Pickups

Humbuckers tapped as single coils

I have a Fender Telecaster HH with an Atomic Humbucker. Also a tap coil switch that converts the pickup into a single coil. I can hear the difference and this experience led me to the direction of buying my Gretsch w Dynasonics. Is single coil tapping of humbuckers a legit way of a single coil tone?

Sure it's legit, it's literally a single coil. Will it sound like a Dynasonic? Absolutely not.

Splitting a humbucker is a legitimate single coil tone but because the manufacturer is winding the pickup for the humbucker tone once it's split it may be a lower output single coil. Whether that's good or bad depends on your perspective.

The topic has come up before, with the verdict usually that 1/2 a bucker doesn't always equal a full on single coil. Some do feel tho that 1/2 a Filtron is close to HiLo Trons.

Splitting a humbucker is a legitimate single coil tone but because the manufacturer is winding the pickup for the humbucker tone once it's split it may be a lower output single coil. Whether that's good or bad depends on your perspective.

– BuddyHollywood

"once it's split it may be a lower output single coil"... this was my experience recently on a new guitar. I can't imagine doing the split mid song or mid gig. Big change in volume.

– BuddyHollywood

Yeah, that's it. My dyna's definitely are hotter. I even bought a SD p-90 bridge that was a step up from the coil tap. Thanks, everyone!

Humbuckers split drop off in volume and can sound weak compared to a dedicated single coil pickup. I personally like humbuckers that are asymetrically wound for this purpose because you don't get as drastic a drop off in power and tone.....

Register Sign in to join the conversation