Pickups

Rose Mozart Pickups In My Original Design Freestyle Guitar

During Bear's Go Fund Me campaign for his daughter I happened to surf to the Rose Pickups website. I was immediately intrigued by their Mozart pickups which are advertised as humbucker sized Jazzmaster pickups. I contacted owner Ken Currie through email and told him I was interested in finding a P90 style pickup with alnico slug magnets for my original designed Freestyle guitars and thought his Mozart pickups appear to be just what I'm looking for. He responded that after hearing what I wanted he would like to customize the construction for my Mozart pickups to make them taller than his regular Mozarts so they would be less Jazzmaster and more P90 but still with alnico V slugs. We corresponded back and forth a few more times and then I placed the order. I installed them over the weekend and they sound great! The bridge pickup reminds me of a Telecaster pickup mixed with a P90 and the neck pickup sounds like a fat Fender single coil but not quite as "bonky" as a Jazzmaster pickup. It's warmer like a P90 but clear like a good fat Stratocaster pickup. I had him reverse wind the neck pickup so the middle position is hum cancelling when combining the two pickups.

I noticed like Gretsch style pickups I had to raise the bridge pickup so the poles are almost touching the strings to get the optimum tone. I then adjusted the neck pickup for balance in the middle position.

Rose Pickups are really good sounding pickups and they are a pleasure to deal with. I'm blown away that he customized a set of his pickups for me at no additional charge. It seems the Mozarts at least are wound like vintage pickups and are lower output than most standard modern pickups. Most Gretsch players may prefer this anyway but it's something to be aware of if you're interested. String to string clarity is great with these. Made in the USA is also a good bonus.

Excellent prices on his pickups, and a good lineup of styles.

I'm currently putting together a Telecaster Deluxe partscaster with two wide range humbucker pickups. Since I'm a DIY guy, I just scored some threaded alnico 2 pole pieces and am going to try mod my reissue humbuckers such that the bar magnet is removed and the steel screws replaced with the magnets. I'll probably do just the neck pickup as the humbucker is a bit woofy there. Should be interesting...

Excellent prices on his pickups, and a good lineup of styles.

I'm currently putting together a Telecaster Deluxe partscaster with two wide range humbucker pickups. Since I'm a DIY guy, I just scored some threaded alnico 2 pole pieces and am going to try mod my reissue humbuckers such that the bar magnet is removed and the steel screws replaced with the magnets. I'll probably do just the neck pickup as the humbucker is a bit woofy there. Should be interesting...

– Frank_NH

It should sound great. I noticed the difference between magnetic pole pieces and bar magnets with screws is the magnetic pole pieces give you more snap, crackle and pop on the high end. I've come to realize I prefer the magnetic pole pieces design especially in the neck position pickup.

Ken is a close friend of mine. He is working on a new set of Strat pickups and named them after me - BEAR CLAWS. I'm waiting on the prototypes.

It should sound great. I noticed the difference between magnetic pole pieces and bar magnets with screws is the magnetic pole pieces give you more snap, crackle and pop on the high end. I've come to realize I prefer the magnetic pole pieces design especially in the neck position pickup.

– BuddyHollywood

I've found that, at least for the neck pickup, I much prefer a single coil tone and response. My TV Jones Tele neck pickup has about the best tone I've experienced. The original Telecaster Deluxe wide range pickups were designed for Fender in the early 70s by Seth Lover (of Gibson PAF fame), and he specifically voiced them to be humbuckers with a single coil edge. To do this, he used individual magnet pole pieces versus the usual bar magnet and steel screws. The original pole pieces were made of a rare alloy of copper-nickel-iron (CuNiFe) which is no longer manufactured, and therefore vintage pickups fetch prices of $300 and up on eBay and Reverb. Modern reproductions of the originals (by Seymour Duncan, Lollar, Novak, Telenator, and others) use alternative magnet materials (along with special windings/wire/bobbins) to achieve a similar sound. The reissues by Fender (which I have now) are basically just ordinary humbuckers (with some slight revoicing) in a larger wide range cover with four screw adjustment.

There's a lot of info on modding the reissue wide range pickups on the internet, and I'm hoping my experiment with the alnico pole pieces gives me at least a unique sounding pickup, if not something that is close to the original.

BTW - if you want an example of a modern player using an original 70s Telecaster custom/deluxe with wide range humbuckers, search for videos by Tab Benoit (great player and singer!).

I've found that, at least for the neck pickup, I much prefer a single coil tone and response. My TV Jones Tele neck pickup has about the best tone I've experienced. The original Telecaster Deluxe wide range pickups were designed for Fender in the early 70s by Seth Lover (of Gibson PAF fame), and he specifically voiced them to be humbuckers with a single coil edge. To do this, he used individual magnet pole pieces versus the usual bar magnet and steel screws. The original pole pieces were made of a rare alloy of copper-nickel-iron (CuNiFe) which is no longer manufactured, and therefore vintage pickups fetch prices of $300 and up on eBay and Reverb. Modern reproductions of the originals (by Seymour Duncan, Lollar, Novak, Telenator, and others) use alternative magnet materials (along with special windings/wire/bobbins) to achieve a similar sound. The reissues by Fender (which I have now) are basically just ordinary humbuckers (with some slight revoicing) in a larger wide range cover with four screw adjustment.

There's a lot of info on modding the reissue wide range pickups on the internet, and I'm hoping my experiment with the alnico pole pieces gives me at least a unique sounding pickup, if not something that is close to the original.

BTW - if you want an example of a modern player using an original 70s Telecaster custom/deluxe with wide range humbuckers, search for videos by Tab Benoit (great player and singer!).

– Frank_NH

I also prefer a single coil in the neck. I don't currently own any electric guitars with a humbucker in the neck but I do have 1 with a humbucker in the bridge. I like humbuckers in the bridge position depending on the song or the vibe.

Ken is a close friend of mine. He is working on a new set of Strat pickups and named them after me - BEAR CLAWS. I'm waiting on the prototypes.

– Bear

Yeah Bear! You were directly responsible for this thread. It was because of you and the good reviews I read that Ken got some business from me. I saw your Bear Claws being promoted on their site.

– Bear

Is he the one that did the single coil floating pickup for your D'Angelico?

Is he the one that did the single coil floating pickup for your D'Angelico?

– Don Birchett

No, Don. That pickup was made by Tom Short, another genius who unfortunately has gotten out of the pickup winding business.

I have the WRHB Picassos in my baritone build and American Beauties in a Squier Strat. Very happy with them. Looks like prices went up since then so I got lucky even as they are a good value now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation