Pickups

Gretsch Single-Coil Pickup Impedance Registry

OK I know it's not a Grestch but I'll add this anyway.

Guitar: '99 DeArmond M-75T Pickups: DeArmond 2K

Bridge: 7.46 Neck: 7.35

Measured @ jack.

Guitar: 2004 White Penguin Pickups: Dynasonic.

Bridge: 7.10 Neck: 7.73

Measured @ jack.

I have two original 60's Hi'lo's - 2.89 and 3.10. Also a TV Jones Hi'lo weighing in at 4.15.

Doesn't anyone have a vintage Dynasonic equipped hollow body?

Could it be that Gretsch put the 11K+ Dynas in the Jets and the 11K- Dynas in the hollow bodies? Just a gut feeling.

Can someone confirm or bust this 'myth'?

– Ratrod
– Ratrod

I have a late '53 production '54 Country Club. Pickups measure 8.0k ohms neck and 8.1k ohms bridge. Interestingly, the DeArmond 2ks in my Dearmond Starfire Special measure 7.9k neck and 8.0k bridge, nearly identical.

2012 White Falcon G6136T-LDS

Bridge: 7.69 Inductance 2.21 Henry

Neck: 7.71 Inductance 2.23 Henry

My vintage Dyna measures:

new replacement HiLo Tron, Gretsch brand, bridge position: around 3.55 K ohms (analogue meter)

edit-measured again, about 3.9k, probably more correct as I also measured another pickup (non-Gretsch) which had nominal value.

Setzer would a reading of around 7 be low for a Dearmond FHC pickup?

Maybe Joey. That reminds me I need to add a RC DeArmond to this list.

TArmonds on a 2004 DSW:

Bridge 10k Neck 7.5k

Both together? About 5.75k Is this normal, or are they out of phase? They don't sound out of phase, and there's no noticeable drop in volume switching back and forth. Can anyone explain this to an electrotard like me?

I have three vintage DeArmonds (from the 50's with the tiny white cable) all measures between 9.4k to 9.6k

Shouldn't this really be called a Resistance Registry?

Quite right Billy.

These measurements are DC resistance. Impedance is measured with AC, and results can be different depending on the frequency used to measure the coil(s).

It could be argued that at these very low frequencies, that dc resistance is "close enough". At these very low current and voltages, the distance front pup to amp, ac resistance won't be very far off. Also skewing this data can be ant capacitors that may be installed inside the guitar ( changes ac circuit ) on dc the cap will charge to voltage on test circuit. At radio freq this would be a different story.

Oh the more resistance the more voltage genorated by the pickup.

I was just being my usual smart-ass self, but really, impedance will be different from DC resistance and will vary with frequency. If impedance and inductance were constant, all pickups would sound the same.
DC resistance is a practical way to compare pickup windings because most of you don't have the means to measure the impedance at various frequencies and graph the results. I'm sure there will be an app for that soon though, if it doesn't exist already. I have a friend who currently uses his ipad mini to do FFT analysis and graph phase shift.
I'm considering getting one just for the electronics apps.

Again correct , Billy.

Another important variable is one called resonant frequency. It is the dominant or peak frequency a coil operates at.

Now please don't think I'm implying that there is any magic values for a pickup.

No, I am saying that due to the minute variances in coils, no two will sound identical. Just as no pickup will sound best to all people. And DC resistance is a good measure of output, but not necessarily voicing. Modern day winding practices will minimize these variances so that modern pickups are more consistent.

Pickups are like voices, love them for what they are. If they "speak" to you, be happy!

Pardon my ignorance, but where do you put the multimeter tips to measure this? I'm a newbie to Gretsch wiring.

– John Elwood

with humidified fingers.

Register Sign in to join the conversation