Pickups

Change DeArmond Pick up to Filtertrons

Hi, Does anyone know if you can swap a DeArmond pickup that comes in a 57 Duo Jet to a Filtertron without having to route out the guitar cavity or do you have to route it out to make it fit ? (which would be out of the question.)...thanks!

Why? If you've got an original '57 Duo Jet, you ought to keep it as original as possible. It's only original once.

If it is truly an original 1957 DJ then I agree with Wabash Slim. If it is a reissue then that's another issue. But in either way it is your guitar. TV Jones makes Filter'Trons in DeArmond style mounts so they should go in without carving up your guitar. You should be able to restore it with little or no sign that it was modified.

Jajaja, it’s a guitar, it’s not like Senorocho wants to draw a moustache on the Monalisa. TV Jones makes Filters in a Dynasonic mount so the swap is reversible.

Jajaja, it’s a guitar, it’s not like Senorocho wants to draw a moustache on the Monalisa.

Herrlich! :)

Uh, let's calm down for a second and pretend that Gretsch hasn't been issuing a '57 model jet since....uh....1994?

I don't know the answer (I suspect that dynasonics are bigger/wider so shims of some sort would be required.)

edit - or Nick has the answer

Jajaja, it’s a guitar, it’s not like Senorocho wants to draw a moustache on the Monalisa. TV Jones makes Filters in a Dynasonic mount so the swap is reversible.

– Nick45

This. TV Jones has got you covered.

– Nick45

Actually the Mona Lisa would be much improved by a fancy mustache and it wouldn't look inappropriate either.

Actually the Mona Lisa would be much improved by a fancy mustache and it wouldn't look inappropriate either.

– Toxophilite

Marcel Duchamp is your man! He thought so 99 years ago.

Sure, it's just a guitar, but if it's a real '57, then it's a pretty valuable guitar and whether wiring mods are personally offensive to you, they might have an affect on value down the road. I don't think "original solder joints" matter on Gretsches the way they might on guitars like Strats that are frequently faked and cobbled together. But if one wanted to err on the side of caution, there's an easy solution. Just order a complete tone pot harness along with your DeArmond-mount FilterTrons. Pull the whole original harness intact and replace it all.

Will the pickups fit through the holes in the top?

Ha! That's some funny stuff, there.

Will the pickups fit through the holes in the top?

– Nick45

Good question. With the steampunk gadgetry under a DeArmond, maybe not. I don't think I've ever had occasion to try it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation