Pickups

FINALLY…. T-Armonds Cabronita!

I like it. I like it a lot.

How it do sound? Is it all Jetty, or all Telly? Or some mashup of Jetele?

IDK yet! Clear & fat. So far, fat tele. The description of "in-between P90 and tele" is accurate. I haven't messed with the pole height, or overall pickup height yet... I think I'll need to shim the bridge up a bit more to get the volumes equalled out. They are not as hot as the T-90s were. More articulate. Like the clarity of a tele pickup with the fatness of the T90, without the slight gainy schmear of the T-90 (which is great, if you're rocking' and rollin')

They are hooked up to 500K pots, and since the the tone control is a no-load, and it's ON no-load most of the time, it's like ONE 500K pot, not two.

Can't comment on Jet comparisons, never owned one, and only played Grumpy's once.

This video IS the tone of the neck pickup... in a maple-necked tele.

I can easily imagine this being a mighty fine instrument. Try to get some sounds recorded for us, please.

To make it perfect I'd look for old stock one-layer celluloid and make a pickguard out of it. Since it is transparent it looks fantastic on blonde and white guitars. I did this with a LP Jr. and it turned out great.

great idea! then he'll have to put up with it shrinking and have to replace it just like the vintage ones.

LOL you guys are funny.

I know some guys have flipped the neck pickup to get it less woofy, not sure I'll ned to do that, at least not on this guitar. Like I said, I'll have to live with it a little, and dial in pole and pickup heights.

great idea! then he'll have to put up with it shrinking and have to replace it just like the vintage ones.

– macphisto

I was serious. Rarely to be seen on vintage Juniors. And it takes decades. But what do I know.

I built this one in 2006. Long gone but it was a honey.

Hello...

– ruger9

thats cryin for a rutters bridge mi hermano! :)

thats cryin for a rutters bridge mi hermano! :)

– TheNocturneBrain

Aye, it is!

I used to have a tele with two T-Armonds (and a mastery bridge and B5 Bigsby), and "fat tele" is how I'd describe it. All the clangy glory of a good tele, but with a little more beef behind it.

I used to have a tele with two T-Armonds (and a mastery bridge and B5 Bigsby), and "fat tele" is how I'd describe it. All the clangy glory of a good tele, but with a little more beef behind it.

– WB

Exactly. And with T-90s, is an EVEN MORE beefy tele.... a tele with LP Jr. DNA.... because besides the extra fatness, the T-90s push the amp more = more dirt at the same settings.

The T-90s are glorious (at least in a tele), I didn't pull them because I didn't like them, I just wanted to experience the T-Armonds. I assumed I'd sell the T-90s (if I like the T-As better), but I don't think I will... I don't like mix-and-match pickup sets (even tho that's what regular teles ARE, lol, and I'm a tele guy thru-and-thru), but a T-90 bridge+TA neck would be mighty glorious...

The neck pickup in the video you included sounds amazing! Your guitar must be a joy. I totally agree about the Rutters bridge - he makes the best Tele bridges I have ever tried - his steel compensated saddles are genius.

I still have a set of compensated Rutters cold rolled steel Tele saddles but no Tele. Seeing them almost makes me want another Tele!

I love the neck, the bridge is good, but as I said- the built-in foam shims in Cabronita aren't getting it quite high enough... so I'll fix that, maybe even today (not sure if I have another set of strings, if not they should arrive today...)

Always wanted to try these as they sensibly have screws for adjusting height, an apparently important factor with dynasonics. Messing around with bits of kiddy foam is a stupid waste of time https://www.gabojo.com/

My Cabronita came with thick foam blocks glued to the cavities. I think the previous owner must have done that, because I don't think Fender does it? The T-90s did not need any extra "help", but the T-Armond needs a little more in the bridge. I use mousepad foam.

The fact that it is possible to have adjustment screws is a little frustrating. I gave up on dynas a little due to... add foam to adjust height...tune guitar to pitch... find pickup is too high/low...loosen strings off again... add or remove foam.. tune up again... this process is dumb and it never seems to quite work out. Plus, there's the option of adjusting the body height AND the pole pieces. Anyhow, I'm off to play guitar, fitted with height adjustable GFS Surf 90s

Those Surf 90s are great pickups. I know many here wouldn't believe they could sound as good as a TVJ, but they are really good.

Those Surf 90s are great pickups. I know many here wouldn't believe they could sound as good as a TVJ, but they are really good.

– ruger9

Yeah, I like em too. Like dynas too really, just being moody I guess! And TBH, I don't think the Surf 90s are really very similar sounding. GFS claim so. Plus odd that they associated the Surf description with dynasonics, not really famous as a surf music pick up

Oh, I'm not saying the Surfs sound like T-Armonds/Dynas.... it's been a few years since I had Surfs. Just that they are quality pickups, and if memory serves, give the same flavor as these T-As. A nice, clear, hollow, woody, tone. YMMV, etc.

If I remember right, this was Frank Giffen's guitar. I snapped this picture at the 2012 NorCal RoundUp with P90 sized T-Armonds in it.

Oh, I'm not saying the Surfs sound like T-Armonds/Dynas.... it's been a few years since I had Surfs. Just that they are quality pickups, and if memory serves, give the same flavor as these T-As. A nice, clear, hollow, woody, tone. YMMV, etc.

– ruger9

All good, I guess I was just expressing my frustration at not getting there with the T Armonds yet, but found lots to like easily in the Surf 90s. Always keen to hear your opinions, I'll inevitably go back to tweakin' the T's!

Register Sign in to join the conversation