Pickups

Help! Want Dynas in a P90 hole.

I've been missing my Jet BAD, but I do have a really nice Les Paul 50s Tribute that's chambered and very light. I figure if I could get some Dynas...or equivalent... in there.... Any suggestions? I LOVE the 2000s in my 5120...I wonder if they could be made to fit...but I'd have to find another set. I find them to compare very nicely with the Dynas in my '54 6192. I don't want to screw them right into the top.

I have one. Absolutely fantastic!

I'm about the throw one in the neck of my Gibson goldtop, talked to TVJ tech and they said it should pair up nicely with the Gibson bridge P90, which I love

If they fit, I recommend them highly. I just put a set in my 6118T (filtertron mount) and they have made it into the guitar I wanted it to be. (That and the Tru-Arc).

I'm about the throw one in the neck of my Gibson goldtop, talked to TVJ tech and they said it should pair up nicely with the Gibson bridge P90, which I love

– Chmason85

That combination was good enough for Les Paul himself.

I've discovered that overall I prefer the sound of a bar magnet with screw slugs for the bridge pickup and slug magnets for the neck pickup just like Les Paul discovered almost 70 years ago!

– Chmason85

It didn't work in a Gibson LP Special for me. I was planning to keep the bridge P90 and put a T-Armond in the neck. After installation the middle position was out-of-phase. When I switched the leads the middle position was dead. T-Armond sounded good but the pus just didn't pair well without any tinkering. Went back to P90s.

I've wanted this for a while. Either I'll get one for the neck of my P90 Edwards LP-92 or just find a deal on a used LP Studio or Korean Epiphone.

Nice recommendation sascha!

It didn't work in a Gibson LP Special for me. I was planning to keep the bridge P90 and put a T-Armond in the neck. After installation the middle position was out-of-phase. When I switched the leads the middle position was dead. T-Armond sounded good but the pus just didn't pair well without any tinkering. Went back to P90s.

– sascha

The easy fix would have been to flip the magnets in the P-90. I guessing when you swapped leads you were shorting out the pups because you didn't separate the shield wire.

I think you're completely right, Charlie. Though I wouldn't call disassembling a pickup an easy fix.

Swapping the magnets in a P-90 is child's play. Much easier then fishing out the wiring and re-soldering. I know. I've done both.

Just remembered. There is another option, dynas in a HB size case. "Dynabuckers". Seymour Duncan made them. Supposed to be tonally the same as the highly regarded dynasonics they made in recent years. (I believe Tim is on a video comparing these to T Armonds.)

Of course these won't help you in filling a P90 type rout ...

I have a set of these dynobuckers, still haven't found the right guitar for them. MD

Register Sign in to join the conversation