Pickups

Electrifying my D28

I think I want to put a pick up in my Martin. There is a lot of advice on the interweb, but I'd be grateful to hear any recommendations from the community. I don't NEED to do it but, you know...

Why not put a pickup in the sound hole and see if you like it? Before you hardwire one?

I have a Seymour Duncan Woody, which is fine, but I would like to go for something better.

I purchased the DiMarzio Black Angel recently...wonderful soundhole pickup.

I have 2 Martins.

The other I liked is the Baggs M1...it is a bit bulkier, older design. I'm sure it sounds good, too.

I stayed passive and use a Baggs Para DI box.

I put the LR Baggs Anthem system in my acoustic. For several years it was considered the best on the market. I run it through a Fishman PreEq II and then into the Tanglewood (AER copy) amp. Terrific sound and a wide range of tones.

K&K mini and JJB Prestige 330 are both well regarded non intrusive solutions.

Thanks all. My local store tech has some examples fitted, will check them out.

I have a K&K Mini on my Collings. Very natural sounding and good for fingerpicking. I have the Baggs Anthem on my Simon & Patrick dreadnought and it makes an average guitar sound like a million bucks. The ability to blend the undersaddle and mic makes it better for a band context and hard strumming.

I have a K&K Mini on my Collings. Very natural sounding and good for fingerpicking. I have the Baggs Anthem on my Simon & Patrick dreadnought and it makes an average guitar sound like a million bucks. The ability to blend the undersaddle and mic makes it better for a band context and hard strumming.

– jalexanderdixon

There's hardly a tone you can't get with the Anthem put through a good pre-amp and amp.

if you are lookin for that vintage soundhole pup sound, (before the rubberband sounding piezos took over) check out the new guild-dearmond tone boss...its modelled after the original dearmonds..

also schaller makes a good soundhole pup...a buddy of mine who happens to be a real vintage tone maniac got one and loves it...western s

even gretsch has one!

http://gretschpages.com/for...

cheers

Just my 2 cents ... I put a Fishman Infinity Matrix bridge saddle pickup in my '76 Guild G-37 archback and it sounds killer! Nothing drilled or permanently affixed. Pickuplooks like a toothpick laid under the bridge saddle, wired to the bottom strap button which is replaced with an input jack/button. Easy Peasy and cheap. Great sound, volume & tone wheels gummed on inside of soundhole, tuners now included ... all kinds of opportunities without making any hard decisions.

I have a highlander pickup in my 70s D-28, Sounds quite good considering it's not a microphone.

Nothing beats a microphone really to achieve a nice acoustic sound.

See, this is the thing, sometimes there's too much choice!

These are amazing. You get the clarity of sound from a microphone without having to sit (too) still. I haven’t heard a piezo based system as good and they’re reasonably cheap.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/akg...

I second the LR Baggs Anthem True Mic Pickup System! Windsordave is absolutely right about this gem. I have one on both my Kalamazoo Epiphone acoustic guitar, and my Seagull Artisans acoustic. Incredible sound reproduction. I'm using a K&K preamp.

Register Sign in to join the conversation