Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Vintage aluminium bridge

hey folks...so I've had my eye on this upgrade for the last week or so and I wondered what you all think.

I have a tru-arc on my 1960 tennessean currently with an ebony base and I wonder how different and all aluminum (including the base) bridge would sound.

thoughts?

Wow. I gave one exactly like that away to a friend the other day.

That's way overpriced and the description is completely wrong. Those were never used by Gretsch, and the vintage claim is dubious. They were making them just like that up until at least a few years ago.

Too bad someone fell for it and bought one at that price.

That's a Bigsby bridge. Don't they still come with the Bigsby tailpieces?

– Billy Zoom

I don't think so. I know they still came as a package at least into the '90, but I think everything's sold separately now.

They sound a lot better than they look.

– Billy Zoom

I have bought about 4 - 5 Bigsby tailpieces during the last 10 (?) years. None came with a bridge.

I have a gold one for my AstroJet project, but plan to use it with a Burns tremolo.

I buy those for about $30 on ebay from time to time. I think of them as a Guild bridge.

First off, that's not the rocker Bigsby bridge; it's the plain one. The rocker has a v-shaped bottom much like the early Chet bridges. They were supposed to pivot on top of the adjustment wheels. That one sits flat on the wheels and is the more common version. I've had both. You will likely need to put something under the bridge base but maybe not since by 1960 the neck angle had gotten shallower. I think one version or another was standard on the early Chet jets. They have a very bright tone and I've had no intonation problems with an unwound third string. You may get a louder brighter tone than a brass TruArc. The cool thing about single pick-up guitars is that the acoustic tone is a more serious consideration than any two-pick up guitar. (This is an unashamed plug for y'all not to convert your single pick-up guitars. Something Ed said about practicing on Streamliners. But I'll confess to having a previously modded 6187.) A Space Control bridge sounds like thumpy junk on a '58 Streamliner but may really sing on a given '63 single Annie. That tone mystery is part of the beauty of Gretsches to me.

I really just can't get into the Roller Bridge. It rattles and when you try to adjust it for the intonation, the angle the bridge sits chokes the plain strings when you try to bend it. I always thought it was a POS that didn't belong on a guitar. I had one on my very first Gretsch, a 1959 6124 Anni. back in 1969/70. The only option I knew of then was to buy a Gibson ABR-1 like I had seen on Stills' and Neil Youngs Gretsches. Worked so much better...

I really just can't get into the Roller Bridge. It rattles and when you try to adjust it for the intonation, the angle the bridge sits chokes the plain strings when you try to bend it. I always thought it was a POS that didn't belong on a guitar. I had one on my very first Gretsch, a 1959 6124 Anni. back in 1969/70. The only option I knew of then was to buy a Gibson ABR-1 like I had seen on Stills' and Neil Youngs Gretsches. Worked so much better...

I tried one of these on my Duo Jet, first with the metal base and then with a rosewood Gretsch base and overall it had the spank and clear tone I was looking for but there was an undesirable high end overtone I couldn't live with. I think it's because the bridge is so thin. I have since installed an aluminum Tru-Arc Serpentune on the Duo Jet and it is my favorite. It has all of the positive tonal characteristics of the aluminum Bigsby bridge but it's a little bit fatter and there is no shrill overtone. It's a thing of beauty.

Buddy! I have one on an Airline. Come with your guitar and try it on! Although...they look pretty inexpensive...just gas out to the Philly ex-urbs might cost as much as buying one!

Nice! Thanks for the heads up guys.

I've been off line for a few days. I ended up picking up a cheaper one and it showed in the mail, but i still have to get it filed.

It definitely has more spank and high end than my steel tru-arc...

I'm torn on the aesthetic though, can't really tell if it's cool looking or ugly as sin.

if it works, looks won't really matter.

It's sad that someone coughed up $150 for that.

i remember when vintage was used and used was free.

Hi, This may be off topic but does anyone know if any of the pre 1960 6120s had an aluminum nut? Thanks

Register Sign in to join the conversation