Pickups

HiLo bucker ?

You could take a junk/hacked single p/u vette, rout for another hi lo right above the stock one and wire em up like a bucker-- more trouble that it's worth but wonder what the sound would be like... maybe not that much different but at least no single coil noise?

I'm mainly a humbucker guy and that sounds plausible.

Well you're not too far out in left field. A pickup manufacturer in England designed a pickup that uses two Gold Foils and my friend and master luthier, Joe Yanuziello used them in a recent build. They have coil splitting and sounded gorgeous. Scroll down to the Stella Bella Strada. https://www.yanuziello.com/...

Wow, Journeyman! Those Yanuziello guitars are fabulous! And the armchair tour of his shop is something else!

Very impressive! How does he keep everything so clean and tidy looking?

Instruments are beautiful and custom shop quality.

Very impressive! How does he keep everything so clean and tidy looking?

Instruments are beautiful and custom shop quality.

– Hoot Owl

Having never seen a custom shop guitar (Fender or Gretsch) I'm just speculating when I say that Joe's work is probably better. He makes almost every part; the knobs, pickup covers, (except for those dual goild foil ones) the metal bridges....and he's been doing it for a long time. He struggled for years, lost a finger a few years back, but pursued his own design aesthetic and stuck to his guns regardless. Finally he's getting some recognition, thanks in part to a profile in Fretboard Journal, and now has two dealers that sell his instruments in the US. Bill Frisell bought one and used it on All We Are Saying and one of the videos that he did. The Stella Bella Strada was for a local guitarist and largely for fun, but he's going to build a series of 10, one of which has already sold. I'm really happy for him.

Yeahman! Those are ridiculously gorgeous guitars. I've noticed that aesthetically perfect artifacts, finished to perfection, have a kind of simple look. Thoroughly sorted, no detail left to chance, every piece there for a purpose and harmonizing with the rest. Certain classic cars attain that sense of self-contained completion. Taste and judgment married to utter mastery of craft.

These guitars have it in spades - from body shapes and proportions to every line, curve, and surface of every bit of gorgeous hardware to wood deployment and grain textures to colors. Heart-stopping stuff.

And resonant enclosed hollowbodies with single coil pickups - be still my leaping heart! (Which, I know, stopped in the hyperbole of the previous paragraph. It surged back to life.)

You see lots of guitars described as works of art, but every one of these really IS. (OK, I don't care for the alternating black-white binding on some, but that's an aesthetic choice.)

Not a whisper of a price anywhere - which probably means if I have to ask, I can't afford it. (And nothing currently in stock.)

Any idea what a Yanuziello costs? I think I'd offload a number of guitars to have one. Beauty is truth and truth is beauty, a thing of beauty is a joy forever, etc.

They just look so consummately simple.

Yeahman! Those are ridiculously gorgeous guitars. I've noticed that aesthetically perfect artifacts, finished to perfection, have a kind of simple look. Thoroughly sorted, no detail left to chance, every piece there for a purpose and harmonizing with the rest. Certain classic cars attain that sense of self-contained completion. Taste and judgment married to utter mastery of craft.

These guitars have it in spades - from body shapes and proportions to every line, curve, and surface of every bit of gorgeous hardware to wood deployment and grain textures to colors. Heart-stopping stuff.

And resonant enclosed hollowbodies with single coil pickups - be still my leaping heart! (Which, I know, stopped in the hyperbole of the previous paragraph. It surged back to life.)

You see lots of guitars described as works of art, but every one of these really IS. (OK, I don't care for the alternating black-white binding on some, but that's an aesthetic choice.)

Not a whisper of a price anywhere - which probably means if I have to ask, I can't afford it. (And nothing currently in stock.)

Any idea what a Yanuziello costs? I think I'd offload a number of guitars to have one. Beauty is truth and truth is beauty, a thing of beauty is a joy forever, etc.

They just look so consummately simple.

– Proteus

I remember one of these two from a year or two ago from Folkway Music in Waterloo, Ontario was in the neighborhood of $5000 CDN:

http://www.folkwaymusic.com...

http://www.folkwaymusic.com...

Another one sold (not sure of date) at a well-known shop in Toronto ($4200 CDN):

https://www.12fret.com/no-l...

They really are works of art.

Wait, isn't that what the Super HiLo'Tons in the G5622's are? Maybe not stacked, but they are humbuckers, ya?

Most of Joe's pickups are wound by Lindy Fralin to Joe's specs. He based them on the old Dearmond pickups that appeared on so many mail order guitars many years ago; that's in concept anyway.He makes the covers himself. The ones on the Stella Bella Strada are the exception.

Two Hilo coils in series, FT in size with similar magnets? Maybe it would sound like an extra wide Filter.

Speaking of Hilo-buckers, Curtis Novak offers a high-powered, humbucking Hilotron, which I plan on using on a Nashville Corvette body build.

Dang if I ever get the Princess or Twist I am after I will use one of these Novak buckers.

Register Sign in to join the conversation