Pickups

Catswhiskers S-bucker?

Anybody try these?

http://www.catswhiskerpicku...

I was just wondering if there was a split-able humbucker with magnetic pole pieces to give one a nice clean fender type of sound when in single coil mode. This fellow seems to accomplish that and incorporate a coil ta tp keep the outputs of the split similar

I'm not familiar with this guy's pickups, but the principle is perfectly sound - and sounds good. Tom Presley (at the time Alvarez/Yairi/Electra/Westone product manager for St Louis Music) developed their "Magnaflux UBC" pickups in the early 80s, and they were used on a variety of their Japanese-built guitars until production went to Korea around 1987-88.

"UBC" meant "unbalanced-coil," and that meant that one coil of a humbucker was wound hotter, with one weaker. When the pickup was tapped for single-coil, the weaker coil was killed and the remaining hotter coil sounded much more like an authentic single-coil pickup than was the case with other tapped 'buckers of the day.

Those are fine pickups, pretty convincing (especially in the neck position). I don't think the poles themselves are magnetized, though - and they're ceramic-magnet, because that was a thing in the 80s. You can sometimes find the pickups on Reverbay, pretty inexpensively, because guys don't know what they are. They're usually labeled "MMK 45" on the back.

It sounds like Cats Whisker is taking a slightly different approach (though not much different) toward the same goal.

I won't say the tapped 'bucker sounds exactly like a single-coil on the Magnafluxes - nor does Cats Whisker claim theirs does. It's really close, though - and I'd say it nails a Strat single-coil or Tele neck. Just not as strong as a Tele bridge. (Nor as fat and warm as a P90.)

Don't know about the Cats Whiskers, but the aforementioned Magnaflux pickups totally rock in my old Electra X-340 MPC... The special 5-way switching still works like a dream too.

You might want to check out fellow GDP member Mel Waldorfs off-kilter-trons. I’ve got a st in a jazzmaster if u want to check them out.

Do you mean to say, Paul, that you:

a) may post some Off Kiltertron clips?

b) are selling your set?

c) are selling that Jazzmaster?

d) are offering to loan that guitar to [insert screen name here]?

b) are selling your set?

– Lacking Talent

HIlarious!

They sound interesting Paul, I looked them up. It'd be cool to hear them. Are you in town for XXXmas? I was initially looking at the Catswhiskers as I was contemplating them for my Yamaha Ae1200S which is routed for humbuckers but currently has a pair of those reissue 'vintage' strat pickups in it which is a nice sound in the Yamaha...which despite it's sunburst , is really quite a lovely playing and sounding instrument. It'd be cool to have both options though. Something Gretsch-alicious could be cool too.

HIlarious!

They sound interesting Paul, I looked them up. It'd be cool to hear them. Are you in town for XXXmas? I was initially looking at the Catswhiskers as I was contemplating them for my Yamaha Ae1200S which is routed for humbuckers but currently has a pair of those reissue 'vintage' strat pickups in it which is a nice sound in the Yamaha...which despite it's sunburst , is really quite a lovely playing and sounding instrument. It'd be cool to have both options though. Something Gretsch-alicious could be cool too.

– Toxophilite

I’m not back in town til Jan but u can take her for a spin after that

b) are selling your set?

– Lacking Talent

All things are for sale for the right price!!! (The jazzmaster that is)

Register Sign in to join the conversation