Pickups

Do you care how a pickup looks?

who cares what the pickups look like, as long as it goes to "11"?

– Tartan Phantom

Eight in-line powered dragster. How fast can it go ?

I like that one, too!

Especially the turnbuckles...Every guitar should have a set.

Yep and pretty much agree with strummerson's style guide. love the kay kleenex boxes and mosrtie as well

I worry first about the sound.

I see a Kent Armstrong floating pickup in Minneapolis that I would buy, but it says Eastman on it, which I would pay $10 not to have, but for $40 off new, plus it's a bit ugly, so maybe I can bargain. I think I would buy it for $30.

They're only $80 new...hmmm...

Franken-tele? Maybe, but nothing compares to this...

– Charlie Vegas

jj cales timebomb! indeed

cheers

I worry first about the sound.

I see a Kent Armstrong floating pickup in Minneapolis that I would buy, but it says Eastman on it, which I would pay $10 not to have, but for $40 off new, plus it's a bit ugly, so maybe I can bargain. I think I would buy it for $30.

They're only $80 new...hmmm...

– hammerhands

thats a kent armstrong branded asian made..generic..probably made by artec..which u can probably find new for 30$

tho kent has his handmade line, thats top of the line

cheers

Hey Tavo, that's my guitar!

– Twangmeisternyc

Get matching covers for it quick!! :)

Not the Franken-tele, ... Barney.

That photo is my guitar...Ha!

Bad pickup lines:

I would say "yes" to the question, but fortunately there aren't many pickups that are offered on the guitars that I love which I find ugly. Something which has not been mentioned thus far are the lipstick pickups that one finds on Danelectros. I even like how they look. I also prefer to cover the humbuckers.

I also prefer the look of covered humbuckers. Some folks insist that uncovered sounds better, and since I've never tried covered and uncovered on the same guitar, I can't really dispute that, but I have yet to be dissatisfied enough with the sound of any of my covered humbucker guitars to want to bother with taking the covers off.

I like the look of FilterTrons, Dynas, Guild pickups, and dogear P-90's. Not so fond of soapbar P-90's, Fender single coils, Dano lipstick covers, or Kleenex pickups. Also don't care so much for old-style Epiphone mini-humbuckers like this, although the guitar is shore purty:

Boss Tweed will remember that Epiphone, Rudy's had a jewel of one upstairs...

I played it for 1/2 an hour one day.

He wanted too much for it, as was generally the case!

Also don't care so much for old-style Epiphone mini-humbuckers like this, although the guitar is shore purty

They're single coils! They look a lot like the later Gibson-made minis from when Gibson owned Epi, but they're a different pickup.

Though I think that FilterTrons are fine looking pickups, most imitations of them look hideous. Reverend's RevTron pickups, for instance, look so awful, they ruin the otherwise gorgeous Pete Anderson PA-1 redburst hollowbody for me. I don't care if they sound like orgasmic angels. I went so far once as to call Reverend to see if they might do one with P90s. No dice. Put an end to that aspiration. Were money no object, I might get one and have TK Smith CARs put in. That would be one heck of a geetar.

I'm not a fan of uncovered humbucker's looks. They just seem "unfinished". Pickups don't necessarily have to match. I had some in a junk drawer that looked like humbuckers but in reality were singles under a 'bucker cover. They seemed like a lie to me, wannabes. Gold foils just look too busy, as do Kleenex boxes. They sound great, tho, and that's what really counts in the end.

Pros? I like the looks of Old DeArmonds and CC-90s especially. Each guitar maker has their own pickup look, tho some styles get shared, like DeArmonds.

Not the Franken-tele, ... Barney.

That photo is my guitar...Ha!

– Twangmeisternyc

the Kessel is yours??? ooooh I think I hate you #greenwithjealousishness

thats a kent armstrong branded asian made..generic..probably made by artec..which u can probably find new for 30$

tho kent has his handmade line, thats top of the line

cheers

– neatone

Where do you find them for $30?

[Here's another used one for $11?! People hate these pickups. https://reverb.com/item/311...]

How do you get a handmade pickup from him? I see those are available at WD as well.

How would the asian made one compare with the old Benedetto I have?

http://gretschpages.com/for...

I bought it during the post-Christmas Retail doldrums a year ago...

Still hard to believe it was even available.

I switched the pickup positions to better balance the controls, all original.

That picture you posted was part of the series taken to sell the guitar by Cream City Music in Milwaukee.

http://www.creamcitymusic.c...

Yes, I care a lot but context is crucial! Every combination is different I'm no fan of uncovered humbuckers but zebra's in a Les Paul look nice.

A while ago I bought TV jones pickups from a member here. I already loved the usual Gretsch style pickups and the TV jones with the thicker pole pieces have something special onver them. They are gold and my lefty Aspen Green 5420 has silver hardware. I dared to try it and it took me a little getting used to, seeing beautiful but gold pickups in my silver lay-out.

Then I found me a unique strap with a genuine, old fabric..a true one off. I fell in love with it and and bought it instantly. Ever since I am using it, I get so many compliments on my guitar.

It's strange, while most of them don't notice the strap right away, it is since the strap is on it, I hear how much people love how my guitar looks :)

I don't like the look of uncovered humbuckers — but partly covered are OK with me.

I never liked the look of those completely smooth looking single coils (Lace sensors?) fitted to some Strats. Actually, I didn't really like the sound of them very much either.

Yes, I care a lot but context is crucial! Every combination is different I'm no fan of uncovered humbuckers but zebra's in a Les Paul look nice.

A while ago I bought TV jones pickups from a member here. I already loved the usual Gretsch style pickups and the TV jones with the thicker pole pieces have something special onver them. They are gold and my lefty Aspen Green 5420 has silver hardware. I dared to try it and it took me a little getting used to, seeing beautiful but gold pickups in my silver lay-out.

Then I found me a unique strap with a genuine, old fabric..a true one off. I fell in love with it and and bought it instantly. Ever since I am using it, I get so many compliments on my guitar.

It's strange, while most of them don't notice the strap right away, it is since the strap is on it, I hear how much people love how my guitar looks :)

– LievenDV

This strap totally completes the guitar. The gold pickups on the aspen green go with the colors on the strap. Well done!

Register Sign in to join the conversation