Pickups

Attention guitar geeks. Anyone recognize this pickup?

I've ended up with this pup. What have I got?

While I'm at it, this came off the same guitar. I assume it's off a 70s Jap lawsuit type. Maxon stamped + pat pend. Any info welcome.

Yeah, I know it's off an Ibanez.

It looks very much like the Bill Lawrence pickup that Mike Oldfield had in his Tele.

Where's Neotone? He knows everything.

This is what they came off. I'm re-furbing it. Project thread to follow.

It looks very much like the Bill Lawrence pickup that Mike Oldfield had in his Tele.

– Mr Tubs

Give that man a cigar.

Hi Tony. A slightly belated happy new year over to ol' London town! Sorry for not having responded to the nice Christmas video you sent. I really enjoyed that but I've got my head spinning lately.

What I see in your picture looks a lot like a Bill Lawrence / Billy Lorento / Willy Stich pickup from the late 60s/very early 70s. They are to be found on some interesting German guitars from various makers that were no cheapos at all back then. I have seen the polepieces with slot screws, hex screws and even blades. Here's one with slot screws.

Cheers, Sascha

Edit: Tubs beat me to it.

HNY to you & your good lady Sascha. Hah, Steve Marriott used my pickup.

Cool! Love Steve's stage moves in the video.

And while we are at it: May I ask how you came across Noel Gallagher whom you mentioned in the JM thread?

Not so keen on Mike Oldfield but what the heck.

Cool! Love Steve's stage moves in the video.

And while we are at it: May I ask how you came across Noel Gallagher whom you mentioned in the JM thread?

– sascha

Yup, love Steve Marriott. I saw Humble Pie in Hyde Park in 1971, with Grand Funk Railroad & Head Hands & Feet, with Albert Lee. I was about 13, what a great gig. I'm in touch with Clive Brown & last time I spoke to him he asked if I was interested in doing Noel's JM. I suspect Clive's 6 month waiting list put him off. I guess Clive must like my work.

I guess Clive must like my work.

Pretty sure he does. (I know I love my Tony Telecaster.) Hope he tells Noel that you did the work.

I have a pair of those pickups---BL15s from Bill Lawrence. Bought them nearly 50 years ago in England for 20 quid. Took me over 40 years and a lot of internet searching to find out what they were. Very P-90-ish.

thanks for the vote of confidence tony b!! haha

it's a framus era pickup...who's main designer was indeed the great bill lawrence...bill lawrence was like the scientist of pickups...rip

i've measured them before..if i remember they had around a 4k resistance...single coil..kind of in the same ballpark as hilo-trons..or even dano lipsticks

gettin your brian jones on i see!!! hah

cheers

maxon/ibanez are now fairly well regarded ie collectible....early japanese gibby humbucker copy...some of those early ibanez humbuckers are highly prized

im thinkin it's a super 70...1974 march 29

cheers

Thanks Neo. The BL measures 8.9 on my meter. I thought super 70s were stamped on the back. I've heard of lawsuit Jap pups being put in Gibbos. Hah, a copy being better than the original.

– tonyb

This is superb. Teetering on the edge of punk and progressive. Very exciting in 1968. No one knew where music was heading. You were always on the edge of your seat.

Odgen's nut gone flake is one of my fave albums.

LOVE that video, Steve is fired up, even as a backup singer, his voice cuts through the mix. AS for the pickup, I believe its a very early Ibanez example, and I also don't think it was a Super 70,they weren't out until the late 70's if I'm not mistaken.

Although they don't show close ups of pickups, here's a great site for all older Ibanez Guitars, I've been using this site as a reference for years.

Link

You got it Tony. I talked about this pickup on another forum once upon a time.

I wish the guy in the Small Fakers would find that, or this, discussion as I'd like to hear one live.

http://www.tdpri.com/thread...

Register Sign in to join the conversation