Pickups

Dynasonic are hell

So, my T Armonds have been on and off SO many times to solve the problem of then being too flubby if too close to strings or too weedy if too far away. Now I’ve had it! I’ve bust the waxing SO many times and had to remedy. The pole adjustment just plain doesn’t work and wrecks the wax if you can get them to move. I’m through with pissing around with bits of rubber, shims and pole height charts. There’s no place left to go for me, no option has been unexplored.

I’m gonna rip out those stupidly expensive POS pups and put it cheapo Chinese GFS surf 90s. I know they work, they go up and down on two simple screws

I’m guessing you sense my utter desperate frustration. There’s just too much bother involved in adjusting the height by a couple of millimetres. Then taking them off, fixing the busted wax and putting them back on to find it’s still wrong. Thank you and good night

Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel!

Have you considered Dearmond 2000s? Not the 2k which is more P-90 like but the 2000

These are what some people call Dyna-lights Their pole pieces are easily adjustable (as should the T-armonds be) and I thought they were remarkably close in sound to the vintage Dearmonds I have (I tried both on the same guitar recording the same clean solo for a song and I wouldn't have been able to tell you which was which blindfolded after the fact.

Also the 2000s are enclosed on the bottom so they won't be falling apart on you..Is that what you refer to when you say 'breaking the wax' ?

If the pickup is't falling out of it's casing you shouldn't have to break any wax to adjust the pole pieces. It's usually easily done with a screw driver from the top and if a bit of wax around the mechanism breaks that's not a big deal, in fact i don't think that mechanism should be waxed. I understood potting is primarily for the coil itself.

Dearmonds in general seem to be a little more finicky than most. I find it's the top to bottom adjustment that needs close attention paid to.

As I use a wound G, on any pickup I need to lift the High E , the wound G and significantly lower the B As I like my pickups to be similar volume as I switch around alot. I generally set the height of the bridge pickup so that I have just enough room to do the adjustments string adjustments, and then set the neck pickup height so it balances with the bridge.

Dearmond seems to want a little less low strings and a bit more high than most pickups to get a nice balance

I removed de Armonds from my 5129 and added t Armonds thinking it would be an improvement. Not sure it is.

I accept that there’s an optimum position that will suit me but I just can’t find it. And the wax fell apart whilst trying to adjust the height. At the moment, no amount of screw adjustments change the pole height so in order to make adjustments, I’ve have to take off the pup, adjust the poles, wreck the wax, remelt it and put it back together. Every goddam time

So it’s the arsing around with shims, wax and lack of adjustment that is driving me crazy.

You must be a perfectionist.

You must be a perfectionist.

– NJBob

They seem very sensitive. Like me I guess! As I said, I find them too thick or thin depending on position. Other pups seem okayish in a wider spectrum

They seem very sensitive. Like me I guess! As I said, I find them too thick or thin depending on position. Other pups seem okayish in a wider spectrum

– Vince_Ray

I have Dynas on my BZ jet and DA2000s on a couple Historics. The Dynas have a more marked difference between bridge and neck. In the middle, the neck dominates...but I keep both volumes dimed.

My ear to isn't so good to tweak on it, so it may be a blessing in disguise.

I'd reach out directly to TV Jones - I can't imagine that a custom pickup would have so many problems, wax potting included.

I believe (based on research that I was doing when trying to find a single-coil-in-humbucker-sized-route pickup) that there's a lot of squeeze going on in a much tinier space, so in general I don't know if that makes them more delicate.

For what it's worth I love my stock Dynas, especially since I did the 180 degree flip. I wouldn't mind a sightly hotter bridge pup though.

I can’t help but thing Tom at TV Jones will help you out in some fashion. I ditched the stock bridge Dynasonic in my white Penguin for a Powertron and I love it. I too couldn’t get along with the Dynasonic.

The pickups on BZ models are Seymours.

Whats this with wrecking the wax? Does some wax creep out when you adjust the poles? I bet that pickup would wake right up if it didn't have that crap in it.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on. I always thought all models of Dearmonds (except the 2ks) were very well engineered for adjusting pole pieces and all of them I've had, old and new , have been very easy to adjust the poles pieces with a screw driver , NEVER required removing the pickup from the guitar, and there's never been any wax involved. They even have offset adjustment screws so your strings don't get in the way while doing it.

Do you have any pictures of what you're actually doing? It sounds far too involved for what should be a very simple process.

I have vintage 50s Dynas and have had modern reissues, i love them both. Very different bout both good, but...I’ve found Dynas to be fussy about amps and they are not forgiving of any fretting errors. I’ve been enjoying P90s lately in my lazy years

I have T-Armonds on every Dyna Guitar and never had an issue with them right now. Vince, give Tom a call and I'm shure, he'll find a way out of this situation. What kind of effects you are using? Maybe the settings there have to vary somewhat !

There is no pickup that works for everyone. If they aren't working for you, or are not worth further frustration. there are lots of other options. Paul Pigat really loves the Dearmond mount T-90s he switched to. That could be more in your wheelhouse and an easy swap. Also, I'm sure Tom will wind them how you like them.

Do the Setzer sigs come in Dearmond mount? If you like Filters but want the single coil clarity, that could be a solution as well.

I love the T-Armonds in my Tennessee Rose. But if they aren't working, they aren't working. Bust your move and re-sieze your happy place.

I have had quite a few guitars with Dynas and have had good luck with this advice from “Mal’s Guide...” to raise the body of the pickup rather than the pole pieces.

Why would you want to raise them? Well, like I said before: raising the pickup body increases output and ‘fatness’, raising the pole pieces increases brightness, but not necessarily volume. With Dynasonics the problem is exacerpated by the amount of magnetism generated by the huge ‘slug magnet’ pole pieces - which may interfere with the strings and actually result in a reduction in output!

I use as many as three risers and use just minor adjustments to the individual poles to just ballence things out between strings.

Is no-one else confused by the fact that the OP says that it's impossible to adjust the pole pieces and he has to take off the pickups to do so? Which then involves 'breaking the wax' ?

To me that doesn't really make sense. It would sound rather like something is very broken about the mechanism and or there might be some misunderstanding Could we have a picture of this problem?

By all means ditch the pickups if you want. I'm not a Dearmond advocate at all, but what you are describing doesn't seem to add up and it would be nice to see what you're talking about.

Is no-one else confused by the fact that the OP says that it's impossible to adjust the pole pieces and he has to take off the pickups to do so? Which then involves 'breaking the wax' ?

To me that doesn't really make sense. It would sound rather like something is very broken about the mechanism and or there might be some misunderstanding Could we have a picture of this problem?

By all means ditch the pickups if you want. I'm not a Dearmond advocate at all, but what you are describing doesn't seem to add up and it would be nice to see what you're talking about.

– Toxophilite

The OP is referring to TV Jones "T-Armonds", not traditional DeArmonds. T-Armonds do not have the same adjustment mechanism.

I have had quite a few guitars with Dynas and have had good luck with this advice from “Mal’s Guide...” to raise the body of the pickup rather than the pole pieces.

Why would you want to raise them? Well, like I said before: raising the pickup body increases output and ‘fatness’, raising the pole pieces increases brightness, but not necessarily volume. With Dynasonics the problem is exacerpated by the amount of magnetism generated by the huge ‘slug magnet’ pole pieces - which may interfere with the strings and actually result in a reduction in output!

I use as many as three risers and use just minor adjustments to the individual poles to just ballence things out between strings.

– Bob Howard

Bob, what's Mal's Guide?

thanks

Sounds like good info.

Are you using pure nickel strings??? You should be.

Bob, what's Mal's Guide?

thanks

Sounds like good info.

– sleepy

If you look at the top of the page you see a button called WORDS and under that is GRETSCH ARTICLES. In there you find cool stuff, including this.

Are you using pure nickel strings??? You should be.

– Billy Zoom

There's that. I have one guitar with old DeArmonds (a Guild) that was a bitch to amplifiy and get adjusted for string balance, and I followed BZ's advice - and it works great, sounds better, balances better, easier to amplifiy.
I went to pure nickel on all my guitars fast, and after a couple of years of them, "regular" nickel plated steel strings sound like a tin can with strings amplified through a phone speaker. It's not an expensive experiment in any case.

That said, DeArmonds are kind of picky about amps compared to a lot of other pickups. Something typically brighter like a blackface amp, and I'll be turning the knobs on the amp all night.

I'm very tempted to say, "put a pair of P90's on it", much easier to amplify, not as finicky, fatter trebles.

@walter - what pure nickel strings do you use?

Register Sign in to join the conversation