Pickups

How can I raise these pickups?

I tested the Filtertrons in my 2003 Chet against the pickups in my import G5120. The import bridge pickup is louder and fuller sounding. I have the “good pickup” as high as it seems to go and the pole pieces close to the strings. Would raising the pickup help? If so, is there a source for longer screws and springs?

Thanks

With Filtertrons (and most other pickups with a bar magnet under the coil) you want to raise the whole pickup, not just the polepieces, and get that pickup as close to the strings as is practical.

Take the two mounting screws out, lift out the pickup, put foam (like mouse pad, ideal for the purpose) under the pickup, on the bracing, put the pickup on top of the foam, put the mounting screws back in and tighten them until the foam compressed to where you get the desired pickup height.

Setzer makes some spacers I have used with much success.

Setzer makes some spacers I have used with much success.

– DCBirdMan

Spacers for an invisible Filtertron routing?

That’s what I figured. I think if I can get the pickups higher that will do the trick. If not, the chrome tv Jones classics get moved from my Cabronita.

That’s what I figured. I think if I can get the pickups higher that will do the trick. If not, the chrome tv Jones classics get moved from my Cabronita.

– DavidE

Your Cabronita likely has the "no ears" Filtertrons, while the Gretsch expects the ears. It's possible you'll have to fashion some ears if you want to swap them out.

Your Cabronita likely has the "no ears" Filtertrons, while the Gretsch expects the ears. It's possible you'll have to fashion some ears if you want to swap them out.

– Otter

Argh. Ears on both? I have a set of Gretsch filtertrons and the neck pickup has the ears....

Why do "ears" make a difference? As long as you can drive the mounting screw through the cover and into the wood, it seems to me that it should be fine. But I'm not too well versed in the nuances of modern Gretsches. Maybe I'm missing something.

Afire may be right. That's why I used qualifiers like "likely" and "possible". I don't have much experience swapping 'Trons, but I know my Cabronita has no ears and my 6120 has'em (and why have'em if it doesn't need'em?).

Anyways, it'll sound so good when you raise'em you likely won't need to change pups.

Does the "good pickup" guitar have a master volume? That will eat some of the signal because even if all pots are wide open, you are going to get more signal grounded than a guitar pickup that only deals with one volume pot on the way to the amp.

Increasing the pot values to 1M instead of 500K helps as well. I'm also a fan of installing a treble bleed cap on the volume pots. All this stuff increases signal along with raising the pickup.

A little bit of rubber tubing under the bridge pickup and the pickup is raised. I’ll test it shortly. I’m guessing the neck pickup has ears since it didn’t come out like the bridge.

There are no ears on the bridge pickup in the Chet.

No ears on the neck pickup either. They aren't needed, as the pickups screw directly to those braces, and are not suspended by their ears from the pickup rings.

No ears on the neck pickup either. They aren't needed, as the pickups screw directly to those braces, and are not suspended by their ears from the pickup rings.

– Proteus

Must be something else holding it in then. The bridge pickup lifted right out. The neck pickup did not. I didn’t investigate further as it didn’t need the rubber.

Register Sign in to join the conversation