Pickups

Do you care how a pickup looks?

I do. And I think that it's a bit silly. On the other hand, they sit right in the center of your guitar. So if they are ugly, they ugly up the guitar. It's lucky that I don't love humbuckers, because I hate the look of uncovered humbuckers. Bigsby aluminum pickups are beautiful, in my view. Especially with open tops. Blade or pole pieces, all the same. I think Dynas are the best looking GreTscH pickup. Though I think Filters are also nice looking. Dogears look better to me than soapbars. Though I hate the look of open top humbuckers, I think telecaster pickups, especially the angled bobbin in the bridge plate (with three barrel saddles, of course) look great. Love diamond grill foil pickups. P13s and speedbumps and kleenex boxes are all good looking. And though I think Charlie Christians are good looking as blade pickups, I don't like them at all with pole pieces for some reason I can't put my finger on. Toasters and Hi-Gains are both good looking. Love the sound of Jazzmaster pickups, but I've often though of asking Curtis Novick if he could make a silver diamond grill jazzmaster pickup. No rhyme or reason I can figure. And it seems like tone should be the only factor. But, then, old ribbon mics are gorgeous compared to most standard microphones. And they sound great as well.

How about something like this...

Apparently, in its current form, the previous Wide Range Thinline Pup at the bridge has been replaced with what looks like a DiMarzio...Or maybe just the cover taken off...

Yes, I care. The pickups in the above photo look like they belong on that guitar with the relic personalized look of the whole thing.

On the other end, chrome T'Armonds drove me nuts on my gold appointed Country Club. They were eventually replaced with gold T'Armonds.

Agreed about uncovered buckers. Some lower end pickups like those silver plastic Kay ones are cool looking. One thing that always interested me about Telecasters was how this first attempt at a commericially produced solidbody actually had two different pickups in it -- most guitars of course having the exact same pickup in 2 or 3 locations.

Yes, I care. The pickups in the above photo look like they belong on that guitar with the relic personalized look of the whole thing.

On the other end, chrome T'Armonds drove me nuts on my gold appointed Country Club. They were eventually replaced with gold T'Armonds.

– Baba Joe

I would have gone the other direction and swapped out the gold hardware.

Apparently, in its current form, the previous Wide Range Thinline Pup at the bridge has been replaced with what looks like a DiMarzio...Or maybe just the cover taken off...

– Twangmeisternyc

The pickups are the least of the problems here...

I've been really digging the look of these old Guyatone pickups lately.

This is what they sound like:

I definitely care, my strat as three different pickups and wired differently, but visually it's a stock strat, I like the mods under the hood. I think dynas are the best looking, that's what my jet has, I thought about a supertron in the dyna body, but it just doesn't look right to me

Yes and no. For example, I never understood why people didn't want to use TV Jones' humbucker sized Filtertrons back when they were modding their 5120s with humbucker sized routes. Instead they would go to the trouble of mounts and surrounds to cover the holes. Besides, I like the way TV Jones' humbucker sized Filtertrons look. Does he still make them?

who cares what the pickups look like, as long as it goes to "11"?

Where did that come from?....or where is now?

– Windsordave

That was custom made for Nigel Tufnel in Spinal Tap, it was used in a music video, I believe a song from "break like the wind"

– Windsordave

Yes. And more often than not, very cool looking pickups sound pretty cool too.

2 faves- look & sound

gibson alnico V staple

perfect combination of p90 and dyna

ric toasters ( vintage low output )

cheers

– Twangmeisternyc

that hurts my OCD eyes!

..here's a pic of a cool pickups, because cool lookin inspires cool feelin, and eventually cool music.

dammit that was eeffin cool! Thanks for sharing that video!!

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

No problem T. That's one of my favorite YouTube videos. Love me some RLB, and that clip is so intimate.

It took me ages to track down the guitar he's playing. It's a Guyatone. I'm tempted to buy one (they go for only about $100-200), but I think I'll just take it as inspiration for my own builds. I'd love to use a set of those pickups in a build.

That RL Burnside clip has a real Tuareg vibe to it.

So not much love for this then? (uncovered humbuckers)

– Ger (aka Ratrod)

I can dig it! Nice and subtle lemon burst. I do prefer the humbuckers covered though.

Ratrod, nice LP, but nope, covered for me as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation