Pickups

Can pickups change a guitar??? Wolfetone pickup demo.

Just thought I would post this demo so you guys can hear this guitar. About a month ago, I put this PRS up for sale because I ABSOLUTELY hated the sound of the pickups. And it was shame, because the neck shape, the weight, and the beautiful flame top on it were just perfect. Well I was at a friend's house, and played his ES335 with Wolfetone pickups in it, and I just loved the tone of his Marshallhead bridge pickup, which is a slightly hot un-potted PAF style pickup. So I called Wolfe, and he set me up with a Marshallhead with a reversed magnet for the PRS 5 way switch, and a Dr Vintage neck pickup. And in a lifetime of changing pickups (I'm 62 and have been modding stuff since my 20's), I've never heard a set of pickups that so radically changed the character of a guitar. I am not it selling any more :)

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

very nice sounds, and not what i was expecting from PAFs. perhaps it's the build, the scale length, or your amp settings, but they're very non-woofy for humbuckers. lots of highs without being painful. it's like the difference between Franz P-90s and Gibson P-90s. is there anything unusual about the specs?

Great. I wouldn’t sell it either.

I knew that pickups were a lot of it, but guitar design, materials, construction must count for something...I guess sometimes stars align and pickups and a guitar just like each other a lot ... just like some guitars just sound better thru certain amps.

I am tweaky in a lot of ways but not a pickup experimenter once I find what I like, althought that evolves over time. But my tech around here has some dedicated pickup swappers and they're all down there on weekends getting the latest pickup purchases installed -- then they come out a month later.

sometimes you just get lucky and all the pieces fit. i'm not much on changing pickups because i'm not the best at soldering, but have done on my Strat and am delighted with the results. could i get more out of, say, the Epiphone SG with aftermarket PUs? possibly, but i like the ones that are in there fine. sounds just like an SG to me. i only change them if the original ones are inadequate.

i have all kinds of arcane theories about pickups, what kind of guitar construction works best with different types of PUs, etc., but i'll spare you the paragraphs of rambling. for now. bwaa haa haaaaa...

Daniel, which flavor of PRS pickups were in there before? I have a Custom 22 with 85/15 pickups and I really like them. Just curious which variant you have. Killer tone and playing by the way.

My brother, Tom, has an Epiphone SG, that was sort of... meh sounding. His buddy has a Gibson Les Paul Studio, that had the best sounding Burstbuckers I've ever heard. They are the Burstbucker Pro (bridge) and Burstbucker II in the neck.

Well his buddy put a really hot pair of Seymore Duncan pickups in the Les Paul, and gave my brother the Burstbuckers. They transformed his meh Epiphone SG into a really good sounding guitar. I was surprised that it improved the sound so much.

The Les Paul, on the other hand, is now mono tone, high output, not very Les Paulish, and not my cup of tea. I just shook my head and thought "to each their own"!

very nice sounds, and not what i was expecting from PAFs. perhaps it's the build, the scale length, or your amp settings, but they're very non-woofy for humbuckers. lots of highs without being painful. it's like the difference between Franz P-90s and Gibson P-90s. is there anything unusual about the specs?

– macphisto

The specs are a low wind neck about 7.8 kohms, 8.8 kohms bridge, and they are unpotted. They are 4 wire for the spit coil stuff, and have a reversed magnet so they work with the PRS 5-way rotary switch.

Great. I wouldn’t sell it either.

– Baba Joe

Thanks Baba Joe!

I knew that pickups were a lot of it, but guitar design, materials, construction must count for something...I guess sometimes stars align and pickups and a guitar just like each other a lot ... just like some guitars just sound better thru certain amps.

I am tweaky in a lot of ways but not a pickup experimenter once I find what I like, althought that evolves over time. But my tech around here has some dedicated pickup swappers and they're all down there on weekends getting the latest pickup purchases installed -- then they come out a month later.

– DCBirdMan

I am definitely not a flavor on the month guy. I just heard some good tones coming off a friend's guitar and I thought I would try them in this PRS, and I got lucky, as you say right combination of things. Although I did many pickup swaps for people for work when I first quit my day job years ago, so I generally know what I like.

Daniel, which flavor of PRS pickups were in there before? I have a Custom 22 with 85/15 pickups and I really like them. Just curious which variant you have. Killer tone and playing by the way.

– Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy, they were the the Dragon I set. Neither pickup sounded good for my kind of playing which generally fall to the cleaner / bluesier side. I've heard PRS has made some great strides in the pickups in the last few years, but in their earlier models most of their pickups were high gain and too mid focused, as if, the man himself was building each and every one of them for Carlos Santana:) Or people that like to bring the "Heavy Metal Thunder". But it's not like these pickups now are just good for clean tones, check out their raunchy side...

My brother, Tom, has an Epiphone SG, that was sort of... meh sounding. His buddy has a Gibson Les Paul Studio, that had the best sounding Burstbuckers I've ever heard. They are the Burstbucker Pro (bridge) and Burstbucker II in the neck.

Well his buddy put a really hot pair of Seymore Duncan pickups in the Les Paul, and gave my brother the Burstbuckers. They transformed his meh Epiphone SG into a really good sounding guitar. I was surprised that it improved the sound so much.

The Les Paul, on the other hand, is now mono tone, high output, not very Les Paulish, and not my cup of tea. I just shook my head and thought "to each their own"!

– Wade H

You know Wade I've seen this story myself too many times to count. Many people asked me to pull excellent pickups out of their guitars to replace them with high gain potted noise-makersAnd many times, they gave me their old pickups or traded them for labor. For awhile I had a stash of Gibson T-Tops which were excellent sounding, but I gave them to friends not knowing how expensive they would get!!!

Pickups make a huge difference in the sound! So does using strings that you can't buy at Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Pickups make a huge difference in the sound! So does using strings that you can't buy at Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

– Billy Zoom

I use Thomastik and Pyramid strings they sound great and they last forever. I particularly love Thomastiks on hollow Gretsches, even their heavy gauge flatwounds feel flexible, and I like Maximum Performance roundwound Pure Nickel Pyramids on my DuoJet and Gibson’s.

Both your demos sound great (tasteful playing, BTW), thanks for sharing. Funny coincidence, I just landed a couple of early PRS "SE" line guitars I've always wanted, both in fantastic condition -- a solid body and a semi-hollow -- beautiful playing guitars, but each with a pickup set that isn't doing it for me, so you've given me another maker to think about!

Both your demos sound great (tasteful playing, BTW), thanks for sharing. Funny coincidence, I just landed a couple of early PRS "SE" line guitars I've always wanted, both in fantastic condition -- a solid body and a semi-hollow -- beautiful playing guitars, but each with a pickup set that isn't doing it for me, so you've given me another maker to think about!

– Lacking Talent

Fantastic, Wolfetone makes some nice pickups, and he's got everything 25% off because of COVID. My set cost $224.75 shipped. And for some Gretschiness in other guitars, I also love another pickup company Gabojo Amplification, and they have humbucker, P90, and Filtertron sized, DeArmond style pickups that sounds great, they are called the MR2000.

I have a 5120 in which I tried TVJones Classics. They were OK, but didn’t thrill. Then, Supertrons, still Ok. When I put in T’Armonds initial, it came alive and is now one of my favorite players. My band mate always wants to use it.

If they’re made different, they should sound different.

Fantastic, Wolfetone makes some nice pickups, and he's got everything 25% off because of COVID. My set cost $224.75 shipped. And for some Gretschiness in other guitars, I also love another pickup company Gabojo Amplification, and they have humbucker, P90, and Filtertron sized, DeArmond style pickups that sounds great, they are called the MR2000.

– Daniel Weldon

Great minds must think alike: I've had a set of Mr. 2000HB pickups (see above pic of box; they're the humbucker-sized, full length screw Dynas) sitting here a while now, just waiting to go into my G3161 -- excited!

Great minds must think alike: I've had a set of Mr. 2000HB pickups (see above pic of box; they're the humbucker-sized, full length screw Dynas) sitting here a while now, just waiting to go into my G3161 -- excited!

– Lacking Talent

I am very familiar with that bos:) Here's the MR2000SB pickup in my Zemaitis SUJ101LTD13...

https://i.imgur.com/nYsGUt7...

They sound great...

ALL the MR2000SB pickup demos you posted on your SoundCloud page are "tonerrific!" Also, what vocals!

ALL the MR2000SB pickup demos you posted on your SoundCloud page are "tonerrific!" Also, what vocals!

– Lacking Talent

Thanks LT, I really like them! You are going to love them when you get them installed. For the light kind of overdrive I use they are perfect!!! It was the T-Armonds in my 6120T that got me interested in DeArmond style pickups, especially for rhythm guitar, they just sit in the mix the way I like!

As for the singing, I've been working on that for awhile:)

– Lacking Talent

Thanks LT, I really like them! You are going to love them when you get them installed. For the light kind of overdrive I use they are perfect!!! It was the T-Armonds in my 6120T that got me interested in DeArmond style pickups, especially for rhythm guitar, they just sit in the mix the way I like!

As for the singing, I've been working on that for awhile:)

Register Sign in to join the conversation