Pickups

DeArmond 1100’s @ Archtop.com

For the acoustic archtop / floating pickup crowd... one of the classic pickup designs of the 20th century is apparently being produced again. I'm no longer in the market myself, but just thought I'd post a heads up. I was just browsing the Archtop.com site, and came across this news. I haven't tried the new ones, nor have I read any reviews, so I can't vouch for the quality. But I did own and use a vintage example back in the day, and of course heard the originals on many recordings. So, FWIW...

https://www.archtop.com/ac_...

These folks/this website is IMO, the premier site for anything you need for your archtop. They appear to sell only the finest quality of parts, and guitars of course. They're a one-stop shop. If I were still in the market for an archtop, this is where I'd shop for it.

Buying guitars at a distance is always a risk, and especially with very vintage and very expensive archtops where there may be things the owner doesn't know about or may be hiding. In any case, these folks at Archtop are the experts who, when they take in a guitar on consignment, give it a thorough going over so you're assured the guitar won't have any issues when you get it. Years ago, a friend of mine travelled to their facilities and looked over many guitars and bought a vintage Epiphone. He's been playing it professionally ever since and has only ever had to change strings.

I'll need to decide on one of these. I have tried a few piezo pickup types for my old Epi Emperor...the PUTW undersaddle actually was quite nice, needed a fair amount of EQ.

Never had any confidence or desire to over pay for an old, used Rhythm Chief...but, they are the standard.

Makes me want an archtop acoustic again just so I can buy a DeArmond floater.

For the acoustic archtop / floating pickup crowd... one of the classic pickup designs of the 20th century is apparently being produced again. I'm no longer in the market myself, but just thought I'd post a heads up. I was just browsing the Archtop.com site, and came across this news. I haven't tried the new ones, nor have I read any reviews, so I can't vouch for the quality. But I did own and use a vintage example back in the day, and of course heard the originals on many recordings. So, FWIW...

https://www.archtop.com/ac_...

– JimR56

Their prices on cables are outrageous! $50 for a molded end 1/8" to 1/4" wire? The screw on terminal is old school, but still too high at $50 as well.

reissues been out awhile now

good comparison by the great european luthier frans elferink

cheers

I bought a couple of the new 1100's a while back. They sounded good.

However a short while after getting them the little spring clip in one that held it onto the 'stick' broke inside the pickup and the pickup started being intermittent. I took it apart to check it out and the windings had been compromised when the spring clip broke.

I think they sound good but perhaps they aren't built terribly well. They do look great!

Register Sign in to join the conversation