Pickups

Has anyone taken a modern Black Top apart?

I'm not fond of the black in the black top pickups and I might take the nickel covers off of my pre fender Filtertrons and put them on my blacktops, if they will fit that is.

If you have taken your modern black top pickups apart and took pictures could you post them here for me?

I took mine apart, so that I could use the base plates to mount regular HS Filtertrons. It worked really well, but I don't have pics.

whats in a name when you can order all tvjones filtertrons w open tops/aka blacktop.I've installed a few sets of classics w open tops.

I'm not wanting to replace my blacktops, I'm just wanting to hide the black I was thinking I could do that by changing pickup covers, assuming the filtertron covers from my 1999 filtertrons will fit (those pickups are just collecting dust and I doubt I could sell them), and it doesn't require surgery to do it.

Those pickups are not the same, gosh I hope i don't confuse people. But you get the idea, I want to change pickup covers so the black isn't so prominent

I suppose it's possible, but judging by the screw holes, it also looks like there may a mounting difference.

I suppose it's possible, but judging by the screw holes, it also looks like there may a mounting difference.

– Kevin Frye

Those are not the same style pickups, they were the quickest photos I found online. i used those ONLY to show the difference between black and not black pickups.

Here's one taken apart, the middle one is ablacktop with an HS filter below it http://gretschpages.com/for...

The covers could be swapped The blacktop covers are soldered to their base I used a dremel to take a cover off by cutting the solder joint, you could use a variety of ways to carefully cut through the solder. Or a powerful gun but be careful (a soldering gun...)

To mount the HS filter cover you could either try to solder it on to the blacktop base, or use a little dab of epoxy in the same spot, or drill an 1/8' hole in the Blacktop filter base that lines up with the HS filter's cover mounting holes and get some long narrow bolts with rounded countersunk heads and appropriate nuts and bolt the HS filters to the blacktops base. This will make your HS filter covers look even better of course.

Here's one taken apart, the middle one is ablacktop with an HS filter below it http://gretschpages.com/for...

The covers could be swapped The blacktop covers are soldered to their base I used a dremel to take a cover off by cutting the solder joint, you could use a variety of ways to carefully cut through the solder. Or a powerful gun but be careful (a soldering gun...)

To mount the HS filter cover you could either try to solder it on to the blacktop base, or use a little dab of epoxy in the same spot, or drill an 1/8' hole in the Blacktop filter base that lines up with the HS filter's cover mounting holes and get some long narrow bolts with rounded countersunk heads and appropriate nuts and bolt the HS filters to the blacktops base. This will make your HS filter covers look even better of course.

– Toxophilite

Thank you!

Yes, get some proper Filtertron mounting screws and bust screw the cover down right to the base. Super easy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation