Pickups

Did I Screw Things Up…

or actually down in this case. While attempting to raise the pole pieces, replicating an adjustment another forumite found to his liking, these two screw heads actually sank deeper into their cavities. And now I can't raise them. All this just as I was really beginning to actually like the Gretschbuckers. Tell me there's a way to salvage this situation.

Mmmm... I like the Gretsch 'cheapbuckers' (as Didier calls them :) as well.

Have you tried fine-nosed pliers and cloth wrapped around the ends, and turn as you gently pull? If not, maybe take the pickup carefully apart and attack from the other side with pressure, and turn with a screwdriver at the same time.

If you can get them to rise, you should be able to put a dab of silicon on them underneath, to firm them up (oil the threads a little beforehand).

If they are not salvageable, you could buy replacements.. they are not expensive on e-Bay.

There are these little screwdrivers you can get where the head is split and expands to grab the screw. Were you trying to lower the screws?

Were you trying to lower the screws? Suprdave

It seems like the filister polepiece screw threads are not tap-keyed into the bobbin flatwork, and have slipped.

But all will be known in the fullness of time.

Have you tried fine-nosed pliers and cloth wrapped around the ends, and turn as you gently pull? If not, maybe take the pickup carefully apart and attack from the other side with pressure, and turn with a screwdriver at the same time.

If you can get them to rise, you should be able to put a dab of silicon on them underneath, to firm them up (oil the threads a little beforehand).

If they are not salvageable, you could buy replacements.. they are not expensive on e-Bay.

– richard brown

– ritchie

removed it.

This is an easy fix, just replace them with TV Jones pick ups :)

– Jeffrey James

– mainsoda

uh.....yeah. That was my first thought. But 'cept I wanted to do that on my timeline, not because I was forced to by current extenuating circumstances, donchaknow. ;-)

There are these little screwdrivers you can get where the head is split and expands to grab the screw. Were you trying to lower the screws?

– Suprdave

– Suprdave

Raise 'em. Scroll down to post 24 and you'll see what I wanted to accomplish.

I thought of using an easy-out. And then I thought I don't want to destroy the original screw.

I'm sorry Jim. I misread. My eyes are getting old too. Did you raise one screw and the one next to it sink in? Those pictures are difficult to read for my eyes. I would see if it would help to pull the pickup and see what's going on on the back side. I have never had a pickup apart so I don't even know if that's a good idea. It may have a cover on the back of the pickup. that certainly is strange though.

expandable head screwdriver

The same thing happened to me with the Gretschbuckers on my 5120. I was planning on replacing them anyway. ;-)

My 5120 came with a few G'bucker poles already stripped. I used a magnet to raise them and the wax potting seems to hold them up good enough for now.

" these two screw heads actually sank deeper into their cavities. And now I can't raise them."

Likely the screws pass through a plastic bobbin and the threading on the bobbin has stripped. You might try taking the pickup out (loosen the strings, careful of where the bridge slides off to - tape it in place - remove the pickguard and then the pickup bezel screws). Put a finger or something on the bottom of the screw, and gently push as you thread the screw back.

Once the heads are far enough out and have the pickup put back, you could use something like a fork to gently lift the head as you turn the screw.

if you need i have a few of those pickups i can give you if you ruined your's

Anne, you are probably the most kind-hearted and generous person on this forum. We are lucky to have you here!

– Anne Flener

– Anne

Thanks, Anne. That's a most generous offer. Let me see what I can do to salvage the situation. I think all is not lost.

Mission accomplished. I removed the pickguard, taped down the bridge, loosened the strings, and removed the bridge pickup. With a little gentle upward pressure from my finger, I managed to raise the sunken screws with a small flathead screwdriver. In remounting the pickup and pickguard, no screws were dropped in the cavity, and as they say in Oz "Bob's yer uncle.":D I'd have posted pix, but I see the wife has borrowed the camera.

Register Sign in to join the conversation