Pickups

Is there a Humbucker that Jangles?

Dave- Fender Electric Mandolin is the rumoured 'September Gurls' instrument.

I don't believe it.

Fender Stratocaster, bridge and middle pickups and a capo on the second fret for both the rhythm and lead overdub. Compressors up so high the needles bump backwards. Now we're talking.

Sidebar- the myth of the Big Star electric mandolin has a foundation in fact. It can be heard on the demo of O My Soul. Scroll to 3:38 and it chimes in pretty mightily, then disappears for ever...

(boy do I love the new sidebar feature- thanks Bax)

– ade

I agree with you. Strat with quack super compressed.

Thus the TV Jones MagnaTron. Quite singly-coily in tone, perfectly filtertronning. (I refuse to use the Gibson turn for hum-canceling.)

The Electromatic "SuperHiLoTron" is also worth consideration. It sounds to me like a cross between a HiLoTron and a Gibby mini-bucker.

– Proteus

What Tim said. 100% spot on.

bz don't even like reverse wound single coils!!..for humbucking effect...i understand...humbucking bucks frequencies!!

hofner mini humbucker and gibby firebird minis keep some highs..but they ain't ric toasters or dynas

as per beloved big star- the great terry manning who was ears behind big star...engineer, producer and player..had played with bobby fuller before moving to stax/ardent..produced staples!!..went to abbey road and then compass point for 20 years with chris blackwell..what a career!!

his "secret" weapon

a capo on a high fret..with compression gets pretty realistic mando sound..it's in the picking mostly

cheers

All this talk of Big Star, I had to go out and buy their first two albums...only several decades late. Better late than ... something or the other.

Mizewell get the third one too. It's very interesting.

Some have less bass and more highs, but none of them have twang or jangle.

BZ, I completely agree with you. But, in order to make your comment entirely meaningful, it would be helpful for you to define what you mean when you use the term "Jangle". (Mostly because, while I am able to recognize it when I hear it, I am not sure that I could describe it myself.)

It's a 2009, mahogany body, Rick sized pups.

Strange that the online help said the DeArmond style wouldn't fit but from measurements I took they should. The pups are straight, it's just the lighting that makes them look off.

Gretsch 5235 Body photo ProJet Body.jpg

– Naquat

I have a couple of these ProJets. Both have TV Jones pups in soapbar mounts. I have the T'armonds in one and the T90 in the other. They both fit in the guitar with very little modification. One guitar I had to glue in a piece of wood to give the mounting screw something to bite into, because there was a routing for the pup selector wires to the knobs. I was able to do the install in about an hour.

I use the T'armonds equipped guitar the most. You can't go wrong.

I had that same electromatic project guitar with the mini humbuckers and did not like the neck pickup at all although I thought bridge was ok. I put GFS NYIII pickups in which are drop-in replacements and totally loved the result. Price is reasonable and they have wayyyy more chime than stock. They have some beef too- won't be as airy as some other 'gretschy' pickups but I can pretty much guarantee you'll be much happier.

I have a couple of these ProJets. Both have TV Jones pups in soapbar mounts. I have the T'armonds in one and the T90 in the other. They both fit in the guitar with very little modification. One guitar I had to glue in a piece of wood to give the mounting screw something to bite into, because there was a routing for the pup selector wires to the knobs. I was able to do the install in about an hour.

I use the T'armonds equipped guitar the most. You can't go wrong.

– Matt Vogt

IIRC, the DeArmonds were very close but you either had to grind a small amount away or slightly enlarge the rout. I think that it was close enough that some might fit without modification. The P90s drop right in.

bz don't even like reverse wound single coils!!..for humbucking effect...i understand...humbucking bucks frequencies!!

hofner mini humbucker and gibby firebird minis keep some highs..but they ain't ric toasters or dynas

as per beloved big star- the great terry manning who was ears behind big star...engineer, producer and player..had played with bobby fuller before moving to stax/ardent..produced staples!!..went to abbey road and then compass point for 20 years with chris blackwell..what a career!!

his "secret" weapon

a capo on a high fret..with compression gets pretty realistic mando sound..it's in the picking mostly

cheers

– neatone

Some of this "jangle" is relative, and more often than not in male guitarists over the age of 40 and more so of those who have been performing live in loud bands... they have no more sense of normal high end than a smoker who over salts his baloney sandwich everyday at lunch and calls it bland.

Dont agree, take the online hearing test aka mosquito test.. You'll realize just how dang deaf you are to high frequencies.

I'm gonna pick on Billy Zoom here, mostly because I respect him greatly and have been listening to his music since I was in high school. He raged through fender supers and single coil pickups at very high SPL, for a very very long time! And he says often that filtertrons sound like cardboard.. Yah:) Gotta love him for that but... he has lost tons of high end from his hearing over the years because of this.
Reminds me of my drummer, who was all excited one day getting his new Radiohead CD and asked me to climb into the cab of his truck w his new stereo system. He proceeded to melt the center of my ears out w bacon frying sizzling TREBLE from this mega sonic system that I thought would surely shatter the glass windows surrounding us. He had the audacity to be offended that I covered my ears howling in pain. :) Paradigm shift for mr meaty paws of the cymbals, he'd lost massive high end over the yrs from his drum kit without realizing his self destruction. :)

In anycase, Mr Billy has a powerful and bitchen sound on his albums..but live its bright as hell, tell me its not! Listen to how bright his guitar is in this interview of him sharing his signature guitar (a dream of mine I'll never be able to afford) When he picks it for us in the interview you can hear just how much presence this thing has at low levels!

I can get the near the same jangle and twang from the Tvjones Signature filtertrons w stock A500K pots :)

I'm always a bit disappointed if I start playing with a Dyna guitar, then move to a Filtertron, then move to a HiLo. I have to force myself to hear and appreciate the differences. It really is all relative. And they all jangle and twang (in their own sweet ways) relative to the amp settings. Was listening to early Animals yesterday and Hilton Valentine's Tenny sounded great.

Yeah, Seymour Duncan Steve Hunter signature custom shop pickups, expensive but worth every penny.

Register Sign in to join the conversation