Pickups

hey pickup wiring dudes

Could a 3 way Strat switch be wired on a Strat to be:

forward position =bridge and middle p/u middle / straight up position = middle p/u rear/away position = middle and neck p/u

no reason it wouldn't work. you're just duplicating positions 2/3/4 on a 5-way Strat switch to the three positions of the new switch.

Isn't the middle coil out of phase on the five way switch? We used to get the 'in between' on a three way switch by jamming a piece of paper, to hold the switch in what would be the two and four positions of the five way switch.

I think that to wire it the way Birdman wants it wired, the middle pickup will need to be in phase with the other two. Otherwise it will be always be in quack mode.

EDIT : Why not use a five way switch, to get the most out of the available options? I'd miss the two and four positions of a three way switch, we struggled with them for a long time.

Well I am not really a Strat person, but thought of this idea since the 5 way scene ... ahh just don't need it. 3 tones is plenty

I don't think 5 ways became stock on Strats until mid 70s

I don't know enough to say but the 2 and 4 sounds everyone calls 'out of phase'... I just thought it was some sort of tone cancellation going on.

Still I have gotten that sound using Stratbuckers... don't have to be single coils.

So when I get around to it, will report in. All sorts of sick guitar projects in the works right now.

With the middle pickup out of phase with the other two, when you are in position two the bridge and middle pickups effectively become a spaced out humbucker, and in position four the neck and middle pickups do the same thing. They're very useful tones IMO, but to each their own.

I think that to wire it the way Birdman wants it wired, the middle pickup will need to be in phase with the other two. Otherwise it will be always be in quack mode.

wouldn't that be the whole point of wiring it thus?

There are no “out of phase” positions on a standard Strat 5-way switch. The two in-between quack sound positions are in phase.

Could a 3 way Strat switch be wired on a Strat to be:

forward position =bridge and middle p/u middle / straight up position = middle p/u rear/away position = middle and neck p/u

– DCBirdMan

I don’t think a standard Strat 3-way can do that.

sincere question: why not? as i said above, you're just duplicating the three middle positions of a 5-way switch. seems to me that you could attach the neck PU to one position, the bridge pickup to the opposite one, and the middle pickup to the center and then run short jumper leads to the 1 and 3 positions. i wired up a guitar with 3 pickups and a rotary switch, and had no problem porting one pickup over to another position with jumpers. what am i missing?

The old school Strat mod was to wire the bridge & neck pickups to the switch, like a regular 2-pickup setup....and then to put the middle pickup on a seperate volume control. The 3 knobs would then be switch volume, middle volume, and tone. This way you can have all possible combinations, and the moddle switch position is very Grtesch twangy. I have mine like that, & I very rarely ever turn the middle pickup on. Strats are much cooler as 2-pickup guitars. You can also take the magnets out of the middle pickup, flip the coil out of phase, and use it for hum cancelling. That was a common 70's Rock mod.

There are no “out of phase” positions on a standard Strat 5-way switch. The two in-between quack sound positions are in phase.

– Charlie Vegas

that's what I thought. Just some kind of tone cancellation makes that sound. What I don't get tho is dudes gettin all breathless about Strat pickups-- if Duo Sonic, Musicmaster pickups are really the same damn thing, why aren't they getting the same sort of adoration, etc.

– Charlie Vegas

Ah, I stand corrected. I dug into it a little bit more you're right. Apparently, position 2 and 4 are commonly called "out of phase", which is incorrect. I fell for the legend, and never really looked into it. It's fascinating how that works! Thanks for sharing the correct information Charlie Vegas.

A stupid thought, but couldn't you wire up a standard 5 way switch and then either a) cut a shorter cutout in the pickguard so positions 1 and 5 are inaccessible, or b) jam something in the ends of the standard pickguard cutout so you get the same effect?

I like Billy's wiring idea, though personally I wire up a standard 5 way switch and add a push/pull on the lower tone control to engage the neck pickup in any position. Same overall result, just a different way of getting there.

5 way Strat switches aren't binary!

Register Sign in to join the conversation