Pickups

Dynasonic Ground?

Hi All-- Longtime lurker, first time poster here. I bought a set of Gretsch dynas off reverb to replace the Dearmond 2000's in my 5128 for Christmas.

One of the bobbins arrived loose in the housing, an easy enough fix, but it seems that what I assume is the ground (bare) wire is also loose. The previous or previous to him owner seems to have caulked it to something, and I'm not sure what that something should be (I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be held with caulk...something something conductor/non-conductor). The other pickup has it soldered to the housing-- am I right in assuming that's what I should do with it?

I've been looking at images of the undersides of dynas and that's not really a detail people are keen to photograph. Sometimes it actually does look like it's glued to the bobbin (and on the wire before I cleaned it was solder, glue and caulk), sometimes soldered to the housing, sometimes hidden and all told, I can't really tell.

Thanks for any guidance. Chris

All the modern Gretsch Dyna's fall out of the housing. The factory fix was a spacer with a hole too small for the bobbin to go through. You can also use a couple small dabs of silicone on the inside of the cover. You can't solder to the cast Dyna housings like you can with the stamped real DeArmond covers, but you can ground the cover just like yours is...with the shield under the the edge of the cover, or a skinny wire wrapped around one of the mounting screws, like mine are. The coil itself is soldered to the ground at one end, so it's just for that little bit of extra shielding you get from the surround. That bicycle innertube is to keep the magnet assemblies from squealing, but that's only an issue if you play really loud wth lots of distortion. I just squirt silicone caulk all over the magnets & screws. The Gretsch modern Dynas aren't nearly as squealy as the original DeArmonds or the Seymour copies, so I never had to do it with them, but my Seymours are all caulked.

They're a little bit of extra hassle in the beginning, but the tone is more than worth it.

Thanks, Billy!

On the bare (ground?) wire-- maybe the picture isn't so good, but on that end, it isn't attached to anything, but had been with various materials. The red and white go up into the coil, that one just hangs there. On the other pickup, it is somehow soldered to the housing/metal cover, which is why I got to wondering. Sounds like it just needs to make pressure contact with the metal cover or one of the screws. I'll do the latter, I already did 1meg pots and a Melita bridge. Your advice (to others on the forum) has steered me well.

I did the inner tube thing for the reason you state, I'd read on here to rubber band (or in your case, silicone) the undercarriage to prevent squealing, figured an inner tube won't degrade as quickly as rubber bands. Probably unnecessary, but figured if it doesn't hurt anything, I might as well before it goes in.

I'm excited for this adventure-- I've been bugging this guy in Greece to make his dynas for a top mount for years (I think you'd find him a kindred spirit) to no avail, your recommends on the recent Gretsch dynas swayed it for me.

Thanks for your help

If they have 2 wires & a shield, one wire should be connected to the shield. Make sure both pickups have the same magnet polarity. Take another magnet & see if it attracts or repels the pickup magnets. If both pickups aren;t the same, let me know & we'll deal with that.

Thanks Billy, the polarities are the same. Here is a photo of the wires at the pickups. The one where you can see the red and white wires is the one in question, and you can see the shield portion hanging off. (I'd completely forgotten that what I was calling silver or ground is the shield-- the diagram I was using said black/shield and it didn't register that that meant two different wires, not two names for the same thing. I was thinking in terms of hot-neutral-ground (and it is essentially that, right?) wondering where the ground was supposed to go.)

The second photo, for reference is the bridge pickup, which all seems to be intact-- my camera isn't that great, but you can see where the shield is soldered to the metal cover in the near corner. The adhesives are totally different holding that together, and look a lot more professionally done-- a kind of black plastic/epoxy joining the cover to the bobbin, then the red/white immobilized in some sort of yellowish glue where it enters the bobbin. I'm guessing I should similarly immobilize that on the neck pickup.

and the bridge pickup that's fallen out of its housing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation