Pickups

clones of Guild HB-1 pickups?

since finding out that Stephen Stills played a Guild Duane Eddy model during the Buffalo Springfield years i've become interested in Guilds with their peculiar flavor of humbucking pickup. i can't find anybody that's making an aftermarket repro. i gather that Guild has been making these with the original dimensions, which are slightly different to a Gibson PAF. are these any good compared to the old ones? i'd prefer not to spend $400-500+ for a set of vintage PUs.

also, would there be major complications (i.e. more hassle than a couple of screw holes in the top or the kind of rout-enlargement that one can do with a few hand files) to installing these PUs in a guitar with P90s? i'm thinking of doing this with one of the Newark Street X-175s, which look to be similar in dimensions and depth to the Duane model.

If you go on the Guild website, you will find that Guild is making repros of many of their pu's, including the LB1 (mini humbuckers), HB1 (fullsize humbuckers), Franz Single Coils, and even the much sought after Dearmond Rhythm Chief. The good news is they can all be ordered from Guild and are reasonably priced. Better yet, most Guild experts find them to be extremely close in sound and construction to the originals. The only issue I am aware of is with the LB1 mini 'buckers which have an output imbalance between the neck (7.2K) and bridge (5.06K). Also, be aware that the HB1's are larger than typical Gibson style 'buckers. Regarding the Duane Eddy model Guild, the earlier ones came with the same Dearmond pu's (ie "Dynasonics") as Eddy's Gretsch 6120 and later Guild Eddy models had Guild LB1 mini 'buckers. I don't know which pu's Still's Guild DE had. Compared to a vintage DE model, the current X175 is the same width (17") but the DE's were much thinner in depth.

there was a thread about Neil Young's 6120s on here a little while ago which is where i first saw Stephen with the DE model, and his guitar definitely had the 'buckers.

as far as the depth goes, it looks like that's about as close as i could get to the DE even though the 175 is deeper.

since finding out that Stephen Stills played a Guild Duane Eddy model during the Buffalo Springfield years i've become interested in Guilds with their peculiar flavor of humbucking pickup. i can't find anybody that's making an aftermarket repro. i gather that Guild has been making these with the original dimensions, which are slightly different to a Gibson PAF. are these any good compared to the old ones? i'd prefer not to spend $400-500+ for a set of vintage PUs.

also, would there be major complications (i.e. more hassle than a couple of screw holes in the top or the kind of rout-enlargement that one can do with a few hand files) to installing these PUs in a guitar with P90s? i'm thinking of doing this with one of the Newark Street X-175s, which look to be similar in dimensions and depth to the Duane model.

– macphisto

The advantage of going this route, and ordering the repro HB-1s directly from the Guild website is that all the Guild reissue pickups (aside from the Rhythm Chief) use quick connects. The HB-1s are currently in use in the Polara reissue, which has 2 x 500K tone pots and 2 x 500K volume pots, as does the X-175. With your proposed swap, the rest of the electronics stay in place. So, other than a few screw holes, which would be hidden by the HB-1s, just unplug the old, enlarge the routs, plug in the new, screw them to the top and adjust. It should be a pretty easy, straightforward conversion. The ONLY concern I would have is making sure you could adjust the HB-1s high enough to the strings; otherwise you may need some sort of spacers on the bottom of the new rings. The 175 has a higher neck set than the Polara, which I believe is the only current Guild offering using the HB-1s. As the previous poster mentions, you can buy the HB-1s directly from the Guild website, with all rings, screws and springs for $80 each. Plus, you will have no problem selling the Franz repro pickups (here on the GDP or elsewhere) from the 175 to offset your costs.

If you choose to go this route, you may even be able to modify and use your existing pickguard.

https://shop.guildguitars.c...

If you are looking for Guild LB-1s in a hollow body they were standard in the Guild CE-100D Capri, which included a Guild Bigsby. I think it was discontinued recently but I have one and it is a great guitar.

https://guildguitars.com/g/...

that's what got me started on this idea...the local guitars-'n'-oddities shop has a used Capri in, but it's rather too dear at over $1500 and i don't care for the Florentine cutaway.

Here is a review of an S-100 guitar that has the new HB1s in it. This is by Gary Donahue (otherwise known as GAD) who reviews a lot of Guild guitars. If he doesn't like something, he is not afraid to let people know about it. His review was quite favorable of them and he is a big HB1 fan.

https://www.gad.net/Blog/20...

If you want your X175 to sound like Stephen Stills' Duane Eddy model, you would need to mount LB-1 mini humbuckers and not the fullsize HB-1's. From the spec's on the Guild Site, it does appear that the LB-1's w/ mounting rings would probably cover all the holes from the Franz dogear pu's. That being said, as mentioned previously, the NS CE-100 Capri reissues come stock with LB-1's and are great sounding guitars. You might be able to score a nice used one for a decent price.

As Mac states in the first post, Stills played a Guild Duane Eddy model in the Buffalo Springfield period and is the humbucker sound he is interested in. Regardless of whether it was the DE-400 or the more ornate DE-500, both had the full-size, HB-1 humbuckers after the Duane Eddy model had transitioned from D'Armond Dynasonics. The DE model never had the smaller LB-1s.

As Mac states in the first post, Stills played a Guild Duane Eddy model in the Buffalo Springfield period and is the humbucker sound he is interested in. Regardless of whether it was the DE-400 or the more ornate DE-500, both had the full-size, HB-1 humbuckers after the Duane Eddy model had transitioned from D'Armond Dynasonics. The DE model never had the smaller LB-1s.

– MadScience

This didn't sound right to me so I checked the Guild reference, The Guild Book by Hans Moust. According to Hans, the DeArmonds were replaced in 1964 by the small Anti-Hum humbuckers. He did not give a date for the change to the HB-1s but that would have been, IIRC, in the last couple of years in the 60s. They dropped Duane's name from the pickguard in 1968. They were still the DE-400 and 500 but DE no longer meant Duane Eddy (probably the biggest thing was that Duane no longer got royalties). I don't believe the HB-1 was even available to use in 1964 when they made the switch from DeArmonds.

Don, I think you are right. Especially as I am now looking through that same book as I type. In the Pickups section earlier in the book, it says the larger, HB-1 was introduced in 1970. The other clue is the 3 adjustment screws on the larger HB-1s, with 2 on the bass side and 1 on the treble side. The smaller of the 2 humbuckers have only 1 adjustment screw per side.

If you look at the close up picture in this thread on the GDP from a couple months ago, you can clearly see the single, bass side pickup height adjustment screw on the smaller LB-1 (or Anti Hum, as they were then called) pickup.

I stand corrected.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

It happens to all of us.

I followed the reference thread about the 12 string conversion and found a picture of Crosby playing it. Apparently the pickups were changed along with the neck to a larger humbucker. Interesting.

Register Sign in to join the conversation