Pickups

First Gretsch Ever, should I upgrade pickups?

Hi, all. New here, first post.

Just landed my first Gretsch ever. 67 years old, always wanted an orange Gretsch (who DOESN’T want an orange Gretsch?). Landed a G6620TDC.

Assumed that it would have TV Jones pups at this price point. Salesman even said they were TVJ. Discovered after getting it home that they are HS.

Worth considering an upgrade to TVJ?

All opinions welcomed and appreciated ...

How do they sound to you? A lot of good tone in those HS pickups. If you like it, why change it?

Welcome aboard!

As Don said, play it first and decide for yourself. TVJ pickups are great---but---you may be totally pleased with the stock HS pickups. I'm of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." mentality.

Frist, welcome to all things Gretsch! The short answer is No. The general consensus around here is whenever this question arises is to live with what you have for at least a month or more. Those are good pups and you don't even know at this point if they'll give you everything you're looking or listening, for. Set them up to your liking for the style you play and between your amp settings and balancing the pup's tone and volume controls play around to find what satisfies your ears. We always caution against changing pups right from the get go. Many a times a change doesn't happen.

Thanks for the sage advice

Only issue I have is the bass strings are quite boomy relative to the treble strings when playing Chet style. Can’t seem to dial that out without making the treble strings too thin. Don’t have this problem w my other guitars.

Was hoping the TVJs might help w this specific issue.

Otherwise love the HS pups.

Get your "action" set to where you like it.

Then set the body of the pup height set to the TV spec.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/f...

It really does make a HUGE difference getting any Filtertron set to these specs.

Best of luck and enjoy that git.

Get your "action" set to where you like it.

Then set the body of the pup height set to the TV spec.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/f...

It really does make a HUGE difference getting any Filtertron set to these specs.

Best of luck and enjoy that git.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

as has been suggested, play your guitar for a little while. then, as John suggested above, adjust your pickups according to the link that John posted. Gretsch guitars are a different "animal" than the rest of the guitar world.

oh, welcome to the forum.

Thx to John for the link. Set the pickup heights per the TVJ specs and it is a LOT more balanced.

Still a smidge thumpy on the bass strings, but I attribute that to the 24.6” scale. Intend to adjust my right hand technique and/or move up to heavier strings to compensate for less tension than I am used to.

Also, per the other posts in reply to my original question, I will not be changing pickups. Now that I’ve made the adjustments, I am quite pleased w the stock HS pups. Exactly the complex, jangly tone I was after. Very pleasing ...

Register Sign in to join the conversation