Pickups

Blacktop FT’s and Strat middle

I'm purchased a set of blacktop filtertrons recently and plan to install them in a Strat. I'd also like to install a Strat middle pickup in as well. The desire is to have a Strat sound when using the middle pickup as well as the 'quack' in positions 2 and 4.

What should I be looking for to be a suitable middle for the Blacktops? Is a low output pickup around 6k? RWRP or normal winding/polarity?

I have a TV Jones Power'Tron in the bridge of my Strat, the middle pickup is a bridge Fender Tex-Mex pickup and the neck pickup is a Rose Robusta which I believe is similar to a Fender Fat 50's. They all balance really well together. I specifically used the bridge Tex-Mex for the middle position because the middle pickup in the Tex-Mex set is RWRP. Reversing the wind changes the quack sound a bit. It's subtle but noticeable. I'm pretty sure you could use any standard middle Strat pickup and get it balanced with height adjustments.

your'e not going to get the 2/4 position classic strat quack with humbucker/filtertrons in the 1st and 3rd pickup spot...only if the blacktops can be coil split, then you are in business...but with a volume drop!

cheers

This is the first I've heard about Rose Robusta pickups (though I'm pretty sheltered on boutique brands). I googled them and it appears Ken has closed up shop at the end of Aug.

your'e not going to get the 2/4 position classic strat quack with humbucker/filtertrons in the 1st and 3rd pickup spot...only if the blacktops can be coil split, then you are in business...but with a volume drop!

cheers

– neatone

Thanks Neatone. This is the information I am trying to understand. Have you tried this 'configuration' before and if so, why doesn't it 'quack'?

Thanks Neatone. This is the information I am trying to understand. Have you tried this 'configuration' before and if so, why doesn't it 'quack'?

– dimmy

With my Strat with a Power'Tron bridge there is a kind of quack with the bridge and middle engaged but it's a fuller sound because of the way the single coil reacts with the humbucker as opposed to two single coils interacting.

This is the first I've heard about Rose Robusta pickups (though I'm pretty sheltered on boutique brands). I googled them and it appears Ken has closed up shop at the end of Aug.

– dimmy

Damn… I’ve used two sets of his pickups. I hate to see that. I would have ordered some more if I’d known about that deadline.

Next, I guess I’ll try Billy Zoom’s suggestions for the Dimarzio “Red Velvet” line.

sorry to derail.

I did that. The Red Velvets totally jump started my Strat.

– dimmy

Given the "tone" of some of the updates on the page about the wait time, I think he probably got sick of people pestering him about the lead/wait time on the pickups and called it quits. If that's the case, it would probably have been useful to hire a family member or college kid for an hour a day to handle the communication or something so he was shielded from it. Not a great place to be.

– dimmy

As far as I understand, it won't quack because the quack is caused by the pickups being reversed in polarity compared to one another. A humbucking pickup doesn't have a polarity in the same way because it's essentially cancelling its polarity out to avoid hum.

You could probably achieve "quack" by using a dynasonic in the middle instead of a 'tron.

Someone please correct my information if I'm wrong on the "whys."

Register Sign in to join the conversation