Pickups

DeArmonds bought from Duke Kramer

Hey - back in '92 I bought a new 6210-W, which came with Filtertrons. Around '94 I got ahold of Duke Kramer's phone number, as I heard he had DeArmonds for sale. I bought a gold-plated set that are still in that 6120 today. What I'm wondering is, are these NOS DeArmond/Rowe pickups, a third-party knockoff, or ??? This was too early for Fender to be involved, correct? Thanks for any information, appreciate it.

Post some pics of the pickups, specifically the magnets and side view; under the pickups if you can. Gretsch was releasing Dynasonic models in the '90's before getting involved with Fender, specifically the first-generation Duane Eddy model and perhaps a Duo Jet too.

I have a 94 6128-57RI - it's got silver Dynasonics - I don't think they're vintage. I'm trying to find some pictures I took of them when I had them pulled out.

I can't believe I kept all this stuff. It's been years!

BTW the "lighter, more comfortable feel" is B.S. It's a heavy guitar. LOL

I have a 94 6128-57RI - it's got silver Dynasonics - I don't think they're vintage.

Agreed.

Post some pics of the pickups, specifically the magnets and side view; under the pickups if you can.

Yep. That'll answer the question of vintage or reissue, and may show clues as to what era if vintage.

The hot glue is a sure sign that they're modern.

I can't believe I kept all this stuff. It's been years!

BTW the "lighter, more comfortable feel" is B.S. It's a heavy guitar. LOL

– Devil's Tool

Didn't Gretsch put out a totally solid Duo Jet with Dynas about 10 years ago? Maybe tap into the early Les Paul market....

They did. It must have weighed a ton.

A few ponderings -

1. I don't know who made the pickups that are in my jet, so there's that. We know they're not vintage but who made them?

2. I just weighed my '57 RI the other day and it came out to 9 lbs, 3 oz. I think the pickups make up the bulk of the extra weight.

3. I think I sidestepped the obvious question here - is something built in 1993 now VINTAGE ? GRIN

Presumably, whoever was making the ceramic Filtertrons for Gretsch at the time was making these. Having no experience with Jets way back when, I remember trying the modern Jets and not caring for the weight. When I tried one of the FMIC Chet Jet/Roundups I was pickin' and grinnin'. But they weren't cheap and I was able to put my dream ('57) Jet together, and boy is it light.

Billy Zoom is the one responsible for Gretsch getting the Jets back to vintage chambering that we all love today.

I think the stock Dynas used in the modern MIJ Gretsches were made by Tokiwa in Japan. No question, the earlier Jet "reissues" (I recall ceramic Filters w/ humpblock inlays) had Les Paul like heft. The '07 Terada made 6128TDS I had (and foolishly sold in a moment of pure foolishness and now regret) weighed in at a feather weight 7.2 lbs .......I have noticed that many of the current production Jets appear to be a bit heftier (even surprisingly the CS Jets) in the 8 lb plus range which may be light for a Les Paul but IMO, a bit hefty for a Jet.

IIRC, my '53 Jet weighed over 8lbs. Ed could confirm. My '57 was lighter, and my '56 was featherweight. Regardless of routing, I think they always ran the gamut just based on the variable density of the wood used.

Didn't Gretsch put out a totally solid Duo Jet with Dynas about 10 years ago? Maybe tap into the early Les Paul market....

– lx

I think it was an FSR for Wildwood.

Register Sign in to join the conversation