Pickups

DeArmond 2000 pole positions

Sorry if I missed it, but wasn't there a pole positioning guide for p'ups, including the DeArmond 2000 line that is in the 512x series? Sort of a how to guide for dummies like me to adjust them. If not could some nice soul explain in elementary terms how this is done? Thanks and I'll hang up and listen!

This is a pretty good guideline that I basically follow except that I have the B poles on my T-Armonds higher than this shows, so basically my poles almost follow the radius but I have the G dropped down low since that string stands out the most

Yep, it's dead simple. A plain G string is the loudest string on your guitar, plugged in, so you set the polepieces to follow the neck radius, more or less, and you drop the G pole until the G string wants to behave.

Very nice! I'm going to put you boys in fer a bonus! And, thanks!

IME I found modern DA 2000s can tolerate being much closer to the strings than modern Gretsch Dynas. The slugs are much shorter thus not as strong. I lower the poles flush on the bridge pickup and raise the coil up close. Like 1 or 2 nickels' thickness close. The neck gets treated like above. Overall I use my ears and the DAW to help.

Very nice! I'm going to put you boys in fer a bonus! And, thanks!

– BigJImSlade

Glad we can help! And dont forget about raising or lowering the whole body of the pickup, that also makes a difference. As BorderRadio mentioned the poles being different on 2000s, I only have experience with stock Gretsch Dynas and T-Armonds FWIW. Here's a pic of the difference in my pickup and pole heights to get them to balance nicely, I think I nailed it, no change in volume when switching.

And pole heights, this pic is before I raised my B pole back up after more playing

Outstanding pics and suggestions! Sir, I am indebted. Thank you.

I thought the DeArmond 2000 was a race, and you were going to tell me who qualified for starting positions.

I suppose they'd hold it at a decaying track outside Toledo, make it a real endurance run. I was going to say I didn't think pole position would matter much in a 2000-mile race.

Harrumph.

I thought the DeArmond 2000 was a race, and you were going to tell me who qualified for starting positions.

I suppose they'd hold it at a decaying track outside Toledo, make it a real endurance run. I was going to say I didn't think pole position would matter much in a 2000-mile race.

Harrumph.

– Proteus

I think by DeArmond 2000 Pole positions, the OP meant that there are 2000 positions that pole dancers can get into, or that there are 2000 positions that they can take on issues, all documented by DeArmond.

Ah. So Harry had a secret life, codifying the postures for the pole yoga industry. Wonder where he did his research.

Proteus, all true Hoosiers know about pole position.

i always adjust the pickups by first finding a height where the whole pickup sounds OK and then, starting with the top string (which i find the most problematic) adjusting the polepieces. once i find the best setting for the top string, i then go across the guitar treble-to-bass adjusting the polepieces so the level matches.

I took the pickup on and off a great many times and tried different sized bits of foam. Then raised and lowered the wonky poles a great many times. Then I left it alone and now play an Airline Twin Tone with cheapo GFS surf 90s. That worked quite well. Now off back to my troll cave

I'll never look at my pole positions the same again..

Be sure to use pure nickel strings, because the magnets will pull the lower strings out of tune if they're steel.

Some nights I feel like I use Kryptonite strings, many other times I feel like the Son Of Flubber. Actually, I do use nickel - mainly 11's, occasionally 10's, and I like some 12's on a few guitars. Never used 13's or 9's, tho'.

absolutely..strings make all the difference!!...not just about wound g vs unwound...but string material!..strings made from stainless steel and cobalt are going to have far greater magnetic reaction with pickup than pure nickel strings (as bz suggested)...and i agree

dynasonic 2000s have magnet polepieces..like fenders..( tho in a much weirder way...since they are moveable..and have all that extra elevator apparatus)...but, like fenders if strings are too close to magnets..get what they call strat-itis...mags pull at strings (bz)

so dyna pickup polepieces have to be adjusted accordinngly

cheers

Wow--i made this adjustment and it's fantastic!!! Really digging the m75t now!

Register Sign in to join the conversation