Pickups

How come everyone hates Gibson mini humbuckers

Well maybe not everyone ,but I don't see them being used, talked about, many aftermarket repros being made. No one uses Les Paul Deluxes, etc.

So what's the deal?

I don't know anyone who hates them?

I love mini humbuckers, but I tend to like brighter pickups. In my 30's and 40's, I played a LP Deluxe on the road for 14 years as my main guitar. I played it through a Matchless Hotbox, a DanEcho pedal, a Blackface Dual Showman (with 2 6L6s pulled), and a Marshall 4X10 Cabinet.

I was just telling someone today that I would love to have a guitar with mini humbuckers after he showed me that he is building Melody Maker-ish guitar with Mini Humbuckers....

Okay, I'll play.

The Les Paul Deluxe pickup routings also take P90s 1:1. And those are simply the best pickups ever. So if you have the choice between a great pickup (the minis) and P90s (the greatest), what would you do?

...Correct.

I don't! I'm going to build a guitar around these 3 and I have the 4th in my Tele neck position.

I love mini humbuckers, but I tend to like brighter pickups. In my 30's and 40's, I played a LP Deluxe on the road for 14 years as my main guitar. I played it through a Matchless Hotbox, a DanEcho pedal, a Blackface Dual Showman (with 2 6L6s pulled), and a Marshall 4X10 Cabinet.

– Daniel Weldon

A Hotbox! Wow! Do you still have it? How dreamy.....

Early 90s Firebird, mine since 95 or so. Got it for next to nothing via a friend who bought it for me in a pawn shop somewhere in Canada. It can do lots of things and won't go anywhere

No hate here. I’ve have a ‘73 LP Dlx for +40 years. Its been at every gig I’ve played.

Happy to hear all this ... were the Firebird pickups same as what was in LP Deluxe? They look a little differernt at least talking about poles/no poles

A Hotbox! Wow! Do you still have it? How dreamy.....

– hilosean

No, when I went to smaller amps, I didn't need it anymore, so I sold it. It was a great pedal for lighting up that Dual Showman though!

Early 90s Firebird, mine since 95 or so. Got it for next to nothing via a friend who bought it for me in a pawn shop somewhere in Canada. It can do lots of things and won't go anywhere

– fuzzpop

Totally different flavor of pickup, I don't think they sound very much like regular minis, which are lower output and a bit more chimey, but those ceramic magnet, high output pickups, in those 90's Firebirds light up an amp pretty damn good, and to be clear, I love Firebird pickups too! I had those same pickups in this guitar, but I swapped them for Klein lower wind alnico pickups. I miss the crunch factor on the original pickups, but like the sweetness of the Kleins

this is what they sound like now, I recorded the guitar as soon as I put in the new pickups...

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

No hate at all. They are perfect on Firebirds, in my opinion. I used to have a Deluxe Les Paul from the 70s’ and I did swap the original pickups to P90s but both were really good on it

@ Daniel - sounding good and thus nothing like me or mine

I have ceramic Filters in my pre-Fender 6120 SSU too and have no problem making them sound good (to me) even through an old, harsh Marshall 2x12 combo.

That said, that amp is probably why I just don't understand why lots of guys don't use the controls on their guitars.

You just learn to work with what you have

They're fine by me.

IIRC Neil Young's Old Black has one of these in the bridge position, but I'm not sure what specific type. I do know for sure that he swapped out a Dynasonic as it didn't have the sound he was chasing. Seems to have worked out for him.

Leave us not forget the Nighthawk, available in both Gibson and Epiphone versions, which boasted a mini humbucker at the neck, a Fender-style single coil in the middle, and a full-size slanted 'bucker at the bridge. Folks who complain about Gibby/Epiphone neck buckers being "too muddy" ought to like the configuration.

Some years back I did a gig with a guitarist who used one and got a great variety of really nice tones out of his.

It's true...they don't get a lot of love, although many have made great sounds with them. The way things are now, if somebody real famous isn't identified with a piece of gear, it takes a back seat. A '71 LP Deluxe was my first "real" guitar; I bought it in 1977 and I had to sell it around 2002 in a gear purge to pay bills. I haven't played one since, but I sure would like to have one to see how it would sound with what I'm doing now.

The SD mini hum really does justice in this guitar. Love it.

I have always associated them with Johnny Smith, who can do no wrong by my ears.

Love ‘em. Doesn’t Neil’s Old Black sport one ??

Pete Townsend used LP Deluxes for years.

And +1 on their being different from Firebird pickups.

They're fine by me.

– Dave_K

Nice! I never thought about putting one in a Tele but I'm sure it sounds great!

@ Daniel - sounding good and thus nothing like me or mine

I have ceramic Filters in my pre-Fender 6120 SSU too and have no problem making them sound good (to me) even through an old, harsh Marshall 2x12 combo.

That said, that amp is probably why I just don't understand why lots of guys don't use the controls on their guitars.

You just learn to work with what you have

– fuzzpop

Oh I love ceramic Filters too!!! I think they rock, check out the rhythm tone I got out of my old pre FMIC DuoJet with the ceramics on this old song of mine...

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

the lead/slide tone is vintage Supro single coils, another cool pickup!

I have always associated them with Johnny Smith, who can do no wrong by my ears.

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

I'm certainly no Johnny Smith, but my Epi Emperor Regent has a neck mini-humbucker, and my D'Angelico EXL-1 has a Kent Armstrong mini-humbucker, and both have voices very distinct from my Epiphone Broadway, which is essentially the same guitar as the Emperor Regent, but the Regent has a neck-mounted mini-hum while the Broadway has two surface mounted full-size humbuckers.

Both still have a characteristic full warm jazz tone, but with more articulation than the Broadway, and what my ears discern as a brighter tone with more distinct string separation when playing chords. I like 'em!

Register Sign in to join the conversation