Pickups

how many Supertron versions

Wasn't there a Supertron 3, etc. A bass version? -- or were guitar pickups used on the basses. This is about original Supertrons, not TVJ

IIRC they were low output Supertrons on the basses; pretty sure they weren't just the guitar versions.

On vintage guitars, there were , at least, two versions. The first had one piece blades, and the second having 2 or 3 "ply" for each blade.

I'm not sure of the sonic difference between the two, but I'll be able to compare soon enough when I pay off a '69 Firebird.

There were first solid blade called Supertrons. Then there were laminated blade Supertron II. And then the bass version which was briefly advertised as "Supertron III"

I have a couple Supertron III pickups. They are basically laminated blade Supertrons with the coils very underwound. Made for bass guitar. I bought them cheap and plan to have them rewound for guitar.

IIRC the solid ones were Supertron 2's and were featured on the '64-5 Gent ("jazz"); the multi-lam blade Supertron 1's were more a "rock" thing, may be first seen on the AstroJet as "Super Filtertron" whenever the Astros first appeared ('63-4?). Counter-intuitive Gretsch labeling as always.

So would the Supertron say, in a '65 6070 bass be just the same one in a '79 TK-300 bass? I am all over the TK 300 bass scene and recall the one I had sounding good, but if I swapped in a higher output Supertron... hmm -- wonder how it would sound?

I assumed that the laminates were easier to make by being punched out of sheet metal.

There might have also been an idea that you could alter the sound by adding or removing plates...instead of adjusting polepieces

I assumed that the laminates were easier to make by being punched out of sheet metal.

There might have also been an idea that you could alter the sound by adding or removing plates...instead of adjusting polepieces

Register Sign in to join the conversation