Pickups

HSF Adjustments

I like the factory HSFs in my MIJ Annie. The only niggle I have is that the low strings sound “woofy” relative to the high strings.

Can’t seem to dial out the woofiness without affecting the high strings, making them too plinkey. So amp settings don’t help, don’t want to resort to an EQ pedal. Could change pickups but would prefer to avoid the hassle and expense.

If they were “conventional” hums I would drop the bass side of the pups farther away from the strings, and might also play with pole pieces. But I’ve learned that filters are a different animal, making me hesitant to approach this in the way I might have in the past.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Follow TV Jones settings on his website.

Raise or lower the pup body height, not the pole pieces.

I've found that 1/16" can make a huge difference in how any Filtertron sounds.

Best of luck.

Thx, JD. I had done that already (per your advice in a prior thread) and it made a big difference, improving the overall sound a lot. But I’m still finding the muddiness of the bass strings a problem.

I play Chet/fingerstyle, so I can’t pick the bass strings closer to the bridge for more attack or more twang, either.

I'm assuming that you've tried adjusting the bass string pole pieces a bit too?

What bridge is on the guitar?

You're describing pretty much why I don't love Filtertrons - they're bright and somewhat twangy for a humbucker, but they're still humbuckers. They won't twang like a single coil on the wound strings.

That said, I think lowering the pickup a hair will get you a little less overall bass response, and a little more clarity. Thinner wound strings too btw, are you using something on the heavy side?

Currently, stock rocking bar bridge, D’addario 11-49.

Currently, stock rocking bar bridge, D’addario 11-49.

– Jazzhands11

FWIW, my favorite "tone change" when I had HS's in my -58 was a Tru-Arc SS bridge.

It gave more "treble" so to speak on all strings, but especially the lower ones.

For me, it was the missing link that the HS's needed to my ears. More clarity, more snap and smoothness than the factory bar.

I was using the same brand strings, bouncing back and forth between 10 and 11's.

Best of luck.

The difference a bridge update makes is not THAT huge as it might seem when you read all the praise of certain products in ads, guitar forums etc. We are talking about details here that make a noticable difference to some players and don't for others. There's no bridge that will make your Filtertron a twang monster. What you actually describe is the nature of a FT. I love them for certain things but when I want twang I just use something else. My 2 €-Cents.

The difference a bridge update makes is not THAT huge as it might seem when you read all the praise of certain products in ads, guitar forums etc. We are talking about details here that make a noticable difference to some players and don't for others. There's no bridge that will make your Filtertron a twang monster. What you actually describe is the nature of a FT. I love them for certain things but when I want twang I just use something else. My 2 €-Cents.

– sascha

Agree. I take a lot of advertising with a grain of salt.

Depending on the poster, I can give a little more credibility to comments about a product.

Nothing beats seeing/hearing results for oneself.

While I'll never say that a SS anything for a bridge will turn HS's into a TV Jones replica, it does get closer to my ears, on that particular guitar.

May or may not be the same results that the OP wants, but there was a good change to my ears with that bridge.

I find that bass notes thru a neck filtertron ALWAYS want to sound woofy.

Though, bass notes sound a lot less woofy through my HS filter than thru any TVJ Classic neck pick ups I’ve played.

What amp are you playing through? I usually have to keep the bass down and the treble up.

Fender Deluxe Reverb, reverb/term channel, bass knob on amp turned down appropriately as volume knob is turned up

Register Sign in to join the conversation