Pickups

FMIC HS Filtertron differences?

I have a 2004 6120-1960 on the way to me. It was a great deal thanks to a black friday coupon. However, once I factor in a TVJ upgrade, it's not such a bargain

My other Gretsch guitars have TJV's stock and I know the HS are a different animal but they still get a lot of favorable reviews. Have they always been the same spec/quality post Fender? Am I going to have the same pickup that so many people rave about in my circa '04 guitar?

I have a 2004 6120-1960 on the way to me. It was a great deal thanks to a black friday coupon. However, once I factor in a TVJ upgrade, it's not such a bargain

My other Gretsch guitars have TJV's stock and I know the HS are a different animal but they still get a lot of favorable reviews. Have they always been the same spec/quality post Fender? Am I going to have the same pickup that so many people rave about in my circa '04 guitar?

– flatwoundup

I really like the filtertrons in these FMIC Greetches, and I'm picky...

Just play them. Nobody but you will be able to tell the difference.

I have HS Filtertrons in my 2004 Falcon. They sound incredible.

I’ve thought more than once about switching to TVJ’s, like I have with my other Gretsch’s, but in all honesty, I can’t justify the change. Unless it’s for a set of TVJ Ray Butts.

Ignore the internet 'rules', must - haves, and opinions. Play, listen and come to your own conclusions.

I have a 2006 5120 1960 Nashville and the pickups are amazing! Bright, Big Super Lively! I did the unthinkable and carefully chiseled down the wood underneath them to get them a bit more away from the strings and they became amazing-er! Give 'em a try before you tear them out! Should you not love them, sell them here. We'll be fighting for them!

If you don’t like them I’ll buy them from you. Ive been looking for a used set of chrome HS Filtertrons

From what I can hear, The TV Jones Classics have a certain high mid frequency boost compared to HS Filtertrons. To be fair I currently own neither but if I did buy a Gretsch with Gretsch Filtertrons I would most likely keep them.

Bottom line to my ears is that the HS Filters sound just a tad darker than TV Classics.

I appreciate all the responses, but what do we know about the timeline? Have they always been 'good' or did they improve along the way? My guitar is a first year FMIC instrument, so not sure if they were up to spec then (ie. alnico, vintage wind, etc). It seems like HS's have become increasing popular/acceptable in the last decade on the boards, so I'm wondering if Fender kicked it up a notch somewhere along the way?

And while I am a fan of "play it and decide", my OCD wants to know what's under the hood.

If you don’t like them I’ll buy them from you. Ive been looking for a used set of chrome HS Filtertrons

– Mr_Christopher

These are gold, but an hour with some turtle wax metal polish and a rag and they can be shiny nickel.

I appreciate all the responses, but what do we know about the timeline? Have they always been 'good' or did they improve along the way? My guitar is a first year FMIC instrument, so not sure if they were up to spec then (ie. alnico, vintage wind, etc). It seems like HS's have become increasing popular/acceptable in the last decade on the boards, so I'm wondering if Fender kicked it up a notch somewhere along the way?

And while I am a fan of "play it and decide", my OCD wants to know what's under the hood.

– flatwoundup

From what I remember, the HS Filters have stayed the same, construction wise, since they were introduced.

The HS Filtertron fan club can be found here plus all you ever wanted to know about wax or no wax potting (Gretch Pages of course). Lots of members here like these HS pickups

Register Sign in to join the conversation