Pickups

Gretsch Dynasonics vs TVJ T’Armonds in Similar Guitars?

Is there enough of a difference to notice and justify buying a similar guitar? I know that some people believe that the difference is noticeable in Jets, but I’m thinking about in hollow bodies.

I currently own a 5125 with Dearmond 2000s, and a Country Club with T’Armonds. These 2 guitars don’t present an apples to apples type comparison imo and, although happy with both, I was thinking about a 6120 or Country Club with factory equipped Dynasonics. Would the two guitars of similar size produce a noticeable difference in sound? Would the Dynasonics be a significant upgrade to the Dearmond 2000s and/or a downgrade to the T’Armonds? Thanks

Personally, I haven't felt any need to replace the stock Dynasonics in any of my full hollowbody guitars so equipped. I was never quite satisfied with the stock pickup in my Jet, however, and T-Armonds (or Seymours) bring those guitars fully to life.

A Country Club with T-Armonds should be a none-better-than instrument. I can't imagine hoping for a richer, more textured and inherently interesting tone. I'm afraid if I swapped out to T-Armonds on my Club or 6120s, they'd sound gooder than I could bear. But since I can't imagine my Club or Dyna 6120s sounding better than they do, I can't imagine what that sound would be. (I also can't imagine what physicists are on about when they talk about more than 3 dimensions of space and one of time.) So I can't tell you whether the stock Dynas would be a downgrade on the Club. I've just never any motivation to "upgrade" from the stockers.

The 5125 with 2000s is very much its own thing, yes. Sorta Dynasonic crossed with Hilotron. Definitely in the Dyna family, but not really "junior" to Dynasonics. More like a quirkier, slightly wirier cousin. And, yes, either stock Dynas or T-Armonds would make a significant difference in that guitar. That difference would feel like an upgrade - if what you wanted was full-throated Dynasonic. But you have that covered in the Country Club. Unless the Club is just too rich, juicy, and responsive for you, and you want that tone but a little less so...I don't see a reason to change the unique character of the 5125 with its 2000s.

Because either stock Dynas or T-Armonds in that would turn it into a slightly smaller sounding version of the Club (that is, less boomy and resonant, especially in the bass, and slightly thinner in the highs), rather than the crisp, snarling, wiry cousin it now is.

Oh. (Reading your first line more carefully.) Should you buy another guitar? That's different. If the kids have shoes and you're not going to be on the street tomorrow, you should always buy another guitar. And it follows from the above ramble that a 6120 with Dynas is a distinctive halfway point between the ends of the Dyna-Namic continuum you now command. By all means, you need a 6120 with Dynas.

OR, better yet, a Jet with Dynas. (Unless you already have one. In which case, how about the new Players Edition Dyna Jet? That one's got me curious: Dynas on a sportier guitar with stud-mounted fixed bridge!

I should have clarified that I am quite happy with the contrast between the 5125 and the Country Club. I also have a Tennessean with HiLoTrons and am wondering whether or not to complete the cycle with something with Dynas. That is why I wanted to compare both to their equivalents. I generally prefer full size bodies to Jets, but would not rule one out.

The kids have shoes and I should be satisfied with what I already have and am simply thinking about that potential “MY” guitar as I contemplate reducing the herd in my old age to maybe three; one some sort of Filter guitar, one some sort of Dyna guitar, and a third of whatever suits me at the moment (maybe my 2655T with a Supertron and a T90). My Filter equipped guitars suit me just fine and I probably should and could make that choice from the current full load, but there’s always that one more and a Dyna equipped guitar might make that decision more well balanced. Besides, half my enjoyment of this place would be gone if there wasn’t another guitar to ponder.

Can't speak to the T-Armonds but I was very happy with the difference between the stock Dynas in my 2008 LDS Falcon and the vintage Dynas I replaced them with. I found the stock ones thin and brittle sounding despite a bunch of pole piece and shimming height adjustments.

Can't speak to the T-Armonds but I was very happy with the difference between the stock Dynas in my 2008 LDS Falcon and the vintage Dynas I replaced them with. I found the stock ones thin and brittle sounding despite a bunch of pole piece and shimming height adjustments.

– tabletop

This is a good example of what I am wondering about; comparing a stock LDS Falcon with a Club with T’Armonds. I like and wouldn’t want to change the pickups in my current guitars and am wondering if I am missing out on something by not also having Dynas. Now, if I could get an LDS Falcon at a can’t turn down price, I’d be a happy camper whether or not the pickups had to be replaced! Thanks

Register Sign in to join the conversation