Pickups

Any non TVJ filters worth considering

Hello GentleGretchers,

Longtime lurker, but only second post on here.

I have a Player’s Edition Black Falcon that I put Setzer Sigs in. The HS Filters were cool in a greasy sort of way, but I wanted more twang, clarity and note separation in the wound strings especially. The Setzers pretty much deliver that.

To my ears, the bridge sounds a bit too meaty in the low-mids if I’m playing in my bedroom, but it is a bit of a secret weapon in a mix as it cuts through very nicely, at which point I just hear a punchy bridge filtertron with lots of nice string to string separation.

However, I’m wondering if another iteration of filter out there would cut the difference between a Setzer bridge and a Classic bridge!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe a TV Supertron in the bridge? But I still want twang and clarity, which the Supertron may lack.

Maybe a non TVJ, like Lollar’s true to size filtertron offering (not the full humbucker size), or a Mojotone filtertron?

I know pickup resistance doesn’t tell the whole story but the alternatives above do fall in between a bridge TB Classic and the Setzer.

Any thoughts, suggestions or admonitions?

quite a few people out there making good Filtertrons these days, but if you're after chimey, bright and that note separation, I think TV Jones is probably it.

Setzer Sig neck and a TV Classic Plus bridge is one of my favorite combos.

I would call TV Jones Directly You can not get any better!

I have no experience with it but Curtis Novak makes a Filtertron style pickup called the F-Tron and his stuff is great.

Setzer Sig neck and a TV Classic Plus bridge is one of my favorite combos.

– jarrodtaylor

You are not the first person to suggest this!

The reason I went with a Setzer in the bridge initially and not the TV Classic Plus is because I, perhaps erroneously, assumed that the Pluses would be too mid heavy and lack twang and chime, based on the ever elusive to understand resistance value they posses..but I'm considering just fookin' trying them already...the curiosity is now killing me

I would call TV Jones Directly You can not get any better!

– Mark Kunie

What a damn good idea!

Does he do custom jobs? Or he can just give me the straight dope on his offerings.

I have no experience with it but Curtis Novak makes a Filtertron style pickup called the F-Tron and his stuff is great.

– tabletop

I play Jazzmasters and Novak has a great reputation in that community for sure. I had no idea that he did a Filter style. Thanks for the knowledge injection. I'm going to hit him up too.

After further deliberation, I’m going back and forth on just trying a Classic plus, maybe unpotted, or checking out a non wax potted McNeally, that I found out about from that helpful chap above that posted the Guitar.com Filtertron shootout link.

Has anyone ever had TVJ do an unpotted Classic +? Did you gain any more chime or nice top end?

I’m not planning on doing more than AC/DC gain, mostly will play edge of breakup or light gain, but when I kick on a heavy fuzz it may be SqueelORama, I realize that.

I still need to email the TVJ shop and ask my questions too: results from any past non potted Classic +’s, can they do a lower wind Classic plus, or higher wind Classic - confirm that they are otherwise of the same construction.

Philosophically I’d like to stick with TVJ ...But that McNeally offering is wound at 5.25k, a little hotter than a Classic, which is in the range that I’m speculating I would like, so I’m very intrigued.

Any potential pitfalls with my thought process here?

Register Sign in to join the conversation