Pickups

For those looking for a staple P90

http://www.premierguitar.co...

Not sure if this is old news or not, but I know the staple pole P90 is a much loved pickup around these parts. I must be one of the few who isn't a huge Lollar fan - I like what he does but his pickups always sound a bit hi-fi to me. However I am sure plenty of folks around here will be interested in this development.

http://www.premierguitar.co...

Not sure if this is old news or not, but I know the staple pole P90 is a much loved pickup around these parts. I must be one of the few who isn't a huge Lollar fan - I like what he does but his pickups always sound a bit hi-fi to me. However I am sure plenty of folks around here will be interested in this development.

– JimmyR

nail on the head, Lollars are all too hi-fi!

Ha! I thought it was just me.

Ha! I thought it was just me.

– JimmyR

Nope! I love my Edwards LP92 goldtop but the Lollars they came with are killing me. Higher than hi-fi so I think I might grab a staple and drop it in the neck position. The bridge Lollar can be decent at the right setting but I mostly play any P90 LP-type in just the neck position.

I've only had the Lollar Imperials, and agreed too hi-fi. And that does seem to be the consensus across all the forums I frequent regarding Lollars. Not that "hi-fi" is a bad thing, it's all preference of course, just that Lollars ARE.

Cool to see another staple on the market tho.

I REALLY wish more makers would come out with Filtertron-sized pickups (other models), so TV Jones wasn't the only game in town (nothing against TVJ, but it would be nice to have other options sometimes)

I have a tele-tyle guitar with two Lollar "50's wind" P90's, and I like them a lot. Nothing "hifi" about them. Cool to see Lollar's doing staples, but what's with the "no adjustment screws"?

I have a tele-tyle guitar with two Lollar "50's wind" P90's, and I like them a lot. Nothing "hifi" about them. Cool to see Lollar's doing staples, but what's with the "no adjustment screws"?

– WB

I imagine an effort to keep the pickup "affordable", as alot more work would go into reproducing the staple with it's individual-pole adjustment mechanisms (like a D'Armond)

Do not agree on the Lollar hifi comment. I have a Heritage H525 with Lollar standard wind P90s. They're perfect, get this real nice, warm edge to the sound as the volume comes up. I mostly play low-medium volume, neck only (practicing jazz). Turn up a little, plug into the EC tremolux, I could hardly imagine a better, old school kinda jazz sound.

Not every P90 set is going to sound right to everyone's taste, and so much depends on the guitar itself. Had those same Lollar P-90s in a Collings 290 ... and they didn't impress me as much. Lesson learned for me. It's the whole instrument, not just pickups. MD

all the elevator metal work in dynasonics and old gibby alnico staples contributes to the tone..by just adding to the magnetic field

without that, the lollar is more like a jazzmaster pickup...with rectangular alnico magnet polepieces instead of fender cylindrical

seymour d got the staple repro right

cheers

all the elevator metal work in dynasonics and old gibby alnico staples contributes to the tone..by just adding to the magnetic field

without that, the lollar is more like a jazzmaster pickup...with rectangular alnico magnet polepieces instead of fender cylindrical

seymour d got the staple repro right

cheers

– neatone

Wow, those are cool! Now I need to Google what guitars came with adjustable staple pickups...

Educate me.

What's too hi-fi supposed to mean?

Curtis Novack doesn't make staples because he says they are basically Dynasonics.

If I were going to purchase a Staple/Alnico reproduction, I'd probably go with the Duncan. Just as with the Dyna/DeArmond pickup, pole piece adjustment is at the core of the design

Regarding the "Hi Fi" issue, to each his own. I like Lollar P-90s, as well as his Tele & Strat pickups.

Does Gibson make Vintage Alnicos any more?

This is a confusing thread. A P90 and a Staple are two different things, and neither of them are the same as a Dynasonic. I don't know what that Lollar thing is...if the magnets aren't adjustable then it isn't a Staple. I do love the original Staple pickups though.

gibson had seth lover design the staple 480 based on the dearmond dynasonic..he pretty much copied the idea..but with a few tweaks...namely the bobbin size (which affects the tone) and rectangular magnets...

p90 has slugs and bar magnet..completely different (cheaper) design

cheers

According to the Duchossoir book on Gibson electrics a non-adjustable staple pickup was available on the ES-175 briefly in the mid 50s. The other models that had the staple with adjustable polepieces were L5CES, Super 400CES, Les Paul Custom and Byrdland. It was phased out in 1958, replaced on all models with a PAF humbucker.

For me, Gretsch guitars sound Hi-Fi, and that's why I like them. I'm curious how the 'staples' will sound at the bridge position of a Les Paul.

Does anyone do a reasonably priced pickup that makes sounds in the Staple/Dynasonic realm, but mounts in a Gibson humbucker hole??

Does anyone do a reasonably priced pickup that makes sounds in the Staple/Dynasonic realm, but mounts in a Gibson humbucker hole??

– Johnny_Atomic

Rose Mozart Pickup

Ken Currie, the owner of Rose Pickups, will customize his pickups to suit what you're looking for. The Mozart is supposed to be a humbucker sized Jazzmaster pickup but I had him wind some for me that are more of a Jazzmaster / P90 hybrid with alnico 5 poles. They sound really good!

Register Sign in to join the conversation