Pickups

Filtertron Mounting?

A lot of us are changing to one model of a Filtertron or another. But how do you mount yours and why.

What's your preference? Using the foam inserts to set the height or using wood shims?

Do you feel that one is a better method over the other?

Foam makes it somewhat adjustable so that has my preference.

Wood inserts that fit tight in the route. I try to make the mount solid. Maybe it’s my imagination, but I think they sound better that way

I do the same Joe.

I might use foam while I'm looking for the optimal height, but once I've found the sweet spot I use digital callipers to measure the gap, crunch the numbers to calculate the shim thicknesses required and replace the foam with wood.

Takes a while longer but it's a solid mount and it's permanent.

Wood inserts that fit tight in the route. I try to make the mount solid. Maybe it’s my imagination, but I think they sound better that way

– Joe Desperado

Joe and Shuggie, I went with the wood shim route.

When I removed the HS Filters ('07 model), there were pretty thick wood shims under them.

Maybe that's part of the "why these sounded so good" in the first place.

The TV Ray Butts pups sat way too high on these shims, so I removed them, mounted again and measured how thick they new ones needed to be.

I lucked out and only needed to make shims for the neck pup. A little too low.

The bridge pup is at the correct height just sitting on the rout in the bracing. (Good thing I didn't need to lower them.)

Loving how the RB's make this Gretsch sound. All descriptions by other users are spot on. These things are amazing.

The HS's sounded very good, but the change to the RB's is several notches up in that good old Gretsch sound that so many of us chase.

Thanks all for the input. More time wood shimming, but it wasn't wasted time IMO.

Register Sign in to join the conversation