Pickups

Cleaning up Dearmond 2Ks

Hi all,

I just scored a Dearmond M75-T in great shape save for some superficial rust on some of the hardware, including pickup pole pieces and screw heads, which I've dealt with easily.

What i'm stumped on is how to deal with rust discoloration which has bled on to (or into?) the white pickup tops.

I used a pencil eraser (in my drill) and WD 40 to remove the rust from the pole pieces and screws, but it has no effect on the tops - which I assume are plastic.

Any thoughts on how to remove the discoloration short of sanding?

thanks, Jptron

Can you take the pickup apart and replace the top?

Try a "magic eraser". It's a very mild abrasive

Thanks guys, but I think I solved it with a paste of baking soda and white vinegar, using a combo of my finger tip and pencil eraser to rub out the discoloration. Took a while and many applications. Doesn't look brand new but all the brown is gone. Afterward, I used a new tooth brush and a tooth pick to get the residue out of all the nooks and crannies then wiped down with damp cloth to get any dried vinegar off.

I'm hoping nothing that can do damage got down into the pickup wiring. (Vinegar and copper??) We'll have to wait and see, I guess. Worse case scenario I'll replace the pups. Honestly, I could spend $300 on pickups and the guitar would still cost me 200-300 less than what these are going for on Reverb, etc.

Don, I don't think these come apart based on pics I found online, including here: https://reverb.com/item/210...

You can get them apart but it is very easy to break the coil; I'd avoid it if possible. Those are great pickups; very well balanced and rich sounding. They got around the microphonics by using shorter magnets and the frequency response is more uniform than the Gretsch Dyna'sonics. I never understood the "dyna-lite" label that these pickups got, other than the fact that they have a little less bass response than the Dyna'sonics. Congrats.

The DeArmond M75-T guitars have DeArmond 2K's, not to be confused with Electromatic DeArmond 2000's, not to be confused with vintage DeArmond 2000's (not 200's, right BZ?) aka Dynasonics. All different.

I replaced the pickups on my M75 with P90's. I don't like the fake DeArmonds, and that body sounds a little thin even with real DeArmonds. The Kent Armstrong Vintage P90's made a big improvement.

They sound good with T-Armonds too, but not as ballsy.

The DeArmond M75-T guitars have DeArmond 2K's, not to be confused with Electromatic DeArmond 2000's, not to be confused with vintage DeArmond 2000's (not 200's, right BZ?) aka Dynasonics. All different.

– Charlie Vegas

You're right Charlie; I responded without noticing the 2K reference.

Register Sign in to join the conversation