Pickups

Installing a T-Armond neck pickup upside down, you do that?

Man, I HATE that "neck pickup directly under the 24th fret harmonic" thing on my tele... it cancels out the 5th fret harmonics when using the neck pickup... and I use the 5th fret harmonics ALOT.

Sure, whatever. I'm convinced it's the main reason that pickup sounds good.

Maybe sounds a little better, or a little worse. Only Tavo knows - he has the guitar in hand.

Pole to pole aperture (when both pickups are on) is altered as well.

Well.. I think this whole thing has been wrapped up and to recap.. The only thing I cared about in the change, was that by flipping the pickup the massive output on the low wound strings, was attenuated for a more balanced sound across the strings and relational output to the bridge pickups Low E and A strings.

This situation was an easy thing on my Tele that is routed for soapbars.. Raising up and lowing the entire pickup was no problem. On the Gretsch Phoenix, the tonerail routes are very shallow for adjusting pickup heights and the filtertron casing on the T-Armond still requires an adaptor plate, making the pickup assembly a tiny bit higher than say a stock filtertron. I did order these T-series as a solid body mount as they first were installed for demo, in a Gretsch spectrasonic. It was simple to just route the stock filtertron cavities 3/16ths deeper to add more compression foam beneath the pickup for the added convenience of moving the pickup body height as much as I desired. It was a different install on the Phoenix.

https://instagram.com/p/ud2...

So much so, in the Phoenix install, I had to scrape out the glued in compression foam to keep the magnets from hitting the strings, and when I was able to get it low enough to mellow out the string pull, it wasnt enough to keep the neck output from being almost a third more in output to the bridge pickup with the wound strings.

Flipped around the problem was solved.. it was meant to be a helpful tip shared like using masking tape on paint drips once the surface has skinned over, when spray painting or say when a lightbulb shatters in its socket and you cant get the base of the bulb out of the socket, grab a carrot, jam it in the socket and twist that sucker right out, injury free (as long as its not plugged into the wall hah).. that sort of thing if your a jack of all trades kinda of guy like myself. YMMV

How it sounds to my ears isnt the point as I mentioned before, my personal taste is always gonna be Filtertrons in Gretsch, they are the voice of that great gretsch sound.. Tvjones Classics to be exacting.

oh and thanks for sharing w us Tom. You may indeed now be a manufacturer of the gretsch sound for pickups but first and foremost you are, and have been for decades; a guitar designer, builder, luthier and man of aural innovation.

Sure, whatever. I'm convinced it's the main reason that pickup sounds good.

– WB

You'd be surprised how many people think the tele's neck pickup is it's weak link. Alot of guys put strat pickups in for that reason. Is the strat's neck pickup at the 24th fret location?

I can see this making a big difference in recording when sound is of the utmost importance. I think I would like to try flipping my neck p'up in Jet to see how that changes things in the lab.

I do want to say though that under the average show experience, for me at least, there is so much noise going on in ambience that subtle tone alteration is a waste of effort.

Although I take occasional offense at Tavo's disparaging remarks about hippies (I am an original late '60s-early '70s ex-one myself ), I completely agree with his assessment of flipping a T-Armond (or Gretsch Dyna for that matter) pickups 180 degrees. It's not just a theoretical cork-sniffing, hair-splitting distinction - it's blatantly obvious to everyone I know who's actually done an A/B listening test. If your low-end is woofy (as mine was with my Duo Jet), this WILL tighten it up, especially if you run your polepieces toward the high side out of the pickup body.

Although I take occasional offense at Tavo's disparaging remarks about hippies (I am an original late '60s-early '70s ex-one myself ), I completely agree with his assessment of flipping a T-Armond (or Gretsch Dyna for that matter) pickups 180 degrees. It's not just a theoretical cork-sniffing, hair-splitting distinction - it's blatantly obvious to everyone I know who's actually done an A/B listening test. If your low-end is woofy (as mine was with my Duo Jet), this WILL tighten it up, especially if you run your polepieces toward the high side out of the pickup body.

– michael fried

I apologize if my dry humor about hippies has come across as serious Michael, its not. I once was in a hard rock band for a season and allowed myself to become an abomination. :)

You'd be surprised how many people think the tele's neck pickup is it's weak link. Alot of guys put strat pickups in for that reason. Is the strat's neck pickup at the 24th fret location?

– ruger9

Yes

I did it.. Maple Laminate Hollowbody and Neck poositon T-Armond. Flipped both ways, no sound difference no less boominess no nothing. Also in the Bridge of solidbody.

I just can't hear any difference with 1/4" movement of the slugs.

If you can hear a difference than that's just dandy, go flip em all round.

the Phoenix has risen once again, again. It just sold so I had to remove the T-armonds and install Powertrons for the deal (push pull switch with tone cap). I'd not heard powertrons in a large body gretsch w 25.5 scale until today... I'm gonna say I now have a new Falcon favorite filtertron.

And some very nice Iron Rangers, Tavo!

And some very nice Iron Rangers, Tavo!

– Nick45

why thank you Nick! They are my new work boots and hopefully will continue to be until I die

I apologize if my dry humor about hippies has come across as serious Michael, its not. I once was in a hard rock band for a season and allowed myself to become an abomination. :)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

I kinda figured that you were joshing, Tavo - my tongue was also in cheek

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Zoinks! Like Hey Scoob, wanna get a haircut and some tats?

seen the new T-Armonds types coming out on the standard spectrasonics? Not adjustable but I'm interested, as they showed up at Summer Namm in a video. I'll have more info in a few days

Honest to goodness, hand on heart, rotating the cases on offset single coil pickups like Dearmonds or Surf 90s makes a huge change to the sound.

Tavo, you are so right.

I rotated the 2K pups in my M-77T years ago to help with the too bright bridge and too dark neck. Does it work? I think it does but it could just be the placebo effect. Regardless I have no plans to ever change them back.

Glad that this thread got resurrected a few days back, 'cause I missed it the first time around...

I'm finding that my Falcon's neck Dyna is just the way I like it, but the bridge is a little too ice-picky. Each sound great in their own right, but the contrast between them is pretty drastic.

Gonna try and flip the bridge pup when I get the opportunity, in hopes of mellowing it out. Cheers for the recommendation!

Honest to goodness, hand on heart, rotating the cases on offset single coil pickups like Dearmonds or Surf 90s makes a huge change to the sound.

Tavo, you are so right.

– ade

Cool to hear that its worked for you Ade, I'm just glad that TV Jones showed up and laid it out for everyone about his pickups.. at that point if a person want to still disagree, enjoy that. Youre on some other atonal tangent of self expression I'm guessing.

Glad that this thread got resurrected a few days back, 'cause I missed it the first time around...

I'm finding that my Falcon's neck Dyna is just the way I like it, but the bridge is a little too ice-picky. Each sound great in their own right, but the contrast between them is pretty drastic.

Gonna try and flip the bridge pup when I get the opportunity, in hopes of mellowing it out. Cheers for the recommendation!

– Itchin For Gretschin

This is how I run my bridge pup,mags to the head and the Melita a touch further away.

This is how I run my bridge pup,mags to the head and the Melita a touch further away.

– Michael Williams

and its intonated correctly?

and its intonated correctly?

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Yep,that's the beauty of the long saddle travel of the Melita. My guys @ Guru set it up that way tinkering with it when I went back with new saddles for the Melita. The neck pup sounds better mags to head in this guitar,guess cause it's semi-hollow or solid? But after playing with it at the shop and flipping the bridge in the same direction it and giving the bridge a smidge pull back it still has the highs,the twang but kinda thick and thumpy,I guess is best way to put it.

So if youre A Left handed player, You dont have to flip your T armond pickups over since they are essentially flipped over during assembly,or arent they?,,,,Now Im really confused.

So if youre A Left handed player, You dont have to flip your T armond pickups over since they are essentially flipped over during assembly,or arent they?,,,,Now Im really confused.

– LA_Manny

Did you read my posts starting 1- 54 heffe?

Register Sign in to join the conversation