Pickups

Help me identify bridge from neck pickups

These Filtertrons are from a 1999 6119, I’m planning to sell them but the tech who removed them did not mark which was the bridge or neck pickup. They both have a little “hook” on the backside that are at opposite ends from each other but I’m not sure if that’s a clue or not. Is there a way to tell which is which? Thank you

I circled the “hooks” I mentioned in this shot

Do you have a multimeter? Measure the resistance of each pickup, the bridge pickup will have higher resistance.

Look at the pickup covers. The taller pickup cover will be the bridge. The shorter pickup cover will be the neck.

I dont have anything to test with but I might know someone who does. I am unable to see a difference in cover height between the two, neither could my wife who offered to help

There never was a difference between neck and bridge pick ups in the past. That's a modern thing. I don't know when it started though. But, like mentioned, if you have them measured you can just call the more powerful one the bridge pick up.

I think you can see a little bit of string wear on one edge of the pickup at the bottom of the picture. That should line up with the strings only in one spot.

And that pickup seems to be more tarnished.

The one with the longer wire is going to be the neck pickup.

This'll count for nothing but I've a neck one from the same-ish period and the wire is black.

The one with the longer wire is going to be the neck pickup.

– Tim

Based on that I know which is which now!

Based on that I know which is which now!

– Mr_Christopher

Excellent!

Register Sign in to join the conversation