Pickups

Any new pickups compare favorably to 50’s Dynasonics?

I love the sound Jeff Beck gets with his Duo Jet on this youtube video where he's playing some of his guitars. Do ANY of the newer pickups come so close to that sound so one wouldn't need to get a 50's -60's Dynasonic for the bridge pickup?

Go to about 8:55

Could you be a bit more specific?

I suppose this is a topic vintage guys will argue with modern guys about, but I'm kinda with Johnny here. Either the Seymours or the TVJs are great pickups. I think the difference between a vintage guitar with Dynas and a modern guitar with either of those is more about the wood itself than the pickups.

I suppose this is a topic vintage guys will argue with modern guys about, but I'm kinda with Johnny here. Either the Seymours or the TVJs are great pickups. I think the difference between a vintage guitar with Dynas and a modern guitar with either of those is more about the wood itself than the pickups.

– Proteus

Don't forget the cost of the vintage ones. I happen to believe they're highly overpriced but they must be selling or the price would come down. If I needed a pair of DeArmonds, I'd definitely buy new. Being dead original is a concept that's lost on me. Everyone else's MMV.

I've seen the video of the T-Armond V. Duncan but I haven't seen a video of a 50's/60's Dynasonic V T-Armond or Duncan. THAT would be interesting.

I'm leaning towards the "subtitles" camp but the only thing I have to base that on is my experimentation with Rick Hi-Gain pups V. Tele, GFS (which to me sound crunchy/distorted) and others that don't really capture that Rick sound yet I have a Rutters made Tele body with a Rick pup in the bridge and a late 70's T-Top in the Neck that really sounds great. Even when playing with the band I can hear the difference that "only" that Rick pup has.

So, I wondering if the T-Armond or Duncan gets you there or if something is left out? I guess it depends on how true to the original design one gets with either of those pups. I'll have to check that.

Anyone ever A/B a older Dynasonic to a newer version?

Windsordave: I agree that some of the Dyna's seem to be very overpriced and some have lingered quite some time before being sold or pulled.

In 1978-79 I was making about $4.50/hour and if memory serves me I paid about $60 or so for one of my T-Top new. In today's money that would be about $115 which is on par with some of the pups being sold.

Double that for a more rare pickup and yes seeing the Dyna's going for $500- $800 each on some sites does seem rather excessive but as they say....supply and demand. I personally wouldn't pay $500 - $800 for one but perhaps $200-$300 for one in great shape.

I personally wouldn't pay $500 - $800 for one but perhaps $200-$300 for one in great shape.

And with a little effort, you can. You can get some whole guitars with DeArmonds for $500-$800 (i.e., early single pickup non-cutaway 618X Electromatics). Those asking prices for a single pickup are aimed at the severely impatient buyers.

White bobbin DeArmonds of the late '50's/"60's are almost the same pickup and are frequently used as replacements; much cheaper and all you have to do is paint them. A pair of Dynas came up within the last couple of weeks for under $200 each, but you have to be going to reverb and fleabay almost daily.

Are the new stock Gretsch Dynasonics constructed similarly to the vintage Dynasonics?

I've seen the video of the T-Armond V. Duncan but I haven't seen a video of a 50's/60's Dynasonic V T-Armond or Duncan. THAT would be interesting.

I'm leaning towards the "subtitles" camp but the only thing I have to base that on is my experimentation with Rick Hi-Gain pups V. Tele, GFS (which to me sound crunchy/distorted) and others that don't really capture that Rick sound yet I have a Rutters made Tele body with a Rick pup in the bridge and a late 70's T-Top in the Neck that really sounds great. Even when playing with the band I can hear the difference that "only" that Rick pup has.

So, I wondering if the T-Armond or Duncan gets you there or if something is left out? I guess it depends on how true to the original design one gets with either of those pups. I'll have to check that.

Anyone ever A/B a older Dynasonic to a newer version?

– Naquat

Yes, Toxophilite has recently compared old and new. I believe some of the info is in his thread on converting a convertible.

First off... I don't have experience with actual vintage Dynasonics. I currently have a mix of a T-Armond neck pickup and the original reissue Dynasonic that came with the guitar.

I have a 2006 Country Club with the modern Dynasonics. I don't think they are bad pickups, but I do think that the neck magnets are way too strong, which pulled my strings out of tune in a strange way if they were any taller than the black bobbin plastic. I would suspect that the originals which also had really long magnets would have similar issues, but maybe not?

TV Jones did a great job of remedying the neck magnet pull by making the magnets shorter. It sounds really good (again, I've never been able to A/B with originals) and was an immediate improvement that allowed the guitar to be useable in a band context.

The bridge dynasonic is a little on the harsh side, so I've been keeping my eye out for a used T-Armond bridge to replace it with and complete the set.

I would suspect that Seymour Duncan's pickup magnet pull on the neck magnets has probably also been reduced for extra flexibility, even though they are the closest modern replacement to the originals in construction.

Are the new stock Gretsch Dynasonics constructed similarly to the vintage Dynasonics?

– BuddyHollywood

The backs look very much alike; the magnets on the vintage have chamfered tops. Vintage ( '50's) came in one size only; modern have different size casings for neck and bridge, much like the sixties versions.

Keep in mind Jeff's comment at the beginning of the jet portion of the video and that he states he needs a brighter amp to get the sound out. Are you liking what you hear in the video because playing without a pick with make an impact too.

In summary I gather you are looking for both bright with some mid-range warmth, correct?

The modern stock Gretsch Dynasonics sound really good. It should be noted that modern Dynas and TV Jones pickups are both reverse wound compared to original DeArmond/Dynas or Seymours. This only matters if you mix them with other pickups. I have several of the Seymours that squeal too bad to be useable and I've tried to contact them about it but they won't even return my calls. They're real jerks at Duncan. I won't do business with then anymore.

Register Sign in to join the conversation