Pickups

Got an interesting email from Curtis Novak

I think your head might explode if you pulled the poop civilian pickups from your offset and you put in a set of Novak pickups, like I just bought from Curtis. He winds and creates with his ears like I do with my pedals.

He doesn't sniff corks. He burns them.

I like the listening with their eyes bit!

I love JBL speakers, they look (and sound) so cool. And old alnicos with bell caps, so pretty!!

Then I realized that no-one can hear how cool my speakers look!

– Toxophilite

Man, those old JBL speakers were the essence of cool with that aluminum dust cap peaking through the grill. I thought about getting the aluminum dust cap on my Weber California for just that reason, but given the shrillness of the sound to many, I opted for the cloth. As you say, no one hears how cool they look.

On the other hand, my Executive that does have the D-130F ... that one sounds as good as it looks.

God forbid anything on the GDP cause a head to explode...

– Twangmeisternyc

Gold piping came close!

If "a magnet is a magnet is a magnet", they would just make ALL pickups out of ONE magnet. They DON'T.)—Ruger9

It’s a good point - but on the other hand they might make it out of whatever they thought would reconsile with popular beliefs to make it saleable .

As I said - i have no idea but I am fascinated by this thread. It’s the first time of heard it suggested that there is no sonic difference between magnets ...

– eCastro

Oh I'm not at all arguing that point- FeCrCro is being used because it's threadable and not cost-prohibitive.

But all magnets do not = all magnets. That's my point: you can make a pickup out of whatever you want... but to use FeCrCro and say "magnet type doesn't matter, a magnet is a magnet" is sales pitch. Otherwise hundreds of winders would have stopped with whatever the first alnico they used in a pickup..... they would have kept using cobalt (like in the Charlie Christian pickup) had IT not become cost-prohibitive.

Thanks Ruger9. I’m no closer in reconciling all the differences of opinions here. So for me , where possible, I’ll still want to buy original specs, original materials... unless I hear it first and am convinced .

Thanks Ruger9. I’m no closer in reconciling all the differences of opinions here. So for me , where possible, I’ll still want to buy original specs, original materials... unless I hear it first and am convinced .

– eCastro

Well, you'll only have 2 options:

Buying vintage Fender WRHBs, which were hit-or-miss; they could be wound anywhere from around 9.5K to 11.5K. But they do have the CuNiFe magnets, and you could always have anyone re-wind them if neccesary.

Buy Telenator CuNiFe WRHBs. He's closed shop, so they would have to be used, and not many were made, so they'll be hard to find. But they are NEW, and consistent.

Most people agree WRHBs made with FeCrCro get you "largely in the ballpark"... but it's also convoluted. Basically, the originals came with 1M pots. The new FeCrCro ones (also alnico ones) are recommended to be used with 500K pots. That right there shows you the FeCrCro is brighter in some way.

Again, if it were ME, I wouldn't go on a quest for CuNiFe, unless I bought a whole guitar that I liked that had them in it already. Because you just don't know what you're getting.... I would get the Creamery ones with the A2 substituted for the hidden poles:

"My vintage take on the original pickups have either 12 threaded magnets or a combination of 6 threaded magnets and 6 x hidden Alnico 2 rod magnets. With the threaded & Alnico 2 rod magnets together the sound is ever so rounder, warmer with a few less highs - Great if you want to take a little 'spank' out of the bridge position."

Thankfully I’m not looking for WRHBs - It was just the OP and the thread went from there so I was speaking generally . Only pickups I’d be tempted buy is some staples... but the choices there are slim

Thankfully I’m not looking for WRHBs - It was just the OP and the thread went from there so I was speaking generally . Only pickups I’d be tempted buy is some staples... but the choices there are slim

– eCastro

Ha! Staples? The only current-production ones I know of, that actually FUNCTION like staples, are the SD Custom shop ones. (and of course SD Dynasonics/TVJ T-Armonds, kissing cousin to the staple)

I think the funniest thing is that in the 70’s (and 80’s) WRHB’s were seen as evindence of that Fender can’t make a decent (that is: Les Paul sounding) humbucker.

But I really like them - just because they don’t sound like muddy PAF’s. When I bought my custom tele (late 80’s), no one wanted them. I think now I could make a profit for just selling the neck pup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation