Pickups

bucker P-90s??

Well I had Fralins and they were good -- other hum canceling P-90s on the scene anyone likes? Need a pair with cream covers, for this Revelation Jazzmaster 12 wth P-90s size single coils, add to my growing collection of Chinese Pickups No One Wants.

If the body is deep enough Seymour Duncan makes a stacked P90 that I use in the lapsteel’s that I build. I install a push/pull tone pot so you have both options.

Hey thanks Curt. Seems like Duncan has just about all the bases covered.

But Seymour Duncan is horrible to do business with. They're real jerks. FWIW, I think Kent Armstrong makes the best P90 type pickups.

Mojo make an interesting noiseless P90 which I would love to try. I tried the Fralins but they didn't sound very P90-like to me. I was really disappointed in them. I think the problem (for me) is that the guitar I have with P90s in it sounds so good with the stock Gibson low-wind P90s i don't want to push my luck by changing them.

But if I do try some noiseless P90s again it will most likely be the Mojotone ones.

You know, I really, really like those Alnico pole P90s that come in the Revelation 12 string. I have a Revelation 6 too which has regular P90s and am not at all adverse to the idea of switching them out for the pole-type.

At last. Somebody who loves your throw-out pickups, Birdman!

Mojo make an interesting noiseless P90 which I would love to try. I tried the Fralins but they didn't sound very P90-like to me. I was really disappointed in them. I think the problem (for me) is that the guitar I have with P90s in it sounds so good with the stock Gibson low-wind P90s i don't want to push my luck by changing them.

But if I do try some noiseless P90s again it will most likely be the Mojotone ones.

– JimmyR

Bummer. I was thinking of trying Fralin's noiseless "P90 in a dyna shell" pickups for my Starfire. He does have a clip up on youtube of his own ES225 with a custom set that uses a 42 gauge wire instead of the 43, and those seem twangy enough. He says something in that clip about them being a custom item "because they'd be too bright and twangy for most people", so I might ask him about those...

Chris Kinman (Kinman pickups) makes some very cool P-90 variants.

Register Sign in to join the conversation