Pickups

Any Experience w/ TVJ Tele Pickups?

I just got a new/old Greco telecaster-ish guitar. It's an '87 TRS-120, otherwise called a "Guitar Device with Spirit Energy". Alder body, deeply carved quilted maple top, ebony board, CSB finish, gold hdwr. This was a Japanese market guitar, apparently listed for $1200 new way back then, so a nice guitar. And all that Spirit Energy! Woo-Hoo!

(I know, pics...)

ANYWAY, it originally had Maxon Dry noiseless pups in it. It still has the original bridge pup (which sounds great, BTW), but someone replaced the neck with a rather uninspiring old Gold Lace Sensor...meh...

Finding an old '80's Maxon Dry tele neck pup is needle-in-a-haystack tough. I'm thinking of a TV Jones Tele neck pup, but I have never heard one...or even seen one in the flesh. The description says it's a "Tele with T-armond flair". That's a little vague to me. I do really like T-armonds, but I also want this to sound like a Tele neck pup, so....

Anyone with any experience who could shine some light for me?

Someone posted sound clips either here or TVJones (maybe a NAMM show?) site and they were raving about it. I remember hearing them and really liked the sound 'tho I have zero experience with Tele's other than listening to them.

I played 'em in Frankfurt last year, they're stunning. Real 3D depth to them. They have dyna magnets in them which is where all the body and depth comes from. Still intrinsically tele-flavoured though.

Someone posted sound clips either here or TVJones (maybe a NAMM show?) site and they were raving about it. I remember hearing them and really liked the sound 'tho I have zero experience with Tele's other than listening to them.

– lx

Thanks! hadn't checked the TV site. The clip on there definitely sounds more T-armond-ish to me than Tele. I love T-armonds, but still want that sort of glassy Tele neck sound....

Cbell had a Set in a Tele and they were awesome!

Cbell had a Set in a Tele and they were awesome!

– Billy D Light

Sooooo....would you say the neck pup still sounded "glassy" like a good tele neck pup?

I have them in my #1 Telecaster (well, actually my only telecaster). They are outstanding in every way. Bold but still retaining the telecaster sound. The neck pickup is amazing!

Only tried the neck pickup so far but it is outstanding. Hints of DeArmond, extremely clear and sensitive, extended top end and very solid lows with a hint of mid scoop.

In fact it has a more extended treble response than the vintage spec Tele bridge pickup it is currently paired with and the in between tone is unbelievably pretty.

I've got them and really like the way they sound.

I put replaced the neck pickup in my Baja Tele with one, it's amazing. I love it. Definitely more T'Armond sounding but still retains some tele characteristics. I have a bigsby on my baja too which made it lose some snap that it originally had.

Anyone use a bridge only for an Esquire build?

Just a tad more scooped sounding than the T-armond soapbar but thats mostly because the regular T-armond has adjustable pole slugs and I have those tailored in heights for the sugarpine body. This Tele-style Tvjones neck pickup is in a rutters light ash guitar.

the Tvjones T-armonds in DeArmond mount and Soapbar mount have the fully adjustable individual magnet slugs..as they should.these Tele-style drop-ins have set slugs like a standard telecaster pickup and your adjustment comes only from bobbin height adjustment screws. Through pickguard or body mount, I prefer my tele neck pickup mounted directly to the body and so you cant see the screws hidden beneath the guard. If I had my choice I would like adjustable mags but there is NO mechanical way to have this available on this type of layout. And there is of course going to be a difference in response from the narrow, tall bobbin winding in this pickup compared to the bigger T-armond.

its a small bobbin telecaster pickup, and not built anything like a T-armond. You need T-armonds if you want vintage DeArmond sonic spectrum aided I think in part with is mechanical design. Dont confuse this tele-style pickup as a compact T-armond because its more of a supercharged 60s tele pickup but in the same breath there is that character to the response of the T-armond, could be the magnets. Similar plucky definition in the lows and jangle for chords just flatter eq across the highs, not as much power as a T-armond but compared to a stock tele pickup, which I dont care too much for, this creates a really big rhythm sound. Nice drop in upgrade. I need to use the guitar this weekend w the band to get a better feel, as just sitting in front of an amp doesnt define enough for me. I think I'll love singing with this tele more cuz the ash body needed more beef to lows and smoother top end for middle position.

instagram vid bites:

https://www.facebook.com/vi...

https://www.instagram.com/p...

Tavo,

So the Tele pups have less mids than the TAs? I would assume also less bass, due to the smaller bobbin size?

I've heard TA's described as "tele meets P90".... I wonder if the TVJ Tele pups are comparable to "hot vintage"/Texas Special type overwound tele pickups (tonally of course, not in construction)

Register Sign in to join the conversation