Pickups

Is there a Humbucker that Jangles?

OK, I have a 2009 Gretsch Pro Jet and think the pups sound like S&^% !

Is there a Humbucker that will fit without mods in this guitar that will give me some decent Jangle and not sound too dark ? ? I don't want to deal with single coils in some venues ….you know what I mean.

Thanks

What sascha said. That's the way to go.

If a TV Classic doesn't jangle enough...well, it will. Gar-on-teed. But if it doesn't, see his MagnaTron.

Mmmm…I really don't like the look with the pickup rings and when I contacted TV Jones they said the DeArmond pups they sell are a different size than the stock older Pro Jet.

I see Lindy Fralin has a pretty good sounding Mini Humbucker but then I'd probably have to make rings that set in the Pro Jet routes.

Of course Rick pups will fit but the Humbucker pups don't have Jangle at all.

To me Gibson minibucker have some high end -- 'jangle' means different things to different peoples.

Jangle to me is more of a Rick thing

So mount them without the pup rings, the size should be pretty similar between the mini hbs and Filter sized pups.

My Blacktop filtertrons have plenty of jangle, IMO.

Take a hot hairdryer to the pickups you have until all wax leaks out of them. Less resistance to squeezing feedback but brighter. That's the secret ingredient to all these vintage pickups.

Also maybe swap out the pots to 1Meg and install a treble bleed cap across and volume pots.

All that stuff will give you jangle and it's a lot cheaper and easier than swapping out pickups for boutique ones.

The pups in the 2009 are similar in size to Rick pups.

Has anyone tried/heard the "Low '57 Humbucker" Rickenbacker Style pickups from The Creamery?

If you have the early type of Pro Jet with mini humbuckers, the rout for these pickups is the same size as for a standard soapbar P90. TV Jones makes various Gretsch type pickups in soapbar format -- they drop right in, with no mounting rings needed. I believe his T-Armond pickup is also available in this size.

And there is a surround available to enable the standard type of Gibson mini humbucker to drop into a soapbar sized cutout.

There are all sorts of pickup options available for the earlier type of Pro Jet. If yours is the later type of Jet with Blacktop Filtertron pickups then ignore all of this!

It's a 2009, mahogany body, Rick sized pups.

Strange that the online help said the DeArmond style wouldn't fit but from measurements I took they should. The pups are straight, it's just the lighting that makes them look off.

Gretsch 5235 Body photo ProJet Body.jpg

My only hesitation with putting any $ into this guitar is the weight. It literally weighs 10 lbs so I'll need to get a wide padded strap ! !

On the up side….it plays great, intonates well, is a 24.75" scale, has very good sustain, mahogany back -sides-neck, and shipped w/ohsc only cost me $340.

Early type Pro Jet with TV Jones Filtertron (P90 soapbar size case) at the bridge and Bare Knuckle soapbar P90 at the neck.

If George Harrison's output in 1963, With The Beatles, She Loves You, etc., doesn't say that FilterTrons jangle, then I guess I don't know what jangle is.

Firebird style minihums with the bar magnets are pretty bright and jangly. They work great on my 12 string.

If George Harrison's output in 1963, With The Beatles, She Loves You, etc., doesn't say that FilterTrons jangle, then I guess I don't know what jangle is.

– Afire

True but Harri used a Duo Jet not a Pro Jet with pups made in China. LOL

I also may decide to use a Janglebox or other gain devices sometimes and don't want the "noise" they can sometimes generate especially when the wiring in some venues is suspect. Hence the Humbucker query.

Thus the TV Jones MagnaTron. Quite singly-coily in tone, perfectly filtertronning. (I refuse to use the Gibson turn for hum-canceling.)

The Electromatic "SuperHiLoTron" is also worth consideration. It sounds to me like a cross between a HiLoTron and a Gibby mini-bucker.

Tom "TV" Jones will put just about any Filter'Tron pickup (except maybe a Super'Tron) under a P-90 cover. I know a standard P-90 will fit in those openings, but you might have to glue in a piece of wood for any P-90 shaped pickup to screw into it. I've got a guitar with Power'Trons in a P-90 mount. Love it!

I'm looking for my pics of my "Rat Rod" Pro Jet project where we used a satin clear over the original black top after scuffing the top's finish. Fun guitar - but HEAVY!

I also may decide to use a Janglebox or other gain devices sometimes and don't want the "noise" they can sometimes generate especially when the wiring in some venues is suspect. Hence the Humbucker query.

– Naquat

Wasn't the JangleBox designed originally for use with single coil pickups ("toaster" pickups)?

I agree with Proteus. The Magna'tron is about as janglesome as a pickup can be. It's a very sweet pickup.

When anyone says 'jangle' I always think of September Gurls by Big Star, the janglest song I know. I don't know what guitars they used.

Dave- Fender Electric Mandolin is the rumoured 'September Gurls' instrument.

I don't believe it.

Fender Stratocaster, bridge and middle pickups and a capo on the second fret for both the rhythm and lead overdub. Compressors up so high the needles bump backwards. Now we're talking.

Sidebar- the myth of the Big Star electric mandolin has a foundation in fact. It can be heard on the demo of O My Soul. Scroll to 3:38 and it chimes in pretty mightily, then disappears for ever...

(boy do I love the new sidebar feature- thanks Bax)

Register Sign in to join the conversation