Pickups

GFS Filtertron Retrofit

GFS says these, including mounting rings, adapters, etc., will be available in October. I am a fan of GFS parts, and I'm looking forward to this. They are supposed to be a direct drop-in compatible part.

For what? Regulation-size Gretsch/TVJ Filter'Trons?

But why? I'm a fan of GFS too - in the "great for the money, almost kinda gets you there" sense. But if you've already spent the money and HAVE some variety of Gretsch/TVJ'Trons...GFS will have to have significantly upped their game to replace either.

And if you're putting them in a guitar that isn't already cut for the regulation Filter'Tron size, why not just use their bucker-sized versions?

Ah. Unless the idea is to look as completely Gretsch as possible without spending that money. I see.

I forget that Gretsch has become so cool players now want to adopt the look on a budget. Ironic that Gretsch is putting bucker-sized Something'Trons in some of their guitars, chasing the broader market, just as the broader market is trying to go Gretschier...

Surely I'm either missing something obvious or desperately over-thinking it.

For what? Regulation-size Gretsch/TVJ Filter'Trons?

But why? I'm a fan of GFS too - in the "great for the money, almost kinda gets you there" sense. But if you've already spent the money and HAVE some variety of Gretsch/TVJ'Trons...GFS will have to have significantly upped their game to replace either.

And if you're putting them in a guitar that isn't already cut for the regulation Filter'Tron size, why not just use their bucker-sized versions?

Ah. Unless the idea is to look as completely Gretsch as possible without spending that money. I see.

I forget that Gretsch has become so cool players now want to adopt the look on a budget. Ironic that Gretsch is putting bucker-sized Something'Trons in some of their guitars, chasing the broader market, just as the broader market is trying to go Gretschier...

Surely I'm either missing something obvious or desperately over-thinking it.

– Proteus

Ironic that Gretsch is putting bucker-sized Something'Trons in some of their guitars, chasing the broader market, just as the broader market is trying to go Gretschier...

I remember years ago touring (Utah Idaho Wyoming Colorado) with my rock band doing gigs with just a pre Fender DuoJet. No one was into Gretsches in my neck of the woods. I liked that just fine! I had a weird set up. Gretsch - Visual Sound Volume - Matchless Hotbox - DanElectro Dan Echo - 65 Fender Dual Showman Head (with two output tubes pulled), and a Marshall 4X10 closed back cab. I loved that setup.

I'm thinking a low-cost Ibanez Artcore with a set of these installed would be so totally gnarly.

Not bad. I did this Artcore AFS75T with original GFS RetroTrons trying to avoid spending for Gretschs.

I love the guitar, but it didn't work...

I think the reason one would opt to use pickups of the exact size as Filtertrons as opposed to the full humbucker size Retrotrons (which I've had before) is because some of the filtertron tone comes from the fact that the pickups are smaller than a full sized humbucker. The question right now of course is the price. If they are in the $30 to $35 range, which I suspect will be the case, I think it would be a great bargain as Filtertrons go for about twice that price.

Where was the info from? I searched the GFS site and couldn't find anything. As regards their purpose, they have a habit of boasting that their pups are improvements on the originals. Hm

The GFS ad copy writing is a little... how should one say, "hyperbolic" in its descriptions of its products?

I have bought GFS parts and pickups in the past, and they have always fallen into the "close, but no cigar" camp for me. Some folks love them, and, for friends, I replaced a few dumb-buckers from the old 5120s with those GFS retro-tron things in the past. I wasn't knocked out. Same for the strat and tele pickups I've tried. Better than the stock entry level electronics on Squiers, Epiphones, Tursers, older Electronmatics, etc., but not as good as the real deal.

I'm sure I will now be called a "cork-sniffer" or a "snob." All I can say to that is: "prepare the corks; I'm ready for a noseful."

I don't get it. Someone buys a budget-priced pickup and then complains that its "close, but no cigar?" Why not just buy the cigar in the first place? GFS pickups are great for what they are, not how close they may or may not sound compared to a boutique pick-up that cost 3 times as much. These are strange times, indeed. People pay stupid money for original PAF hum buckers when there is practically an infinite amount of variety of PAF style pickups available that'll get you at least 90% of the way there and that in a blind A-B test, no one would be able to distinguish the one from the other (oh, I now some would insist that they could).

It is my opinion that what you can do with the guitar/pickup is far more impressive than the name on or the place of origin of the pickup. Hendrix used stock Strats straight from the store, yet people chase his tone for days. At the end of the day, just shut up and play your guitar.

Ah, the "shut up and play your guitar" Zappa quote. Thanks for that--this is a discussion site devoted to people who like guitars and gear.

You like GFS pickups--I'm happy for you. It has been my experience that they don't live up to the hype of their ad copy (that's what my post actually said). I have no problem with inexpensive pickups--I just bought a sixty dollar SET of strat pickups from Bootstrap in Ohio ( a garage based operation) that are killer.

The GFS ad copy writing is a little... how should one say, "hyperbolic" in its descriptions of its products?

I have bought GFS parts and pickups in the past, and they have always fallen into the "close, but no cigar" camp for me. Some folks love them, and, for friends, I replaced a few dumb-buckers from the old 5120s with those GFS retro-tron things in the past. I wasn't knocked out. Same for the strat and tele pickups I've tried. Better than the stock entry level electronics on Squiers, Epiphones, Tursers, older Electronmatics, etc., but not as good as the real deal.

I'm sure I will now be called a "cork-sniffer" or a "snob." All I can say to that is: "prepare the corks; I'm ready for a noseful."

– reverb11

Well yeah, the "hyperbolic" GFS product descriptions are part of the fun. Some of it is ridiculous, but no more so than the way we guitarists describe things anyway, just more colorful!!

a lot of the product descriptions, especially those in the RetroTron series, don't claim that these pickups are the same exact tone, but they catch the same vibe with some variations. I'm cool with that. I've had RetroTron humbuckers in an Ibanez Artcore guitar, and while they didn't sound exactly like a Filtertron, they have their own cool thing going on. The one thing I will say about GFS is that they are always going outside the box. I think we need a little more of that in the guitar universe.

I think my most played guitar is an Airline with GFS Surf 90s. Not really like dynas, Tele pups or anything else really. I like their twang, they can get a bit nasty harsh with overdrive...but I like them and I'm so glad they're cheap.

I have surf 90s in a synchromatic Jet Pro and love it.

If they have that big Filtertron alnico magnet and the coils are the same size, they'll be yet another Filtertron flavour, otherwise, they'll be a Filtertron lookalike.

Register Sign in to join the conversation