Pickups

Any Gold Foil Love here?

Just ordered a Lollar Gold Foil neck pickup for my 2006 White Penguin. Every audio clip I’ve heard from these sounds amazing. Curious if anyone here is a Gold Foil fan?

Following. I have a 2004 White Penguin.

I’ll post info when I get it, and let you know how the installation goes.

I put a vintage one into a '57 Rambler. It was "mustache" one. Not sure who made it. Very fun and bluesy. Wait, you're putting that into a Penguin? Oh, you have to record that, with pictures please. That will be too cool.

I love the gold foils in my Harmony Silhouette. They don't really sound like any other pickup....maybe a cross between a Hilo'tron and a Lipstick, is the best I can describe them.

Look up the Joe Gore Gold Foils demo on YouTube. Useful stuff.

Waiting for the Lollar gold foil...

Installed the Gold Foil today, it went pretty smoothly. Needed to make something to cover the stock screw holes in the body from the Dynasonic Mount as the gold Foil is a little narrower. The hole below the pickup is for the pick guard.

I used some material from a white Tele guard I wasn’t using. Made a template from the Dynasonic cover.

After cutting it to shape and drilling mounting holes I was able to locate where I wanted to drill the new holes in the body. It’s nice because a stock Dynasonic would drop back in with no visible alterations. The two new holes would be covered by the Dyna cover.

I did have to open up the pocket in the pick guard ever so slightly.

I will post some sound/ video in a day or two.
It has a bluesy tone, kinda like a P-90 only different. All 3 pick up positions sound very different now and very usable for what I do. The Gold Foil does clean up pretty nice with the volume on the guitar.

I guess I would say it’s like a P-90 with more funky “hair” to it. Definitely has some big bottom end and some nice clear treble. Yet.... it gets very unique when cranking the amp, can’t wait to try it with my full pedal board.

I just got a set of Curtis Novak "deArmond" goldfoils made in dynamount. Novak offers a few versions.

I just got a set of Curtis Novak "deArmond" goldfoils made in dynamount. Novak offers a few versions.

– TheNocturneBrain

Oh wow, he can do that? Did you have to supply the shells, or does he have them?

Had band rehearsal tonight, liking the guitar now. I’ve had it for well over a year and never really bonded with it. Much more of a rock and roll machine now.

Oh wow, he can do that? Did you have to supply the shells, or does he have them?

– WB

Dohhhh! Do you know I just pulled them out of the box and realized he used cotton pickin Ricky Toasters!!!! I didnt pay attention, as I asked for dyna shells. @#$&

Looks great Hipbone, you did a great job on the installation. I can't wait to hear how it sounds!

Looks great Hipbone, you did a great job on the installation. I can't wait to hear how it sounds!

– Wade H

Thanks Wade, it will be a little while before I post some sound / video. I had to send the pickup back to Lollar to deal with an issue of the pickup shorting out.
Not sure what happened, might have been something I did during the install. They were very nice on the phone about it. They are going to address it and send it back. I do like the way it sounds, and I think it looks like it belongs on the guitar.

Cool mod, nicely executed. It's probably no secrete that I'm a gold foil fan. I haven't tried all the modern reproductions but I do use a lot of the Lollar.

Link

Beautiful sounding guitar, and Kid Anderson is epic!

A little update on the Gold foil from Lollar.... The Penguin is starting to make it’s way into my set list.

Such a versatile tone now, it loves to be played clean and overdriven, the only hurdle now is to get used to no Bigsby.
The Gold Foil has an amazing tone and it is a great complement to the Powertron in the bridge. I’ll try and get some sound clips together.

Register Sign in to join the conversation