Pickups

Humbuckers to Dogears on Archtop

There used to be a video of an Italian fella that adapted an Epi archtop, a Joe Pass perhaps, from hb's to dogear staples. The reason I ask is I'm contemplating converting a Dearmond X155 but am finding little info. I believe I read Lollar can provide a shim to cover the route but haven't inquired yet. Anyone been through this process?

I did the same to a cheap Douglas hollow body some years back. I made my own risers to cover the humbucker routes though. If you can get the risers from somewhere, it's a pretty straightforward conversion.

The X155 has a high neck set and will need spacers. These will hide the humbucker routes.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't bother. I've done it, as have others. The X155 is kind of a dull dog. You'd be better of with a Guild X-175B.

Appreciate your input, Charlie, but to suggest buying another guitar is, to put it lightly, not the sort of advice I was seeking.

I did it on a Sorrento a few years ago. Lindy Fralin stocks risers of various heights that you may need for the bridge pup.

Charlie V is right about the X175b, btw. Best single coils I've ever used. Had mine Plekked to reduce the fret heights, and got a TruArc and some flatwounds. Got Scotty in spades.

The X155 has a high neck set and will need spacers. These will hide the humbucker routes.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't bother. I've done it, as have others. The X155 is kind of a dull dog. You'd be better of with a Guild X-175B.

– Charlie Vegas

Gotta agree with this. I've literally "been there, done that", had the DeArmond guitar, converted it, had old Guild pickups on it, had Gibson style P90's on it later, had the "eddie cochran" setup on it for a little while (DeArmond in the bridge), and it was "just OK" at best.

Sell the DeArmond if it's still in good shape, you see recent Guild X175's at very interesting prices these days, only slightly used. What you'd get for the DeArmond and the price of two P90's and spacers will almost get you the Guild, used.

Not to pile on, because I know you aren't interested in selling, but having long ago sold that Douglas and having owned the Guild X-175 for two years now, I'd agree with what the others have said. The Guild is a fantastic guitar and the pickups sound really good. Love that guitar.

Forum member Andreas put SD Staples on his Epiphone Broadway.

I have a MIK Guild X175B and it's a scary good guitar....the Franz P-90'ish pu's sound incredible. The X175B came with some of the nicest finished round fret crowns this side of a fancy boutique made arch top. I love my Gretsch Power Tenny to death, but the tones that come out of that big Guild with those big single coils just speak to me.

If I can find the right Epiphone Broadway, my pickup plan will be a little different. Much as I'm crazy lately about P-90 sounds in archtops, I'm equally curious about dynasonic single coils. Got hold of a used "dynobucker" neck p/u from a guy on jazzguitar. Barely used. Fits in a HB surround. So that is the p/u I'd try first in a Epi Broadway. Not as concerned about the bridge p/u, as I'm most practicing jazz with the hollowbodies, rarely need or use a second p/u. MD

Guys, it seems you're missing the point but perhaps I should explain. First, living in Spain does not afford you the opportunity of moving a used guitar. They don't accept trade-ins, or at least not the store available to me nor are used guitars moved readily through other avenues. So I have this X155 that is really only the body. Apparently at some point it was model with a floating metal roller tun-o-matic bridge, I'm told Gibson Burstbuckers, a Guildsby and the harness out of probably the guitar the pups came from for the pots are long throw and extend out of the body. So I'm just looking to make a change from the hb's. When I began this thread I was entertaining the dogear mod but perhaps I will make less of an investment with some hb size P90's.

Guys, it seems you're missing the point but perhaps I should explain. First, living in Spain does not afford you the opportunity of moving a used guitar. They don't accept trade-ins, or at least not the store available to me nor are used guitars moved readily through other avenues. So I have this X155 that is really only the body. Apparently at some point it was model with a floating metal roller tun-o-matic bridge, I'm told Gibson Burstbuckers, a Guildsby and the harness out of probably the guitar the pups came from for the pots are long throw and extend out of the body. So I'm just looking to make a change from the hb's. When I began this thread I was entertaining the dogear mod but perhaps I will make less of an investment with some hb size P90's.

– razzer10_4

I've tried Seymour Duncan Phat Cats, GFS Mean 90s and Kent Armstrong humbucker sized P90s and my favorites were the Kent Armstrong pickups. If you're also changing pots I would recommend 1 meg pots if the guitar is naturally dark. I have a guitar with Kent Armstrong P90s with 1 meg pots and it's great. The bonus is the Kent Armstrongs are less expensive than the Seymour Duncans.

Andreas Broadway is a stunner!

If you're good with a Stanley knife or a good pair if scissors you can make neat spacers from a black mouse pad. Since the result will be softer than hard plastic, pickup height adjustment is easier (see Rickenbacker) but you might detect a tad less brightness in the pickups tone....which you may, in fact, like depending upon the guitar.

Another forum member, John, converted a 5120 Sunburst to P90s and I always liked the way that it looked.

There used to be a video of an Italian fella that adapted an Epi archtop, a Joe Pass perhaps, from hb's to dogear staples. The reason I ask is I'm contemplating converting a Dearmond X155 but am finding little info. I believe I read Lollar can provide a shim to cover the route but haven't inquired yet. Anyone been through this process?

– razzer10_4

I know that video. He used an Epi Elitest Broadway. Can't find him on YouTube anymore. Looking for him so I can watch his Jazzmaster video.

This rockabilly cat out of the UK named Jime did it with Staple dog ears.

This rockabilly cat out of the UK named Jime did it with Staple dog ears.

– ThePolecats

Denmark not the UK.

Ah,Vince was a great player,RIP sir.

– JCHiggy

Another taken in 2016.

I've done it to my Samick years ago.

Looks killer Voodoo!

– JCHiggy

I'm sorry to learn about his passing. His website was (and is) a great resource of many things related to Rock'n'Roll and Rockabilly and I spent lots of time there over the years, often returning when I was looking for something specific. R.I.P. Vince.

Thank you JCHiggy! I've made a thread about it back then.But it's all lost in the big crash

That Epiphone of Vince Gordon is gorgeous. Was it released under the model of L5 or is it a Broadway. I thought that the Broadway was Epiphone's version of the L5.

Register Sign in to join the conversation