Pickups

Dynasonic vs Hilotron pickups

I completely disagree that hilotrons don't have a sound of their own. They're hands down my favourite Gretsch pickup and I've been using them for many years of professional and semi-professional playing. They have a beautiful top end, the bass strings sound piano-like, very chimey and sweet. Ver articulate. They can be middy if you want but lean towards scooped. They make excellent rock pickups and sound great distorted. One doesn't need high output pickups to rock, That's a common misconception inherited from the 70s and hair metal 80s. I did have a 50s single anniversary that I added another vintage dynasonic too. It was a nice guitar but I ALWAYS preferred playing my Tennessean because it sounded better and I sold the Anniversary. An old bass player said my guitar always sounded like the Elly May theme from the Beverly hillblies...which I'll admit i just listened to now. I don't think that's a hilotron equipped guitar but I could probably get very close with my Tennessean no problem (except for the #$&45 Les Paul fast bits whew!). I think you can get tonnes of great sounds out of ANY pickups. You can do tonnes with the amp itself and most importantly it's your playing.

– Toxophilite

HiLotrons are the most pure sounding pickup I've ever heard. I have them in a Corvette. What I mean by "they don't really have a signature tone" is just that they amplify what frequencies the guitar is naturally delivering, which they do! This is why I love them. You confirmed this when you said they are very articulate. They are the closest approximation of a microphone in an electric guitar pickup that I know of. I'm not quite sure how you disagree with me.

Wow. Lots of good points so far. I will have to find somewhere to try both. I have only ever played Gretches with Filtertrons so I have no experience with either type. The only single coil equipped archtops I have ever played have been Gibson or Guild and had either P90 or Franz pickups, which are both great but not what was looking for as I'm looking for something between a a 6120 and a Telecaster.

My Duo Jet with Dynasonics delivers a tone which is something between a 6120 and a Telecaster.

I think I'm gonna set my sights on either a 6120 with Dynas. What's the differences between the DSW, DSV and Duane Eddy versions besides the cosmetics?

DSW and DSV are pretty same in functional specs, except for obvious bridge difference (Bigsby Comp on DSW, Gretsch rocking bar on DSV) and brass nut on DSV. DE model has a slightly deeper body with trestle bracing, a different neck profile, different headstock shape, brass nut, more positive DE cast Bigsby handle, and Tru-Arc™ rocking bridge.

I have both the DSV and the DE, and they're kinda different animals. The DE has more depth and punch. 'Tis titanic in its twang. I keep flats on the DSV (a sound unique unto itself) and rounds on the DE.

DSW and DSV are pretty same in functional specs, except for obvious bridge difference (Bigsby Comp on DSW, Gretsch rocking bar on DSV) and brass nut on DSV. DE model has a slightly deeper body with trestle bracing, a different neck profile, different headstock shape, brass nut, more positive DE cast Bigsby handle, and Tru-Arc™ rocking bridge.

I have both the DSV and the DE, and they're kinda different animals. The DE has more depth and punch. 'Tis titanic in its twang. I keep flats on the DSV (a sound unique unto itself) and rounds on the DE.

– Proteus

That brings up another question I had. Flats vs rounds with Dynas?. I want twangy and punchy. I use rounds with Filtertrons and on most other guitars except for my Fender Jag, Jazzmaster & Bass VI (where i use flat wounds.)

Hated flats on the Jet with Dynas. Love them on the DSV.

I think I'll seek out a DE and experiment with strings. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I've compared recordings of both HiLo's and Dyna's and think I've made my mind up. Hope the hum isn't too bad onstage but if it is I guess I can always use it on recordings and use a FIltetron guitar onstage.

and only one guitar with HiLos.

Uhh Proteus what one guitar are you referring to?

Was it the Anniversary ?(double and single) The San Salvador? The Corvette ? The Rally? The Tennssean? Did I miss one? Enlighten me as which guitar was the only one with hilotrons?

I will say that Gretsch STOPPED using Dynasonics and switched to filtertrons and hilotrons.

Buddy Hollywood, perhaps we don't disagree, my apologoies. I do think they have their own sound though. They do likely let a guitars sound come through more as higher output pickups tend to add a lot of mids. I don't think they sound quite like other pickups . One of my singers (an accomplished acoustic guitarist as well) used to tell me Tennessean sounded like an acoustic.

It's a triple Anniversary. Stay tuned for details.

It seems nowhere in my area carries the Proline Gretsch guitars. I may have to just save up and order one online and hope for the best. It will be my first non-Electromatic model. Really starting to lean toward the Duane Eddy. They have a slightly thicker body than normal, correct?

Yes, a slightly deeper body. As mentioned in post 31, after you asked about differences between DSV, DSW, and DE.

Yes, a slightly deeper body. As mentioned in post 31, after you asked about differences between DSV, DSW, and DE.

– Proteus

Ah, I see it now. That's what I thought. Thinking that's the one I'm gonna aim for.

I think that's the recently concocted Super HiloTron that is basically a FilterTron with one row of screws removed, but still has two coils. An actual HiloTron is like a FilterTron with one whole coil removed. And the magnet moved from the underside to the empty spot where the second coil was.

I can't add much to the discussion other than saying you really have to try them for yourself. There's obviously more love for DeArmonds, but HiloTrons may be exactly what you're looking for. I feel like I might be the only person on earth that doesn't love P-90s. Popular opinion says I'm completely wrong on that, but I like what I like.

– Afire

Thanks for that Afire. Occasionally I've had the evil desire to pull out a row of screws in a filtertron but hey ho, there's more important things to get on with

You're not alone with the P90 puzzle. I installed them once and was in a rush to get them uninstalled after a couple of torturous gigs. Dog barking in bucket sound when using OD pedal

Replying to an earlier post - you can mix a hilo and an F'tron in the same guitar quite happily.

The trick is to put the F'tron in the bridge and re-locate the bridge hilo to the neck.

Getting hilo coils closer to the strings really brings them to life to my ears - and the bridge pickup should already have wooden shims, so it's a quick and easy solution.

Don't knock the hilo until you've heard them set up properly because they're beautiful sounding pickups.

It seems nowhere in my area carries the Proline Gretsch guitars. I may have to just save up and order one online and hope for the best. It will be my first non-Electromatic model. Really starting to lean toward the Duane Eddy. They have a slightly thicker body than normal, correct?

– LuckyOne

My Duo Jet was the only guitar I ever bought without playing it first. I bought it from Rocky at StreetSounds. Rocky has a no questions asked 3 day return policy. I thought it was worth the risk and it was!

A DeArmond is like a P90 that squeals at 2khz instead of 1khz.

– Billy Zoom

– Billy Zoom

I'll swop your P90 for a P45

For sound clips of HiloTrons on a Tennessee Rose, go to this thread.

Sound clips of both stock and Seymour Duncan Dynas coming soon...

... all to help you do your shopping online.

Been listening and re-listening to clips and while I really like the almost "stratty" quality to the HiLo pickups, I think I've got to go with Dynasonics. They've just got that sound I'm chasing. I will say, I'll still have to add a Tenny with HiLos to the collection at some point though. One can never have to many options!

Register Sign in to join the conversation