Pickups

Kinman noiseless Telecaster pickup compare

Single coil buzz has really been annoying in some venue´s I´ve played in. So I decided to try out the Kinman´s "Broadcaster" plus a Strat middle pickup. I really like them, but judge yourself in my comparo:

Wow - the Kinmans sound great! It's very difficult to hear that much difference - do the Kinmans have a little more midrange?

I've had great results with Kinman Strat pickups in the past, but they are seriously not cheap. I've been thinking about trying some Mojo noiseless Strat pickups but you have got me thinking about Kinman again! His Woodstocks are great.

One of the better players I've known thought the Kinman Strat pickups were great...their core technology seems to be very good.

Hmmm, I much prefer the sound of the Fenders. I listened through good amp and speakers. To my ears the Kinmans seem to have more output and drive the amp / simulation a lot more. I hear less highs, less tight bass and a mid-hump. Like there's a Tubescreamer in low gain settings is on all the time.

The Fender pickups sound much more balanced and bell-like to me. I like that.

I know single-coil noises can be an issue for players but at least to my ears the Kinmans are just too different. Haven't you used an EHX HumDebugger in the past, Holger? Didn't it work for you? The slight 'loss' in tone I get out of mine is nowhere near as noticable as is the pickup swap.

Hmmm, I much prefer the sound of the Fenders. I listened through good amp and speakers. To my ears the Kinmans seem to have more output and drive the amp / simulation a lot more. I hear less highs, less tight bass and a mid-hump. Like there's a Tubescreamer in low gain settings is on all the time.

The Fender pickups sound much more balanced and bell-like to me. I like that.

I know single-coil noises can be an issue for players but at least to my ears the Kinmans are just too different. Haven't you used an EHX HumDebugger in the past, Holger? Didn't it work for you? The slight 'loss' in tone I get out of mine is nowhere near as noticable as is the pickup swap.

– sascha

Hi Sascha,

thanks for your thoughts.

Of course I had to leave the amp settings to make the PU´s comparable. The more output got the amp to saturate a bit, yes. But that can be tweaked.

A bit different tone isn´t necessarily a loss for me. The not so thin and trebly sound actually feels pleasent to play. But I haven´t had a live gig with them PU´s yet. Unfortunately I seldomly play electric guitar live to test it. Damn, why did I spend money for pickup's? Oh well..

The Hum Debugger made my guitar sound like it had some kind of phase on it. That really bugged me, haha. Ok, on a live gig nobody will notice it, nor what pickups you have.

Geoff and i discussed this. have you considered a Power Conditioner?

Register Sign in to join the conversation