Pickups

Installing a T-Armond neck pickup upside down, you do that?

I put T-armonds in my m77 with the bridge one flipped, now wondering if I should flip the neck too if only to make the middle position better due to what TV said. I already love the neck tone as is although it could be a little less boomy but I really mostly play this guitar quietly at home.

Did you read my posts starting 1- 54 heffe?

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

I read the entire Post, which I will say was very interesting. Theres a lot of debate and views in regards to pickup sound and its position on the guitar. Very informative,, good to see TV chime in and straighten things out. But my brain started wondering about pickup relation in regards to Lefty's and then I got all "turned around" myself.Either way great Thread.

Whoa. I can't imagine the one on the left sounding very good.

I never tried flipping around the neck pickup (I like the sound, so why bother?), but getting the polepieces farther from the bridge does help, in my opinion. Those pickups can be harsh if you're not careful.

There's a guy around the Philly area who I think is pretty well known who has a Tele with the bridge pickup slanted the opposite way so the bass strings are picked up closet to the bridge and the treble strings closer to the middle. I would think that would yield good results.

This is probably my favorite post on TGP--After I got the neck re set on my beloved 1955 Corvette, it played like a dream, but there was just something missing, every time I took it to practice despite the gorgeous Neck Dynasonic, I just couldn't get the sound I was hoping for--Then I found this post I flipped the pickup and immediately I heard "that" sound.....Say what you like People---Flipping that pickup Sure worked for me !

Definitely makes a difference, common sense. Gretsch hilotrons are usually orientated towards the bridge, both of them. So I'm used to that sort of balance. I recently got a couple of vintage yamaha archtops with humbuckers(ick) and coil tapped them. The neck pickup was way too boomy with the pole pieces up against the fretboard so I rotated the pickups . Worked great. It's easy to tell , you can hear it on any guitar when you play acoustically. It doesn't take much adjustment to make a differencetoo . Near the bridge as small a move as a 1/4" can make a big difference. I surface mounted some pickups on a big acoustic archtop and there was a big difference. I had to experiment a bit to get it right. I believe that's why the old country clubs with the Dynasonics had the bridge pickup closer to the neck than normal as those pickups can be pretty thin and evil right up against the bridge

I wouldn't turn them around. It limits the tonal range. I think Tom recommends that because he put the cable on the wrong side.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this whole reversing neck pickup started with the Peter Green's Les Paul. Players started reversing their pickups thinking that it was the reason Green's guitar sounded so good. It had nothing to do with his pickup positioning but rather due to the way the pickup was wired. And his magic touch of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this whole reversing neck pickup started with the Peter Green's Les Paul. Players started reversing their pickups thinking that it was the reason Green's guitar sounded so good. It had nothing to do with his pickup positioning but rather due to the way the pickup was wired. And his magic touch of course.

– guitarmike

I dont know who Peter Green is, I will google him but these pickups arent Gibson pickups in any regards unless we are talking about staple single coils.

flipping the pickup the massive output on the low wound strings, was attenuated for a more balanced sound across the strings and relational output to the bridge pickups Low E and A strings. Pole to pole aperture is changed too.

I don't know who Peter Green is either. In my instance I was flipping the humbuckers on the Yamaha(now tapped to be single coils) intentionally to limit the neck pickups frequency response to get the sort of sound I'd grown use to. I had been playing the same pair of 1960s gretschs with Hilotrons through the same rig for years and didn't want to adjust my amps EQ when I switched guitars. I like the guitars all to be in the same ballpark, and my super reverb has plenty of bottom. They're still unique unto themselves but the sound is balanced to my setup.

If you guys really don't know who Peter Green is, you're in for a very pleasant surprise.

bump..because it worth it.. so greatful for the members here w their varying thought processesHaving Tvjones pipe in was fun too! I found this again looking for my SSLVO that I installed T-armonds into. :)

Surprised no ones added that this yet. Hairy fellahs gettin mean!

Fleetwood Mac playing Oh Well

I flipped the bridge and neck Gretsch Dynasonics in my Duo Jet and it works great for me. Dynasonics are extremely sensitive pickups. Flipping them made an even bigger difference than I thought it would. I was ready to TV Jones my Duo Jet but, ironically, TV Jones and Tavo saved me money. I really like the inherent tone of the Gretsch Dynasonics so I'm happy I could get them balanced. Thanks!

ironic post! Peter Florance just wound me a set of Peter Green humbuckers! Everyone thought Peter Green flipped his pickups over for his sound but thats not the case actually.. rather the real story is that the 2 coils in each bucker are mistakenly out of phase WITH EACHOTHER! ya... creates a much cooler near single coil-sh sound while staying hum cancelling. :)

I'm pretty sure I heard a difference when I flipped my neck DeArmond. 20 minutes between A and B can be tough, though. And...fer cryin' out loud...LISTEN TO SOME PETER GREEN and get some lessons in taste and phrasing...tension and release. Link

ironic post! Peter Florance just wound me a set of Peter Green humbuckers! Everyone thought Peter Green flipped his pickups over for his sound but thats not the case actually.. rather the real story is that the 2 coils in each bucker are mistakenly out of phase WITH EACHOTHER! ya... creates a much cooler near single coil-sh sound while staying hum cancelling. :)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

He had the magnets out and mixed them up, IIRC.

I switched both Dynas round on my Sparkle Jet. I was nicely surprised; the bridge seems better balanced now, and the neck a bit less woofly. I'm still thinking about a set of TAs at some point, just to make things a bit quieter, but there'e no hurry. I love this guitar!

I kept my pickups the same way but turned the guitar around.

I like some of that peter green playing on the videos above as he sounds a bit mean n moody. Green Manalishi is cool too.

Not bothered about his magnets and all the wizardy stuff about tone and feel

I kept my pickups the same way but turned the guitar around.

I like some of that peter green playing on the videos above as he sounds a bit mean n moody. Green Manalishi is cool too.

Not bothered about his magnets and all the wizardy stuff about tone and feel

– Vince_Ray

Mean n' moody... Heck...we Blues players LIVE for that! ;)

bump... read this entire thread if you're new. You can clearly see who the boneheads are here in this forum. :)

If you think your Dynas are too boomy, flip them over. a new life awaits! maybe not but you wont have to turn the bass off on your amp anymore.

It does make me wonder if all this trouble with a neck Dearmond may have been the reason Eddie C ended up with a P90 there. I'd love a P90 in a T-Armond shell on my Jet, but I recently emailed TVJones to be told it can't happen.

Register Sign in to join the conversation