Pickups

Dearmond 200 dates of manufacture

Just wondering if anyone knew when Dearmond stopped making the 200 pickup?

You're missing a zero. I think this is from the 1964 catalog. DeArmond pickups and Melita bridges were available in most music stores.

Billy, you've showed us this catalog page a few times so we know it's correct (in 1964). Yet most places on the internet keep referring to the original as model "200" although I have yet to see documentation confirming this name.

This only gets more confusing because the modern DeArmond 2000 (FMIC) is nothing like the original DeArmond or any Gretsch Dynasonic.

They were still being used on a number of guitars in the early 70's.

They made a sound hole version called the 210.

I was just reading an article by local poster neilDA(Dan Formosa) on little known cult pickups and in a discussion of Gibson Alnico V Staple pickups (Gibson's version of a DeArmond)he states that the original DeArmonds were called 200's, then Dynasonics by Gretsch. Maybe the 2000's in BZ's advert is the '64 version which had slightly different, more rounded casings and were of different heights for bridge and neck? Marketing is no friend of facts.

The modern DA2000 was used by Gretsch from 1999 to 2008, from what I could find in the database. A 10 year run.

Marketing is no friend of facts.

Either is history.

They were still being used on a number of guitars in the early 70's.

– Billy Zoom

A few years back I saw an advertisement for them from the early '80s, including prices with complete harnesses. I didn't save the image, so I can't be 100% positive. But I could swear it was around 1984 and it stuck with me because I was shocked that they were being made that late. I guess it's also possible that they were old stock, but the company was still around, so I assumed that they were current production.

I believe that the 200 reference was a misprint that has carried through and has become history (alternate facts?), My understanding is that it has always been the DeArmond 2000.

Of course, I have been wrong before and will probably be wrong again.

A few years back I saw an advertisement for them from the early '80s, including prices with complete harnesses. I didn't save the image, so I can't be 100% positive. But I could swear it was around 1984 and it stuck with me because I was shocked that they were being made that late. I guess it's also possible that they were old stock, but the company was still around, so I assumed that they were current production.

– Afire

Not past '83. I know this as I just bought my first electric then, a '56 6120 and the bridge bobbin was broken. The shop in SF (Starz Guitars?) had to really dig around for months and could only find a white bobbin version. Sounded great though.

These guys are pretty complete with their information and they maintain there was no vintage 200; they say it was always a 2000 as BZ said. The fact that they even address the confusion (which others don't) makes me believe them. That and the fact that they knew that Gretsch first called the pickup "Fidelatone" before they called it a Dynasonic makes me think these guys did their homework.

These guys are pretty complete with their information and they maintain there was no vintage 200; they say it was always a 2000 as BZ said. The fact that they even address the confusion (which others don't) makes me believe them. That and the fact that they knew that Gretsch first called the pickup "Fidelatone" before they called it a Dynasonic makes me think these guys did their homework.

– lx

Thank you. It's nice to know that some of my brain lint has a basis in reality.

Thanks for the info....yeah I meant the 2000 model. It gets so confusing with DeArmonds! Which companies used black faced ones on their guitars in the 60's?

Thanks for the info....yeah I meant the 2000 model. It gets so confusing with DeArmonds! Which companies used black faced ones on their guitars in the 60's?

– tabletop

Guild used white bobbin and Martin used black, but usually with a different casing. Not sure about others and as BZ's ad shows they were available singly.

Thank you. It's nice to know that some of my brain lint has a basis in reality.

– Don Birchett

Brain lint! What a perfect term for that effect. I'll be using that.

Register Sign in to join the conversation